• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wine Spectator Top Ten Wines 2009 No. 10 Brancaia Toscana Tre 2007 Tuscany $20 93 pts 25,000 cases made. Pic of the '05.
Brancaia+Tre+2005.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Multiple bottles of several WS Top 100 wines in my cellar. Life is good
smile.gif

Doh. I was trying to figure out why people were posting about the WS Top 100 a few days after the list was released. Not everyone got it at the start of the week.

Did you go buy any of those wines I PM'ed gome, before the price went up?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
I know nothing of wines.

Is this winery any good.

This is just one of their wines.

PGCA%2Ejpg

I've not had any of their wines, but a two minute cruise of WS shows them to be a good QPR (quality to price ratio). Good drinkable wines at a modest price.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very fine Pinot. Lots of great fruit, but even better was the elegant structure. Not too much on the back end and I would love to taste this after an hour decant, but the sophistication remained. Strawberry and cherry in balance. I preferred the cheaper Oregon Maysara which has more character but not as much elegance. But, I think it'd be pretty difficult to ruffle the Bello Glos' feathers.

Recommended.

$50.00

92/100

belleglos.jpg

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Did you go buy any of those wines I PM'ed gome, before the price went up?
nah, work keeps me in until well past the stores usually close. I looked at the 2 stores I tend to frequent but they didn't have them and I didn't have the time to do a search around the city. But I'll be having some wine tonight...

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Big tailgate since noon. Just got home. To compliment the smoked brisket I brought, I had a magnum of Novy Family Syrah, a 750 or Caldwell PN, and a red blend, Haute Taubee. What a great time. Wish I could give you some poetic notes and a score, but alas, was just a great time.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Grands EhÃ
00a9.png
zeaux Grand Cru 1996
Diebolt Vallois Cramant Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Champagne

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
And dinner at Johnny's restaurant tonight. Fantastic.

Reviews and thoughts on the wines from yesterday to come sometime tomorrow.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Grands EchÃ
00a9.png
zeaux Grand Cru 1996 (Burgundy):

I ordered this wine for dinner at Daniel on Saturday night. I find that pinot noir is always a fine option as it is one of the more versatile wines around. This was correct as it was a fine pairing with the variety of courses, the largest of which were the butter poached Abalone and the main entree, a trio of veal (including sweet breads, tenderloin, and cheek).

It can be very easy to discount a burgundy upon tasting. I have certainly fallen victim to this myself, and nearly did again. The initial palate I noticed was indeed very burgundian - stewed cherries, an acidic backbone, and little bit of that general "earthyness" that is expected. Paired with superb balance, well integrated and supple tannins, it would have been easy to tag this as a great wine and then move on. But that would have been a mistake. Over the course of the evening, the wine evolved into something that is easy to read about but rare to experience. Multiple layers of flavor emerged and they were sensational - crushed autumn leaves, an unlit cigar, rocky cold soil. They were subtle, mind you, very subtle. But to experience the true terroire was magnificent. It was a pleasure I hope to repeat in the near future.

joopie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
Domaine Mongeard-Mugneret Grands EchÃ
00a9.png
zeaux Grand Cru 1996 (Burgundy):

I ordered this wine for dinner at Daniel on Saturday night. I find that pinot noir is always a fine option as it is one of the more versatile wines around. This was correct as it was a fine pairing with the variety of courses, the largest of which were the butter poached Abalone and the main entree, a trio of veal (including sweet breads, tenderloin, and cheek).

It can be very easy to discount a burgundy upon tasting. I have certainly fallen victim to this myself, and nearly did again. The initial palate I noticed was indeed very burgundian - stewed cherries, an acidic backbone, and little bit of that general "earthyness" that is expected. Paired with superb balance, well integrated and supple tannins, it would have been easy to tag this as a great wine and then move on. But that would have been a mistake. Over the course of the evening, the wine evolved into something that is easy to read about but rare to experience. Multiple layers of flavor emerged and they were sensational - crushed autumn leaves, an unlit cigar, rocky cold soil. They were subtle, mind you, very subtle. But to experience the true terroire was magnificent. It was a pleasure I hope to repeat in the near future.

But beauty comes at a price, unfortunately. Had a 1999 Charmes-Chambertin from Dugat-Py recently, very interesting though still a bit young.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Btw Gome, forgot to give you kudos on the write up. You have much better access in NYC than I do to Frenchies
frown.gif

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Btw Gome, forgot to give you kudos on the write up. You have much better access in NYC than I do to Frenchies
frown.gif

It really was a magnificent wine. Only a once in a while experience.

But two things:
- you will have access when you eat at KWilk's place
- I will make sure you have access if you ever ponder over to the NYC area

a shame, KL just had the 2006 vintage of the same wine on sale for $120-ish. Alan Meadows score of 91-94, which is excellent. But I don't see it listed any more
ffffuuuu.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads