• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect shave and morning routine

tricka

Reaction score
Hello one and all.
I am always curious to know what other fellows do with their morning ablutions, particularly in reference to the quest for the perfect shave.
I have the dubious distinction of a heavy beard and fair celtic skin which irritates easily.
To kick things off I thought to post on a routine that work for me. I would be delighted to hear what others recommend.
My routine starts off at 5am with feeding the cat, a strong cup of Earl Grey and usually some Bach Cantata's playing fairly softly so as not to disturb my lovely wife (who is not a morning person) nor any neighbour. Usually at this time no one is about and it is very quiet.
I run a wash basin full of hot water and soak a shave cloth in it while also warming my shave bowl. I wet my badger brush (had it about 20 years now - inherited it from my Grandfather so it must be close to 80 years old by now) in the warm water and work up a lather in the bowl using Taylor's Of Old Bond St shave cream. I particularly like the Old Etonian and Avocado creams. Link is : http://www.tayloroldbondst.co.uk/
I usually heat up the cloth in the microwave for about 20- 30 seconds ( I have a tiny one in the bathroom on a shelf just for this) and then lay it across the beard for at least half a minute. Glorious. I lather up the face and leave for about 20 seconds to allow the beard to soften. Stretching the skin taut (I am getting old and my face drops by the hr) I shave with the grain (never against!!) in short strokes with no pressure. I usually repeat as my beard usually needs a double shave to get super close. Razors vary....I for years used an old safety razor with Featherstone blades. Of late I have moved to a Gilette Mach 3 but without the vibration thingi turned on (what is that all about??). I find it nicks alot less and shaves alot better.
After finishing I rewarm my cloth and wipe my face off, wash out my badger brush and tidy up the wash basin. When my face begins to tigthen up abit (ie cool) I tend to use Psorsaio Pre Shave Menthyl to finish as an after shave balm.
By now it's 5.20am, I have finished my tea, make a cup for my wife and head out the door for a swim in the ocean for 20 minutes or so. I am lucky enough to live 5 minutes drive from a beautiful bay which is shark netted from September to May, which is swim season for me. It's lovely because as the sunrise gets later I can swim in the dark across the Bay (about 100 metres) without worrying about the toes!
So that is pretty much my morning routine before work (which usually starts at 7.15am).
Incidentally I usually soak my shave brush in detergent once a month to remove soap residual from the bristles, often adding a little vinegar to the water to kill any bacteria lurking.
How does everyone else start their day and what are the shaving regimes favoured by other members?
Kind Regards
Tricka

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First thing is my Illy coffee with steamed milk, then I read the Times . I check my e-mail and run my bathtub with hot, hot water. I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street pre-shave oil on my face soak in the tub for about 10 minutes with a face towel on. I use a badger brush and dip it in my Sandalwood Taylor's shaving soap and shave away. I use my facial cleanser after shaving, use my loofah, take a shower , shampoo my hair, and rinse with cold, cold water. I reach for my bathrobe and file my nails and listen to nice jazz or an adagio. I never turn on the television in the morning. This whole ritual is about an hour.

WorkingTitle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
First thing is my Illy coffee with steamed milk, then I read the Times . I check my e-mail and run my bathtub with hot, hot water. I use Taylor's of Old Bond Street pre-shave oil on my face soak in the tub for about 10 minutes with a face towel on. I use a badger brush and dip it in my Sandalwood Taylor's shaving soap and shave away. I use my facial cleanser after shaving, use my loofah, take a shower , shampoo my hair, and rinse with cold, cold water. I reach for my bathrobe and file my nails and listen to nice jazz or an adagio. I never turn on the television in the morning. This whole ritual is about an hour.

I...I'm slightly...aroused?
uhoh.gif
rotflmao.gif

tricka

Reaction score
Well
that is abit of a turn up....it all got abit wierd abit quickly
blush.gif

Oh well I'll keep my ablutions to my self.
lol8[1].gif

aleksandr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I could wake up earlier, I could do so much more. As it is from the time I crawl out of bed to the time I head out the door I have 20 minutes max, so I'm limited to the bare minimum. Brush teeth, shave, wash face, *poof*.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some dark roast coffee and Robin Meade on CNN, a morning run between 4 and 8 miles, a protein shake, a hot shower, and then a shave with a straight razor and whatever soap tickles my fancy that day. I know a number of people who use a hot towel before applying soap, but the shower tends to hydrate and soften the beard. The soap soaks in for a few minutes while I strop the razor. I take two passes, plus a light touch-up pass around the mouth and chin, and usually a splash of aftershave completes the shave.

velobran

Reaction score
Typically .... on a week day.

Wake up
Consume a double espresso with a splash of soy milk, a whole wheat waffle with fresh preserves.
Go for a 40 mile ride (bicycle)
Return for a chocolate soy milk drink followed up by another double espresso
Shower and out the door

I wish I could have a morning as glorious as Maharlika with cycling mixed in.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's jam.

And gentlemen, enjoy your soaking and ball-conditioning while you're still childless.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me beat ImageWIS to it:

"I believe in taking care of myself and a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine.

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now.

After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub.

Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older.

Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. "

Also, this: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=42466

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
First thing, brush my teeth, then shower with a Salux body polish cloth, and Grisi Donkey Milk soap bar. Wash my hair every other day with whatever shampoo is on sale, condition everyday with whatever's on sale, sometimes mixed with epsom salt. Wash the "T-zone" of my face with Walgreens generic Cetaphil. Shave with a 1940s era Gillette Superspeed, Derby blade, Shavemac Finest grade badger brush, currently using Will G's shea butter shave soap, and Nivea Sensitive aftershave balm or alcohol based aftershave splash. Often use a drop or two of olive oil as a pre-shave (works very well!) Slick hair back with Pinaud Clubman styling gel. Two nights a week I wear a french green clay and apple cider vinegar mask for about half an hour while I watch Aqua Teen, splash with Thayer's Lavender or Rose witch hazel afterward.
meatwad_dancing.gif
For breakfast on the way to work I drink a banana, apple juice, spirulina, soy lecithin smoothie (beats the **** out of Odwalla, and cheaper if you buy the algae in bulk). Eat lowfat vanilla yogurt mixed with ground flax once I get to work. Take a big ****, and eat whatever I can get my hands on throughout the day until I get home from work and hit the weights. edit: In the hot Texas summer, Proraso is my pre and shaving cream of choice.

velobran

Reaction score
Originally Posted by juniper
What's a fresh preserve (serious question)?

Fancy name for fresh jelly/jam although not quite as mashed up and has pieces of fruit in it.

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Maharlika
run my bathtub with hot, hot water.

take a shower

Wow, you take a bath AND a shower in the morning? Hardcore! Which leads me to:

Originally Posted by letmebefell

And gentlemen, enjoy your soaking and ball-conditioning while you're still childless.

Too true. I miss the days of being able to leisurely get ready in the morning.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
I always make sure to wake up at least two hours before I need to do anything that requires intelligence. I'd like to say I spend that time wisely, but usually I spend most of it eating pita with cucumbers and watching Mike & Mike on ESPN2

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads