1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. b1os

b1os Senior member

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Yup, sorry, was reading the wrong list. It's the Guild Somm podcast. :embar:

It was really very good and I plan to listen to it again.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Senior member

http://blogs.wsj.com/wine/2010/08/04/the-gamble-of-ordering-old-wine/

Can anyone clarify the process or "reconditioning" older wine for me? This article states:

"I was looking at the Giacomo Borgogno website where I discovered that all the producer’s old wines had been “reconditioned” in 2007. That is, they were uncorked, decanted, topped off, and then recorded."

Judging by the comments, it sounds as if the producer has simply replaced the older cork with a new one and topped off the bottle with the same vineyard & vintage wine...? If so, the author comes across a bit misleading, I think.

4. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

The proper technique is as you stated. The Estate will sacrifice a perfectly stored bottle from their own cellar to top up historical bottles in the hands of collectors, or bottles from their own cellar. The main purpose is to restore cork integrity and limit further oxidation. As such, it should be preformed under very controlled conditions to limit oxidation during the re-corking.

1 person likes this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Premier Cru in Chapter 7.

6. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

$7mil in assets versus $70mil in liabilities... :lurk:

7. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

The liabilities don't include what's owed to the IRS or the State Franchise tax board either. I always thought there was something off about that place.

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is a Cellar Tracker picture. I didn't take one as I didn't expect much for $10.

[​IMG]

Buy a case.

2 people like this.
  9. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

^ just tried to put in an order and they're sold out. Rats. Still going to listen to that podcast but got caught up in Serial.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

There's a reason they are sold out.

11. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

Now you're just rubbing it in.

12. Girardian

Girardian Senior member

Yes, a buddy of mine got out while the gettin' was good. His "futures" were 24 months past due. He dodged that bullet.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Continuing on with stocking up my "daily drinker" category with Spanish wines. They can all be described as having nice fruit, smooth tannins, moderate acid, light to moderate oak and drinking now. Monestrall continues to deliver very high value for me in the daily drinking category. These wines are all $10-12 dollars and I bought at least six of each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Request from a friend for some decent Pinot Grigio. Eye-tie not my area so maybe @gomestar or @Slewfoot might have a few suggestions? He's looking specifically for Italian too, not a Grauburgunder or Pinot Gris from somewhere else.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  15. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

With the caveat that I have not had either of these wines specifically but have had others from the same brand (in one case) or producer (in the other) that I thought were very good:

1. Scarpetta -- this is Bobby Stuckey's label, and all the wines I have had from it (Friulano, the rosato spumante, and the Barbera) have been very nice and well-priced. I think the Pinot Grigio is priced in the high teens.

2. Venica & Venica -- a well-respected producer from Friuli. I have loved the Merlot, Malvasia, and Sauvignon Blanc that I have had from them (the Merlot especially was revelatory). Their Pinot Grigio is priced in the mid twenties around here.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  16. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Had the 2014 version of this yesterday:

[​IMG]

(Not my picture.)

One of the more enjoyable wine "discoveries" I have made over the past couple of years has been Semillon from Brokenwood in the Hunter Valley in Australia. It's not at all what you would expect from an Australian white if you haven't done much experimenting: it's high-acid and low alcohol and sees no oak: just a refreshing, characterful wine that's also pretty inexpensive.

The Sadie Kokerboom (which is a blend of Semillon Blanc and Semillon Gris from 80-year-old vines) is somewhat similar but bigger. There's more alcohol (13.5% -- still pretty low for South Africa) and more concentration, but it's still high-acid, mineral-driven, and refreshing. Just a lovely wine. Unfortunately, it's not cheap; but I don't regret spending the money.

I've really enjoyed the Sadie wines that I've tried. They all are unmistakeably New World, with lots of fruit, but they're never over-the-top or jammy or fat. The only thing that I dislike about them (other than the price -- all of them are relatively expensive here) is the wax seals over the cork: those make a real mess when you open them.

17. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Try the one from Venica. As good as you can ask for.

2 people like this.
  18. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

19. Principle

Principle Senior member

20. Principle

Principle Senior member

Does anyone have good words about Penfolds? Picked up a dusty chard today, and noticed pricing is all over the place