• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhazard

Reaction score
^
My torso manniquin had a tendency to lean too. But I think it gives the shots some cool, laid back swagger.

thumbs-up.gif
Haha, I can't stand the way it leans. However, it was in the trash at the retail store I work at so I could not pass it up!

Shoeluv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brioni, Oxxford, Isaia, Unicorn

Brioni Cords

Oxxford Suit

Isaia Shirt

Unicorn Cords

The rest:

Armani shirt

Slim fit BB

I didn't find this one, this was a gift from Ocooney when we ran into each other at the Goodwill. I had just pulled the Brioni and Zegna cords when I saw him and right after I pulled a Zegna Sport Chinos in his size. I let him have those, then he pointed me at the J Press suit below.

Truzzi linen shirt

J Press Presidential suit

Zegna cords

Zanella

Zegna Tie

47 T-Shirts @ 1/2 off .49¢ ($11.52) for my wife's dog toys (My puppy loves cloth and if he doesn't have one of these he chews everything.

Dunhill pants that I posted about last week with no pictures

Burberry

Brooks Brothers Orphan pants (No tag, just name on button)

gerbilunit

Reaction score
here's a few finds today. haven't posted here much so go easy on me guys. i know some of you guys haul these all of the time but i was pretty stoked to find these. anyone know if thats just a tag from a ferragmo store? i think that Hermes is real from what i've read on the thread.

also found something interesting today. a dunhill with valentino buttons.

Last edited:

k4lnamja

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opened up my closet and found a box I didn't know I had.

Inside? 2 Naked selvedge jeans, shipley halmos jeans, dries pants, zanella uni's, brioni suit.

LOL

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Opened up my closet and found a box I didn't know I had.

Inside? 2 Naked selvedge jeans, shipley halmos jeans, dries pants, zanella uni's, brioni suit.

LOL

That's a nice box to find.

(Yes, I see it.)

Is this Blackwatch?

Yes.

TROUSER EXPERIMENT REPORT

Anyone who has ever thrifted used men's pants knows the shock, awe and disappointment of finding awesome light grat flannel flat fronts with an 8" leg opening only to find the lining stained like a kitty litter box. Frustrated, angry, and simply not going to take it anymore, I've been planning for some time to do a comparative analysis of the various detergent options to find one that is color safe and material safe on wools, but that cleans the lining.

In Phase 1, now complete, I tested the following:
Water (control)
Vinegar
Woolite regular
Woolite dark
Enzyme based detergent (Tide)
Non-enzyme based detergent (wisk)

In addition to straight soaks, I also ran one set of trou in each of the above soaks with a pre-treat of eachn of the following (each on different trou)
Zout
Lanolin based hand cleaner
Resolve

As a method, the pretreats soaked for 48 hours. For the soaks themselves (again, 48 hours), the trou were suspended from the left leg, dipping the right waistband only into the soak, allowing a comparison of unsoaked and soaked. I also assigned each lining a rating from 1-10 before the soak, with 10 being the most severely stained. I measured outseam and cuff width, to track shrinkage.

I was planning a full scientific writeup, but

Suffice it to say that most did nothing or very little. Enzyme/Tide was not color safe. Non-enzyme/Wisk seemed best. Damage to the wool seems to be minimal, if the proper steps are followed, including: Rigorous rinse soak to remove the residual detergent; slow, careful drying, NOT hanging the garment or otherwise putting it under stress or pressure (i,e, no wringing or strong agitation; dried laid flat). If followed, the results with Wisk can be quite dramatic. One pair went from a soil level of 8, I think, to a 1 or a 2.

Note that metal clasps rusted in the various soaks.

Results of Phase 1 can be viewed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmD1FgVU3WDdC0zcjc0dzUzcVlJWEdZMzRQLVQyQkE&usp=sharing

Phase 2 will be to break all trou into piles of similar color. Then all trou will be soaked in wisk, full emersion. This will re-test color fastness (since I only ran wisk on a limited subset of colors).

No need to thank me; just send me your NWT E. Marinella and E.G. Cappelli ties and John Lobbs.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just found a slew of brioni, Kiton, sulka, Zegna, canali sport coats. They are all priced a little under 20.00. There are so many that I have to pass some up. They are all in good shape, some are 100% cashmere. I'm trying to decide if I should just buy them all. I think the color tag that they are might go on sale tomorrow. What do you guys think? Should I try to be greedy and wait or just cop??
WHAT???!!!

OH, just saw the update! Wow!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Well I'm late and my post won't be as good but here are my ties from today. Still sorting out the clothing/shoes. Highlights are some Brioni suits in staple colors (navy, charcoal) and a few other things like HFs and Canalis. Some Ferragamo loafers, Bally shoes, etc.

Ties:
Dunhill, Dunhill, Aquascutum, Aquascutum, BB Made in Italy (Any info on this tag or is it just another BB?)

Ben Silver, Ben Silver, RT 7 Fold, Zegna, Zegna, Zegna

Now a few questions. Still new and learning so hopefully I made the right choices.

Is this Blackwatch?

Is this a thing?

Are 7 folds always worth a pick up? This is Daniel De Fassin, some china made tie which I see tons of. But this was a 7 fold so I went for it.

Is this the correct Faconnable? Handmade in France.

I have few other PRL ties I'm keeping. These ties are available if anyones interested.

Blackwatch PRL FTW!!!

Oxxford Suit

Isaia Shirt

Unicorn Cords

The rest:

Armani shirt

Slim fit BB

I didn't find this one, this was a gift from Ocooney when we ran into each other at the Goodwill. I had just pulled the Brioni and Zegna cords when I saw him and right after I pulled a Zegna Sport Chinos in his size. I let him have those, then he pointed me at the J Press suit below.

Truzzi linen shirt

J Press Presidential suit

Zegna cords

Zanella

Zegna Tie

47 T-Shirts @ 1/2 off .49¢ ($11.52) for my wife's dog toys (My puppy loves cloth and if he doesn't have one of these he chews everything.

Dunhill pants that I posted about last week with no pictures

Burberry

Brooks Brothers Orphan pants (No tag, just name on button)

fing02[1].gif

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I promised Atonement to you gents and today went a little way towards that. Everything is available. Apologies re photo quality - learning to use my new camera. Pringle of Scotland pure wool sweater, size L 3 Zegna shirts size 40 2 pairs of Zegna chinos. First is EU50, second is US33 Anonymous pocket square Zegna Trofeo DB suit, guess EU56L Valentino reefer jacket, 38R Valentino blazer, 40R (anyone know the difference between these two Valentino labels?) Gianni Versace blazer, pre-death guess around 38R. Colour is black, not blue. Breuer tie Not shown: Paul Smith Jeans white cargo shorts, size 34

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Found my first Sterlingwear pea coat today, black, wool, bad-ass, made in Bwo-ston. For a real enlisted man. Had that authentic feel.

Twenty-one bucks. Left it.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's a nice box to find.

(Yes, I see it.)
Yes.

TROUSER EXPERIMENT REPORT

Anyone who has ever thrifted used men's pants knows the shock, awe and disappointment of finding awesome light grat flannel flat fronts with an 8" leg opening only to find the lining stained like a kitty litter box. Frustrated, angry, and simply not going to take it anymore, I've been planning for some time to do a comparative analysis of the various detergent options to find one that is color safe and material safe on wools, but that cleans the lining.

In Phase 1, now complete, I tested the following:
Water (control)
Vinegar
Woolite regular
Woolite dark
Enzyme based detergent (Tide)
Non-enzyme based detergent (wisk)

In addition to straight soaks, I also ran one set of trou in each of the above soaks with a pre-treat of eachn of the following (each on different trou)
Zout
Lanolin based hand cleaner
Resolve

As a method, the pretreats soaked for 48 hours. For the soaks themselves (again, 48 hours), the trou were suspended from the left leg, dipping the right waistband only into the soak, allowing a comparison of unsoaked and soaked. I also assigned each lining a rating from 1-10 before the soak, with 10 being the most severely stained. I measured outseam and cuff width, to track shrinkage.

I was planning a full scientific writeup, but

Suffice it to say that most did nothing or very little. Enzyme/Tide was not color safe. Non-enzyme/Wisk seemed best. Damage to the wool seems to be minimal, if the proper steps are followed, including: Rigorous rinse soak to remove the residual detergent; slow, careful drying, NOT hanging the garment or otherwise putting it under stress or pressure (i,e, no wringing or strong agitation; dried laid flat). If followed, the results with Wisk can be quite dramatic. One pair went from a soil level of 8, I think, to a 1 or a 2.

Note that metal clasps rusted in the various soaks.

Results of Phase 1 can be viewed here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhmD1FgVU3WDdC0zcjc0dzUzcVlJWEdZMzRQLVQyQkE&usp=sharing

Phase 2 will be to break all trou into piles of similar color. Then all trou will be soaked in wisk, full emersion. This will re-test color fastness (since I only ran wisk on a limited subset of colors).

No need to thank me; just send me your NWT E. Marinella and E.G. Cappelli ties and John Lobbs.

Last week for the hell of it I threw a pair with a stained crotch into the washer just to see what would happen. The stain came out. I had to take them to the dry cleaners to be pressed because the inside of the pants were so badly wrinkled.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh God.... :drool:

edit, looks like it's supposed to be that way...and I never even bothered to check the fabric content, it's wool, alpaca and cashmere. I was worried for a minute because I've never seen anything purple label, except for ties, at the outlet so I figured maybe some seamstress went on a gin binge and screwed this thing up and it consequently ended up at the outlet :lol:

Well, upon studying the jacket closer I noticed that one of the top pockets is at an angle, and the other isn't. It's actually at a pretty extreme angle compared to the other pocket, which leads me to believe that there's no way someone could have accidentally sewn it on that crooked, but rather it's an intentional design characteristic. I don't know - what do you guys think? Another way to tell would be to find another picture of this jacket, but I haven't had any luck in doing so.

edit - found this image online

Last edited:

Lysander

Reaction score

edit, looks like it's supposed to be that way...and I never even bothered to check the fabric content, it's wool, alpaca and cashmere. I was worried for a minute because I've never seen anything purple label, except for ties, at the outlet so I figured maybe some seamstress went on a gin binge and screwed this thing up and it consequently ended up at the outlet :lol:

Well, upon studying the jacket closer I noticed that one of the top pockets is at an angle, and the other isn't. It's actually at a pretty extreme angle compared to the other pocket, which leads me to believe that there's no way someone could have accidentally sewn it on that crooked, but rather it's an intentional design characteristic. I don't know - what do you guys think? Another way to tell would be to find another picture of this jacket, but I haven't had any luck in doing so.

My guess is that the pocket is canted a bit for ease of use. It's much easier to slide your hand into a breast pocket that is slightly turned. Try it yourself; put the jacket on and see how much easier the canted pocket is to use over the other pocket.

Perhaps the jacket didn't come that way, and the gent who owned it had it custom tailored to fit his needs. Maybe that's the pocket he put his shotgun shells in, or his compass, or something like that. Something that he needed to be able to easily access. Anyway, that's my speculation.

This is my first post here, and I reckon I'll be posting quite a bit more. I find this thread fascinating.

Cordially,
Lysander

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads