1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official Wine Thread

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by audiophilia, Jul 20, 2009.

1. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Regardless of provenance, the wine could still be corked and thus flawed. I think allowing the customer to taste it prior to pouring for all diners makes sense.

2. Keen

Keen Senior member

Yeah, you have no way of knowing if it's faulty or not without tasting. So it's not rude at all, quite the opposite.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I've always been offered the traditional taste when I BYOB and I do that on a pretty regular basis.

So did you reconsider and put in for at least a couple bottles of the QC?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  4. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

I figured that might be the proper way to do it, for that reason. I imagine there are places where people will decline to drink a bottle they brought and will just order off the list instead. The place I work doesn't get of a lot of serious wine drinkers (I don't consider myself to be a serious wine drinker FWIW), in fact most people who order bottles seem to be under the impression that they are seeing if they like it rather than checking for faults/flaws, so I think most people would rather die than pour out a special bottle that they brought from home.

Just remembered a table from a couple months ago that brought in an already open bottle of Kendall Jackson Chardonnay. I did not charge them corkage, as I figured that people who might bring an open bottle of KJ to a restaurant might take umbrage with the fee.

I did end up ordering a bottle of the QC, in hommage to the esteemed iGents ITT.:D

5. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

From a frequent diner at BYOBs, living in PA, when a waiter provides me with "full service" on my wine, I make sure that I note that on the tip. Same if I bring a bottle and pay corkage, I will include extra for the waiter as if I had bought it off of their list.

6. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

On the other end of the spectrum, a nice fellow let me have a taste of this last night, after I remarked that it looked to be an interesting wine:

2009 Covington Cellars “Ode” Seven Hills Vineyard Brunello Style Sangiovese Grosso 750 mL Fermented with native yeast in open top, one ton bins and punched down 3 daily for 10 days. The wine was then aged 36 months in neutral French oak barrels and then bottle aged for 18 months prior to release.

Seven Hills Vineyard is in walla walla AVA, which I think if my current favorite in WA.

It was delicious. Showed electric acidity and really the kind of wine you are sad to finish. I looked up the wine maker - He's a young guy named Morgan Lee, who despite little formal training is also the winemaker for Two Vintners winery (also owned by Covington Cellars), as well as for Block Wines (which Lee owns along with Full Pull owner Paul Zitarelli). It's crazy really how small the WA wine industry is when you get down to connecting all the dots. FWIW, I bought a bottle of the Block Wines Chenin Blanc Block 10 a few months ago and thought it was great.

2 people like this.
  7. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

Any comments on the wine list at Vetri? Finally making the pilgrimage down there, just got named best Italian Restaurant in the country by another publication, and was able to get a reservation for next weekend. Every time I have tried in the past there has been nothing available when I would be in the city. This time I was able to get a 9 PM reservation, so I am anticipating sleeping like shit after eating and drinking through a bunch of courses and finishing close to midnight.

8. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

That's very generous!

9. ChrisGold

ChrisGold Senior member

It comes from being in the wine business, doing a ton of staff trainings, and if I'm getting the same service anyway, and I saved on the wine... I think it's only fair that I give something to the staff. My wife laughs that not only can I name the best meals that I've had around the world, I can also recite the best waiters I've had over the past 20 years. They can make or break an evening, especially in a top restaurant. I am happy to over tip on those occasions.

10. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

via my Facebook news feed:

"When’s the last time you drank a rare $3,000 100pt wine? 2012 Screaming Eagle up for grabs. Today's outrageous wine deal."

congrats Screagle!!!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  11. RedLantern

RedLantern Senior member

[​IMG]

A 57, 38, 5 GSM

Not as dusty or earthy as I would have expected. Rather fruit forward crowd -pleaser. Drinks like a lightish bodied Syrah. Great nose, very aromatic.

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Had a new offering from Denner the other night. 2012 "Stratus" which is 75% Mourvedre and 25% Counoise. Really an excellent wine. Lots of dark fruit, smoke, pepper, and tobacco. I'm trying to get another three pack but not sure I'll have any luck. :(

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015
  13. reidd

reidd Well-Known Member

I am seeking California Chardonnay recommendations from you gentlemen.

My palate tends toward a more old world style but I have plenty of White Burg in my cellar and need to add some Cali sunshine for a change of pace.

Any favorites in the $20-$40 range with a strong emphasis on aging potential?

14. Stone

Stone Senior member

I like Ramey's chardonnays, and check out Liquid Farm if you can find it.

15. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

I like Ramey also. Montelena is good, Mt Eden, and Ridge's chards are also generally pretty good. On the higher end, Aubert, Marcassin are bigger, but generally well made wines.

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

winex.com (Wine Exchange) sale next 48 hours, - ALL WINES 10% off.

Promo Code - winexmas

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  17. Principle

Principle Senior member

Smoked goose and duck from my girlfriend's ceramic studio/farm tonight, wine included in the dinner. Will post photos!

18. Principle

Principle Senior member

[​IMG] Stellar Shiraz, peppery, silky tannins, black fruit on the mid-palate.[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Christmas this year was a Margaux decennial.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2005 Chateau D'Issan
    2005 Chateau Lascombes

Oven roasted beef tenderloin, brussel sprouts tossed in blackstrap molasses and balsamic glaze, slow roasted tomatoes and wild mushroom risotto.

Wine was really good. Tannins are softening. D'Issan got a 2 hour decant. Lascombes was bottle decanted.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
    3 people like this.
  20. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I had a magnum of 1983 Prieurre Lichine. It was a good bottle, not spoiled in the least, but definitely over the hill. Not showing any signs of rot, just clearly past its peak. Terrific on the nose, but about 50% of what you could smell you could not taste. Probably a great bottle 10-15 years ago.