• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had this last night. I thought it had too much wood at first, but once it opened lots of vanilla and black fruit. It's not exactly subtle, but for $15 it met my expectations.
I see there's a good number of fellow Canadians in this thread. I had a 2007 Stratus Red on the weekend that I really enjoyed. For my money I don't think I've had a better Ontario red, even if though it's overpriced at $45.

I've tasted most of the Strati (?) over the past few vintages and have never liked them. Always overcooked with the alcohol. Their Petit Verdot is almost undrinkable. And hideously overpriced. Of course, YMMV. Lots of age, maybe?

Nice winery architecture, though.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Champagne tasting. Highlights include the 2000 Dom Perignon Rose, which was really spectacular, 2002 Taittiner CdC, 2004 CdC Rose, 2000 Krug Collection, and the 2005 Cristal.

Last edited:

JTP1000

Reaction score
Had a 2008 Lan last night. I really enjoyed it. Much more balanced, and not at all jammy. I think I've hit on a winner in my budget friendly Spanish wine search.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Didn't mean to do any of this :nest:
I was just pleasantly surprised by how much i enjoyed it.
I'm pretty entry level in wine knowledge at the moment, and am trying to explore different regions. On a bit of a Spanish kick right now, so we'll see what the weekend brings.

Have no worries and looking forward to your posts! I'm just notoriously unimpressed by 99% of the efforts in red wines from Ontario, in particular, Baco Noir (plonk of the highest (lowest?) order). I think some of the ice wine made is world class and there's some passable to quite decent whites being made. I actually appreciate their forays into things like Scheurebe and Vidal. I just have no truck with hypernationalistic folks convincing themselves VQA reds are something they're not.

I'm wondering if climate change will allow them to grow some decent Pinot and Cab at some point though. I have yet to taste an Ontario Cab without that strong vegetal taste.

Last edited:

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only Canadian red wines I've tasted that I've really enjoyed in an ocean of plonk are:

VQA:

Tawse Pinot ($50)
Tawse Cab Franc ($35)
Thirty Bench Pinot ($30)
Thirty Bench Cab Franc ($30)

Okanagan:

Burrowing Owl Meritage ($65)
Blasted Church Merlot ($35)

Not many. But, it's pretty frigging chilly up here :)

Last edited:

Coronaeus

Reaction score
Most decent Ontario reds are priced far too high to ever be worth buying. I enjoy some of the Pinot's from Prince Edward County (Keint-He, Karlo, Norman Hardie) but at $40+ they just aren't worth it considering what you can get for a similar price from elsewhere. I've also enjoyed a couple of the Pinot's from Le Clos Jordanne (several years ago), but again, at $45+ they are hard to justify.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Champagne tasting. Highlights include the 2000 Dom Perignon Rose, which was really spectacular, 2002 Taittiner CdC, 2004 CdC Rose, 2000 Krug Collection, and the 2005 Cristal.

Pissed I couldn't make this.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Most decent Ontario reds are priced far too high to ever be worth buying.  I enjoy some of the Pinot's from Prince Edward County (Keint-He, Karlo, Norman Hardie) but at $40+ they just aren't worth it considering what you can get for a similar price from elsewhere.  I've also enjoyed a couple of the Pinot's from Le Clos Jordanne (several years ago), but again, at $45+ they are hard to justify.

For sure. I'm drinking a $13:50 Rhone tonight that I know will blow the socks off all 'cept the Burrowing Owl Meritage, which is a superb wine.

The $30 Clos Pinot is pretty good, and not nearly as good as its considerable hype, but the $70 Pinot is a joke at that price.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
$7 and #41 on WS Top 100 this year:

FEA8527D-75E9-406E-B107-7C432A12BD35-2931-000000CABD2D0F89.jpg

For the money? Never had better.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Not in the least. 100% Sangiovese, nice and berry fruity. Should last another several years. Just a touch of earthiness when I opened and blew right off.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should try Chapoutier's Bila-Haut. Quite good. 92+ parker thingies. Scored it for 4.50€. Santa Cristina's wines are also quite solid, imo (and yeah, 3.50€ :devil:).

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wow, I have never had luck with below $9 wines. I bet that was a tanninbaumb?

Having this tonight. $10, very drinkable despite youth. Minervois is a Western Languedoc-Roussillon. Only the 2nd one I've ever had. 1st was forgettable as a I don't remember it. May go back and buy a few bottles. Not enough structure for aging.

Had a world beater Montefalco last night out at dinner. Beautiful wine. Evolved perfectly thru dinner. Saved my last sip for a chocolate dessert. $115 lighter in the wallet though.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads