1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

For '83, besides Chateau Margaux, other wines from the appellation that I have had recently and are still killer are Palmer and Cantemerle. Some '83 Pomerols are also still showing quite well, L'Evangile in particular.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I had high hopes for this and while it was fine, it just didn't blow me away. Didn't cost me much either, so that helps.

3. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Christmas night wines with prime rib. The LLC was wonderful, but needed a couple of hours to hit its stride. The 98 Haut Brion was obviously young, but will be great, we didn't get to the 82. The 82 Cheval Blanc was corked. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

By the way, is anybody following the Premier Cru (the bay area wine retailer) saga? I bought wine from this place occasionally when I lived in the bay area, but always had a bad feeling about them. They took forever to deliver, in one case I took wines on hand after waiting a year for wines I'd purchased to arrive. I found them to be awful people in the storefront, arguing about wines that were obviously corked, and basically just being assholes. I never got their business model, the storefront in Emeryville had about half the available floorspace occupied with wine, the rest was empty. It was a weird place and it looks like they are going down and are likely going to take a bunch of people's money with them.

5. Manton

I visited that place once but it was on San Pablo in Berkeley (what was a very bad neighborhood in my school days and didn't look like an obvious spot for a fine wine store in 2012). Same place? I've read a little about it. I do recall seeing a lot of fine and rare bottles there and mentioning it to Slewfoot, who basically said "Don't."

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Probably the same place. They've had several different storefronts in the east bay. It's going to be a shit show and there are going to be some really unhappy Chinese guys soon.

7. Manton

Yeah that's the place. Basically a half block in any direction is a borderline slum.

8. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

Sounds like they weren't all that great at running their wine futures Ponzi scheme

9. Stone

Stone Senior member

[​IMG]

Picked up a bottle of this for a New Year's Eve dinner. Always wanted to try a Quintarelli red (I've only had the white) - can't wait.

1 person likes this.
  10. b1os

b1os Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Both nice and have that "Campanian" white wine taste. Relatively easy to drink but at the same time a bit complicated too. Pronounced minerality. The Falanghina was more balanced overall imo.

[​IMG]
    Quite rich and concentrated for a Gavi di Gavi. Quite a bit of minerality. Lively acidity. Good value too.

[​IMG]
    Very oaky, but apparently most Aglianicos are (although this one is a cuvée)? Pretty good overall.

[​IMG]
    Beautiful wine.

[​IMG]
    Oaky, bold, firmish tannins, could use a few more years in the cellar. So far, Aglianico isn't my favorite variety but it's growing on me. Overall a pretty great wine with more potential.

Also had a bottle of San Gregorio's Lacryma Christi del Vesuvio Rosso. Pretty nice daily drinker.
    A bottle of Domaines Lupier 2010 La Dama. I think I've had the 2009 before (or 2008). This one is almost too ripe and overall less complicated than the 2008 or 2009. Good stuff.
    A bottle of Gelnelly Grand Vin Stellenbosch 2009. Easy and delicious.
    and other wines I don't recall..

2 people like this.
  11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

[​IMG]

Was between this and the LP demi sec. I just wish they were easier to find, couldn't find this anywhere in the city and my spot for LP put it on special and replaced it with the brut

12. Manton

1989 Rauzan Segla is not bad.

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

A few pops during the season

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  14. b1os

b1os Senior member

Happy new year, guys!

[​IMG]

Really good. Crisp, a bit toasty, lots of citrus and green apple. Definitely a saline finish, assertive but balanced acidity. Definitely recommended.

Also had a glass of Moet. Vile in comparison. Unbounded acidity.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    2 people like this.
  15. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

No pictures, as I forgot my phone, but had quite a few last night with two stand outs.

2005 Dom. Really very good and what stood out was the long finish. Minerality, creamy, raspberry and pineapple, in just a super long finish. They were pouring Veuve Yellow BTG and it was tough to go back to that after we had our Dom. Also had a bottle I liked but I didn't quite get the name. A. Margery, or something similar, but definitely not A. Margaine as I've had plenty of that.

At one point in the evening I was pulled into the wine cellar as there was "something you have to see." A magnum of 2004 Sine Qua Non Ode to E Grenache. Blew the back of my head off. Powerful and dense but balanced and easily the wine of the night for me. I am sure I'll never get another glass of that but I sure would like one.

1 person likes this.
  16. b1os

b1os Senior member

So.. New Year's Resolution is that I want to focus more on the beverages I drink, i.e. try to describe wines etc better, even when they're "cheaper" stuff. ;) Even if I suck at it at the moment, I guess it's the easiest, albeit not most comfortable, way to improve.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Two very nice but quite different Arneis. The Cesare is very reserved and delicate. The Serafino is more fruity and has a crazy prominent passionfruit note which I've never noticed in an Arneis before. Both are good/very good daily drinkers and good wines overall.

[​IMG]

2011 Dominus Estate Napanook. Drank this while watching Sideways today, for the fourth time iirc. As I've posted, I originally bought the 2010 for 30 €. First bottle got destroyed during shipping, second and last bottle in stock at the shop got lost during transit. Fuck DPD. So I got the 2011 and a bottle of Grand Vin de Glenelly 2009 cause the 2011 costs less than the 2010, probably due to the fact that the 2010, from what I've gathered, is much better than the 2011, which was a difficult vintage altogether in Napa. Anyway, the Glenelly was delicious (as I've posted) and so was this 2011 Napanook. Very dark, quite concentrated (but not very concentrated), already relatively smooth tannins, loads of sweet/sour cherries, moccha, baking spices, tobacco, plum. Good acidic backbone and finish. Could probably rest a few more years but not too many more.

[​IMG]

From memory, it reminds me a lot of the Gonzales Byass Apostoles sherry, which is a "blend" of Palo Cortado and Pedro Ximenez. Alcohol is well integrated, the sweetness is balanced by strong but pleasant aciditiy. Long finish of concentrated raisins + acidity. Very good. Only ever had the Antinori Vin Santo before but I can't really say whether I prefer one over the other cause I don't recall the Antinori one well enough. I think they're a bit different overall though and this one focusses more on the raisiny oxidized part.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. erictheobscure

erictheobscure Senior member

You should add "stop watching Sideways" to your admirable list of New Year's resolutions.

1 person likes this.
  18. b1os

b1os Senior member

One step at a time.

2 people like this.
  19. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe De Margerie?

We had a Le Mesnil brut NV (produced by the Union des Proprietaires Recoltants co-op in Le Mesnil sur Oger) and an '04 Pierre Gimonnet Special Club. The Le Mesnil was not earth-shaking, but it was everything a good BdB Champagne should be. It was also very, very cheap (for Champagne). I really like Gimonnet in general, but this bottle didn't do much for me. If I can find another bottle, I'll try again to see if I was just off.

Also had an '07 Pierre Peters Les Chetillons a couple of days before. That was some seriously good stuff.

2 people like this.
  20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Ah, I think that's it! Thank you.

FWIW, it was a bottle of Pierre Peters several years ago that was my "ah hah" bottle of Champs. Still my favorite producer.