• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Wine Thread

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Got home from a meeting late and have an early breakfast meeting before I go to the office. No drinking tonight
frown.gif

I'm still at work MoFo....

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gomestar
as long as it's not Riunite (if only for the demographics of that wine) I'm a fan. I've had some great sparking Lambruscos too, very under the radar.

For thanksgiving, seek out a Zin from California. I've seen 2 from Ridge (IMO one of the best Cali producers) under $20 as of late.

I've always been a fan of zinfandel as well for Thanksgiving dinner.

Have you guys ever had any Sausal zinfandels, from Alexander Valley? I've brought this winery up before, but it warrants repeating due to the tannic balance the wine offers, along with its ageability.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beaujolais Nouveau is a good way to get non wine drinkers to try some wine. Not sure what else it is good for. I had some a few years back when it was still $6 and haven't had the urge to drink it again. Opened a bottle of this instead. Not terribly exciting but beats BN
tongue.gif
1037754x.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
Beaujolais Nouveau is a good way to get non wine drinkers to try some wine. Not sure what else it is good for. I had some a few years back when it was still $6 and haven't had the urge to drink it again.

Opened a bottle of this instead. Not terribly exciting but beats BN
tongue.gif

1037754x.jpg

This wine is in another stratosphere of power and body.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Beaujolais Nouveau is a good way to get non wine drinkers to try some wine. Not sure what else it is good for. I had some a few years back when it was still $6 and haven't had the urge to drink it again. Opened a bottle of this instead. Not terribly exciting but beats BN
tongue.gif

for non-wine people like me
wink.gif
Big fan of the Langhe though, I consistently reach for the Piedmond Nebbiolo's for dinner (including the seldom known wine regions of Bramaterra, Salgella, Inferno, Grumello, Sassella, and Gattinara)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Damn. Rare problem for me. Can't figure out the wine for the occasion.

Well set up tailgate and a big game this weekend. I'm bringing an 11# smoked brisket, there will be ribs, and award winning fajitas, with other fixings no doubt. So I'm thinking of a mag of Novy Family Grenache. Can't think of what else to bring. A Turley?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Damn. Rare problem for me. Can't figure out the wine for the occasion.

Well set up tailgate and a big game this weekend. I'm bringing an 11# smoked brisket, there will be ribs, and award winning fajitas, with other fixings no doubt. So I'm thinking of a mag of Novy Family Grenache. Can't think of what else to bring. A Turley?

Probably the Cornell vs. Princeton men's hockey game. No biggie, I have this problem too. Without the sarcasm, I'd personally pick a pinot noir for its versatility with food and with people.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Probably the Cornell vs. Princeton men's hockey game. No biggie, I have this problem too. Without the sarcasm, I'd personally pick a pinot noir for its versatility with food and with people.

That's always my "go to" grape. I might have to bring a bottle of Caldwell.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
That's always my "go to" grape.

it really is a great "go to" grape. Extremely versatile.

If you want to get creative, pull out a Dolcetto or a Barbera or something. Still versatile.

I'm leaving work now, I'll be back in 20.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
it really is a great "go to" grape. Extremely versatile.

If you want to get creative, pull out a Dolcetto or a Barbera or something. Still versatile.

I'm leaving work now, I'll be back in 20.

Enjoy your BN. Bed time for the old man.

Serg

Reaction score
Beaujolais Nouveau is a good way to get non wine drinkers to try some wine. Not sure what else it is good for. I had some a few years back when it was still $6 and haven't had the urge to drink it again.

Opened a bottle of this instead. Not terribly exciting but beats BN
tongue.gif

1037754x.jpg

I recently tasted the latest vintage of that bottling (2007, I believe). It was way too young! I assume the 2006 was still way from its prime?

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Nebbiolo, at its best, needs time. A lot of time. But I love the Nebbiolo grape, so light and brick-y in color, but so much punch on the palate.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Serg
I recently tasted the latest vintage of that bottling (2007, I believe). It was way too young! I assume the 2006 was still way from its prime?
I had plenty of young Nebiollo wines which were rough but this particular bottle softened up nicely. The color had a fair bit of oxidation so maybe that explains why the wine had no rough edges and was pleasantly harmonious.

audiophilia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner at a local restaurant.

Before, girl and I will have a glass of:

ridge_geyserville_2003.jpg

A bottle of the following with dinner:

8886671.jpg

At a party later in the same restaurant, we'll probably be drinking a glass of some favorites:

miyabi1.jpg

W234_330x370.jpg

Enjoy your weekend. And your wine.

Montrachet

Reaction score
Somebody I know was looking for the 1998 Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque. I found one for him online, but it was false. They had sold out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads