• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, upon studying the jacket closer I noticed that one of the top pockets is at an angle, and the other isn't. It's actually at a pretty extreme angle compared to the other pocket, which leads me to believe that there's no way someone could have accidentally sewn it on that crooked, but rather it's an intentional design characteristic. I don't know - what do you guys think? Another way to tell would be to find another picture of this jacket, but I haven't had any luck in doing so.

+1

You'll find this layout on various outdoors outerwear jackets and even some Belstaff-type motorcycle jackets.

Now about this new experiment for treating stains...

What I've done is take them to the cleaners, explain that I sell used clothing (i.e. these aren't mine) then open the pants and say "Can you give it an extra dose of something special down here?"

They come back clean. I've done this three times already.

Last edited:

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is Altea flippable? I didn't think so - I passed on 2 today. Nice, thick babies with wild patterns.

No flip value, but good for yourself if you can find in a pattern that isn't eye-scorching. I have several and they knot well and seem quite durable.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1

You'll find this layout on various outdoors outerwear jackets and even some Belstaff-type motorcycle jackets.

Now about this new experiment for treating stains...

What I've done is take them to the cleaners, explain that I sell used clothing (i.e. these aren't mine) then open the pants and say "Can you give it an extra dose of something special down here?"

They come back clean. I've done this three times already.

My inclination with dry cleaners is usually to restrain them, since pants so often come back from them shinier than Honey Boo Boo's contest outfit. So unleashing them would be my last instinct.

That said, my local guy and I are pretty tight, and I would usually trust him.

To be clear: This method attempted to address stains to the waistband, not necessarily the wool. But hopefully it will work there too. Also, this is a long, slow soak for deep stains, a la the oxy method. Due to the delicateness of wool when wet, I would be hesitant with any method that agitated them while wet, but that's just me.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Nat. I miss the good old days that I wasnt even around long enough to remember.

Yeah, things have definitely changed. However, speaking as someone who remembers the thread during those days, this thread wasn't really anything special. Just another thread. Sometimes 3-4 days would pass before someone posted up something and it was usually only 1 post. Nobody talked about sw&d, records, art or furniture. I think I was the only one who knew something about or cared about sw&d at the time since this thread is in the Men's Clothing section. Sure, I miss Pejsek's mind-blowing finds every time he went out and I could really do without the giant photos of ancient Jos. A Bank suits and such, but there was no sense of community then. This thread has become a sub-community in it's own and I love it. :slayer:

Sadly though, some don't think the same way I do or just faded away for other reasons, but it seems many of the early heavy-hitters from this thread have since disappeared.

My guess is that the pocket is canted a bit for ease of use. It's much easier to slide your hand into a breast pocket that is slightly turned. Try it yourself; put the jacket on and see how much easier the canted pocket is to use over the other pocket.

This would be my guess. I think it's the same reason the old Vietnam-era jackets had slanted breast pockets, and in recent years our military jackets have went back to that style

Shoutouts to:

Atlnoob - Thanks much for the Tractor double LP! Not only are the tunes amazing but it's a 180 gram press on RED vinyl! :slayer:

Capn' - Thanks for the super cool Isaia for Paul Stuart herringbone blazer. Fits perfect minus a little shortening in the sleeves. Unstructured too! :slayer:

Randomore - Got the J. Crew tweed! Love it! Thanks again man for an awesome trade!

Last edited:

Garasaki

Reaction score
Got around to going through my modest stash yesterday

Pile of blazers, Southwick and Brooks Bros, a pair of trousers on top

Pile of Pink

Here's a little ditty I was able to reunite. 23 3/4" sleeve length (doh!)

(Photobomb by 1 year old!)

ocooney

Reaction score
Shoeluv: Stop pulling Isaia and Brioni out of my territory! JK...thanks again for passing over the Zegna pants.

Anybody know anything about Fenestrier shoes? Picked up apair of NWOB black suede chelsea boots that fit me like a glove. Made in France. Seem very good quality, but I cannot find much online about them.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a test..Trying to see if spoilers will work for me. A preview..Enrico Isaia Napoli. Tagged as a size 42 by the thrift store, inside tag says 52 (European)

Fingers crossed for more in this size!! You'll have a buyer in me
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Nothing much around here although I did find this. Gonna make it work so N/A

Last edited:

Evil Abed

Reaction score
An FYI to you guys since you might be interested. Allen Edmonds just posted a 25% discount on all clearance shoes (to be taken off at checkout). Figured some of you might be interested.

highlifeman

Reaction score
Pickups from this weekend-

Almost new Florsheim Royal Imperial 5 nail V-Cleat....I believe this is shell cordovan too....the model # is not
on the AAAC list (kind of hard to read in the photo but 97624), but I found a pair online w/ the same # for shell....leather is in such good condition though
made me think they could have been corrected grain, but after finding one online w/ the same model # I think they are shell
(also have the green stitching on inside logo).. Can any experts confirm or not?
(Where is the capnwes signal when you need it?
biggrin.gif
)

BB Gingham Check SC, partically lined, keeping (tagged 41 IIR)

This thing is crazy....pale green (color did not come out very good in photo) 100% silk partially lined Zegna SC/Jacket ??, patch pockets, no sleeve buttons...

Kids XL Robert Graham......

NWT XL Polo Plaid Flannel

BB short sleeve rugby, XL

Zanella Flat Front Cotton Blend Pants, 36 (keeping)

Gucci tan long sleeve, size 17

NWT Fall colors BB Paisley Tie

BB Madison Fit 46 XL Silk /Wool /Linen Blend SC
shoulders-20.5, pit to pit 25, sleeve 27, length from BOC- 34.5

Last edited:

highvoltorb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lysander: Welcome! I like your username.

DanM: You ever venture up to Dayton? I tried my luck up there yesterday. Here's what I found:

Would love to trade some of this stuff btw. Otherwise it'll end up on eBay. I'm like slightly larger than Brianpore in everything.

Ferragamo Women's Shoes. Fit the girlfriend perfectly. Can anyone tell me about the leather? I'd love to hear that it's real gator or croc or something and not just embossed. Close up in the spoiler.

AE Waldens 9.5C

Some decent outerwear. Keeping the LL Bean. Women's, but I'm gonna rock it anyway.

Polo Large

Dat throat latch

LL Bean for me.

Vintage Woolrich Large.

NWT Spiewak Shell. Makes me want to get back into skiing as this would be perfect. Lots of vents and hidden pockets and stuff. Small but without the zip in liner it would fit a medium pretty well.

BB Fleece XL, Dunhill for me, Orvis short sleeve Large

Haven't picked up a bragworthy suit in ages. Cherry popped here.

Dat purple overcheck.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lysander: Welcome! I like your username. DanM: You ever venture up to Dayton? I tried my luck up there yesterday. Here's what I found: Would love to trade some of this stuff btw. Otherwise it'll end up on eBay. I'm like slightly larger than Brianpore in everything. Ferragamo Women's Shoes. Fit the girlfriend perfectly. Can anyone tell me about the leather? I'd love to hear that it's real gator or croc or something and not just embossed. Close up in the spoiler.
I found a similar men's pair last summer. I consigned with Spoo and we got really good money for them.
Ferragamo alligator/croc lace ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads