• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My vote goes to lighter. More contemporary and casual, vs. darker being more stuffy and formal (in my opinion). With it potentially being a rental later, I think lighter will go better with what a renter might have - Ikea and the like, not antiques and Persian rugs.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

My vote goes to lighter. More contemporary and casual, vs. darker being more stuffy and formal (in my opinion). With it potentially being a rental later, I think lighter will go better with what a renter might have - Ikea and the like, not antiques and Persian rugs.

Funny thing to mention.

Couldn't tell you where the nearest ikea is, never even seen one. But we have 500 antique dealers in our tiny town.

leftrightvsp

Reaction score

Quote:
Probably Baltimore, MD, or Conshohocken, PA....

Whoah conshy! Brings back memories. Used to live there while in school. Great wings at The Boathouse.

I concure. Regardless of the furnishings. When renting a small place light is essential. Anything you can so to make the space look bigger is essential. There is a reason new small apts are furnished with lighter wood floors. Just my two cents.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoah conshy! Brings back memories. Used to live there while in school. Great wings at The Boathouse.
I concure. Regardless of the furnishings. When renting a small place light is essential. Anything you can so to make the space look bigger is essential. There is a reason new small apts are furnished with lighter wood floors. Just my two cents.

What! No way! I prefer the Great American Pub though, a little less expensive.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I only opted out of the hardwood floor, for the possibility of distant future rental. The current vinyl color selection probably has no bearing on the future use as a rental, as I will likely have it worn out by the time I even think about having a tenant.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just to be clear, I only opted out of the hardwood floor, for the possibility of distant future rental.  The current vinyl color selection probably has no bearing on the future use as a rental, as I will likely have it worn out by the time I even think about having a tenant. 

Then it probably doesn't matter as much - I just know my darker laminate hides the colored plastic barbs I cut off thrifted clothes better than lighter flooring. I'll think I have just a few on the floor until I sweep / vacuum and end up with a pile of them.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
To add to this chat: A darker wood floor, with lighter walls, and contrasting furnishings. makes the place look bigger/comfortable/stylish. but lighter floors and darker walls will make the place look smaller. moreover, a light wood floor simply looks cheap. and for the same price, a nicer look can be had. frankly, a well designed area will not only serve his needs, but attract better renters in the future. looking like a store display for Ikea is a fail.

people here know how to make a tiny apartment look awesome. using contrasts, and textures. although some smaller ones look like Corbin Dallas's apartment.
lol8[1].gif

@capnwes , i say go for maximum style per dollar. it might be cheaper than you think. especially with a "minimalist" look.

Edit: same goes for vinyl.

Last edited:

leftrightvsp

Reaction score

What! No way! I prefer the Great American Pub though, a little less expensive.

I must say it warms my heart to hear those names again, great places. I loved both but I think my penchant for Boathouse stems from the (or at least used to be) 12$ dozen wings and pitcher on Wednesdays. I actually dated a girl who worked at the GAP. Also there was a little store near the bridge that I used to get my sebagos from, had great prices, can't remember the name. And the driving range was a steal as well. Also forlanos... and marchianos in manayunk... but now I'm just reminiscing haha so many great places!

Just to be clear, I only opted out of the hardwood floor, for the possibility of distant future rental.  The current vinyl color selection probably has no bearing on the future use as a rental, as I will likely have it worn out by the time I even think about having a tenant. 

Gotcha, well for me personally if I were furnishing my house I would go darker hard wood, just because I like the old southern country home feel. It's a sentimental thing. Nothing feels more like home to me than dark hard wood floors, a grand piano in the ballroom; and a busy, open kitchen. That and a well stocked bar :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads