• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the perfect blue blazer

Makoto Chan

Reaction score

In my opinion, the perfect blue blazer is one that is as versatile as possible.
You should first start with the fabric. A richer, deeper navy with some depth to the color should be preferred. Something perhaps in a year-round weight wool, depending on what your local climate allows. Such a suiting might not the most optimal for some regions, such as Singapore, so you should tailor this as you see fit. In addition, I would recommend a solid navy over something such as a herringbone. Or at least something that looks solid from anything more than three feet away. A solid, deep, rich navy will mean that you can work it in to as many ensembles as possible.
After that, there are the other details. I would prefer a 3/2 roll, but a 2 button could also work well, depending on your height and build. Given today's informal culture, two patch pockets and a soft shoulder would be useful in toning down the formality. At the same time, going with three patch pockets probably takes it a step too far. I would also recommend eschewing things such as obvious pick stitching (especially those ugly machine made ones that lower end Italian lines seem to all carry), peak lapels, hacking pockets, and even tickets pockets, just for the sake of simplicity.
Should you prefer something a bit more Neapolitan, you can get between one and three buttons on the sleeve (I would recommend three, just so you don't veer too far out). If you want something less provincial, I would recommend four.
Finally, I would recommend dual side vents, just because I think the jacket lays better when you're sitting down or have your hands in your pockets.
The key here is to create something that can be worn with almost any classic men's style that you might find yourself drifting into. It should be wearable with any combination of trousers and shoes, and be suitable for almost any climate. Of course, nothing really achieves all those things perfectly, which is why we have so many variations of designs and cloths. Still, if one could only have one blue blazer, I think the above would be best.

You should start a blog! No what I mean to say is thanks for taking the time to think about this and write it down for the benefit of others. I don't suppose this would fit very well on either of your blogs, so it's very good of you to write it here.

guymac12

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
My perfect blue blazer is a slim fit in wool. It should have a front flap as well as inner pockets.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Once you start worrying about toning down the formality of a blazer, you're not just splitting hairs but atoms. Anyone who thinks a blazer is "too dressy" won't have a clue about the differing formality levels of patch v. flap. It's the coat itself that offends the modern sensibility, so get what you like.

That said, my specs would be two button, medium notch, flap pockets, in a hopsack or other textured cloth. Buttons that are a matte finish brass or such, or real gold if you want shiny. No peaks, ticket pockets, hacking pockets, bells, whistles or other junk to clutter it up. Unless you're absolutely sure you want those features, the more you tinker with the classic model, the greater the odds you'll end up regretting it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It would have to be a 6 gilt-button double-breasted number. Peak lapels are a must.

jjgold

Reaction score
See now I am happy I started this thread. It has been very enlightening to get everyones opinion.

Thanks

herfitup

Reaction score
I rotate between two of them. A Ralph Lauren, two button darted with gold buttons and an old Michael Kors, darted with petwer buttons, both with flap pockets. Both are well constructed of dark navy worsted wool but look completely different even though the buttons and darts are just about in the same place and both have 4 buttons on the sleeve. The buttons make a big difference in the feel of formality. I think the gold buttons just look more formal even though I love the pewter button jacket.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For warm weather I have an SB notch lapel 2-patch in 9/10 oz Crispaire and horn buttons.

For cold weather I have a DB flap pockets in 13 oz Lesser and metal buttons.

Merovius

Reaction score

two button, side vents, peak lapels, ticket pocket, flap pockets, horn buttons, textured material, surgeon's cuffs,

For me thats close but not quite, ditch the peak lapels and add unstructured shoulders.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads