• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
most here are all about value play, especially me, and I think my posts support this.

But I disagree completely about Burgundy being short lived. If anything, its surprisingly the opposite and I find this is more and more to be the case.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

most here are all about value play, especially me, and I think my posts support this.
But I disagree completely about Burgundy being short lived. If anything, its surprisingly the opposite and I find this is more and more to be the case.

I dont check this thread often enough to have a reference point. I defer to your perception of yourself.

Burgundy peaks much earlier than the vast majority of wines. Its very delicate and thrives on its 'middle age'. At the place I worked, we had a Monday bring your own wine (no cork fee) night. I was amazed at the 30+ yr old Burgs that came in. Most 'old' were well past it, but the owners confused the lack of tannin and soon after corking buzz as refinement. To some extent it was true, it was grand at open, but in 20 mins it (after their laughable demand to worsen the situation by decanting) was flat as a mexican tortilla and nobody could admit otherwise except me, an independent taster (though I never said ****), they were invested in the idea this 35 yr old pinot was worth anything more than a splash among 10 glasses and move on.

If you like to age wine and explore that route, there are many of them that stand it, but pinot generally aint one. Although, white burgundy is different.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Oh Christ.

Hope you are not replying to me.

Never tasted a burg worth the money live past 30 years with perfect storage. If you have a different experience, do tell.

Some burg has a lot of tannin and develops and is structured to survive past 30 years to justify an $800 a bottle value, but its rare. The only example I have every sampled that ticked all the boxes was a Richebourg Echezeaux and truly warranted its $1200 value.

Most Burg peaks within 20 years, from what I have tried.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Richebourg Echezeauxs are awesome. :slayer:

Not sure if serious.

Wine a fluid substance with a bell curve on it (no pun on fluid). I've been out of waiting tables and being a sommelier for 20 years when I finished school. Bah to the wine game. Totally stupid. So many snoot-monkeys and name dropping. I always found that drinking what you like was more valuable than a '61 Haut you couldn't put in context. LOL at people at a table talking about peach and raspberry when all I tasted was pure alcohol and ****.

Personally, over the last few years, I have decided to stock a cellar. So I tasted and bought out of the way stuff that would be fun. Worked thru the case or 2 over time and made it exclusive at a dinner where the last 5 bottles were drunk at its peak, or what I felt like was. Its more fun than name drop and braggart wine. Those usually rest laurels on a few great vintages and fanfare. Again, wine is fluid. There are so many vintages down the street totally ignored that blow famous wine away.

I actually stopped blind tasting dinners with a famous vinter because too many guests picked the 'supposed' swill.

I think it was Freakonomics where they put a **** wine amidst a group of snoot professors and were derided for it. People hate to have their taste questioned but it misses the point. Your taste is yours and you should enjoy it as such instead of name drop swirl the glass raspberry and now I taste leather... bullshit, you taste the pricetag.

When I blind dinner partied unknown names, it sparked wonderful honest discussion about quality. Introduce a brand name and you might as well pour it down the sink. Mens Clothing SF has the same issue.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I used to be of the school that Burg was not meant to age but the last few years my opinion has evolved. I think also that the style of winemaking is more F-U these days, a lot of producers don't care if their wines show little in the early years. It's the opposite trend to what has happened in much of Bordeaux.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Picked up some 2010 Folonari Chianti and plan to try a bottle either tomorrow or Friday. $7 and was #41 on the Top 100 for WS this year. Figure it's worth a go.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score

I used to be of the school that Burg was not meant to age but the last few years my opinion has evolved.

I'd be interested in trying some 15-20 year old basic Bourgogne Rouge or Cote de Nuits from a really solid producer (maybe soemthing like Bachelet, Fourrier, Liger-Belair, Roumier, JF Mugnier, Chevillon, or d'Angerville). I bet there'd be plenty of life left.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Probably hard to find. I doubt many people save those. They are bought to drink young.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

:slayer:
old wines usually have sediment that must be removed. This is why a decanter is used.

There are ways to control that without a decanter. I used to decant everything but not much anymore, I actually like the different phases from the bottle. Decanting is useful when the wine is tight but if its not its a bit of a shock and sorta bypasses many of its phases.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads