• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Problem with Oprah

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
I need your help guys. I have an innate disdain for Oprah and all things Oprah-related, especially her audience. However, I'm having a hard time articulating exactly why I hate her and her personality cult to other people without sounding vaguely racist/sexist/anything else-ist. After all, despite my opinions of her, I will admit that she's done a great deal of humanitarian activity.

Help!!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because she's rich and famous?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
I need your help guys. I have an innate disdain for Oprah and all things Oprah-related, especially her audience. However, I'm having a hard time articulating exactly why I hate her and her personality cult to other people without sounding vaguely racist/sexist/anything else-ist. After all, despite my opinions of her, I will admit that she's done a great deal of humanitarian activity.

Help!!

Probably because like most repressed alpha males, you despise and are made very uncomfortable by the chronic displays of emotion on her show, and the fact that she has brainwashed like 3 billion people, all the while occupying what is perceived to be the highest moral ground of any celebrity. I definately think that a lot of it is artifice, but the only reason someone would hate her would have to be jealousy.

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Oprah or atleast what she does for people, which is quite a bit. But like you I hate everything in regards to her show, book clubs, even her personality. If you don't mention sex or race, no one can call you racist, stick to what you dislike about her.

Augustus Medici

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Probably because like most repressed alpha males, you despise and are made very uncomfortable by the chronic displays of emotion on her show, and the fact that she has brainwashed like 3 billion people, all the while occupying was is perceived to be the highest moral ground of any celebrity. I definately think that a lot of it is artifice, but the only reason someone would hate her would have to be jealousy.

Man, Violinist totally broke out the DSM on ******.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because she has more money than god? Or at least she said that to Dave Chappelle when he was refusing to cancel his show (according to a crazy theory that is)

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Oprah's alright. If you don't like her, just tune her out. She's everywhere, of course, but easy to avoid.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Augustus Medici
However, I'm having a hard time articulating exactly why I hate her and her personality cult to other people without sounding vaguely racist/sexist/anything else-ist.

Because you can never get a piece of that booty!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sharon_NBS

Reaction score
Just an example...
Oprah Winfrey, who shot Frey's book to the top by recommending it for her book club and was the one person whose reaction every news outlet wanted, called into the show at the very end -- they extended the show for five minutes -- to give her view. While she was disappointed in the controversy, she said that she relies on the publisher to correctly label the books she reads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads