• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My view is that if you bid less than 1/2 of the BINOBO price, you're an ass. I lowball people... Hell, that's how I picked up a Sharks jersey for $22 (off a $30 BINOBO price), but start with a fairly reasonable offer. The one I was lowballed on was a deadstock pair of pants for which I priced based on what a recent auction of the same thing in a less common size sold for. Dude also had the gall to ask if the pants had any stains or odors (what part of "like new" doesn't he understand?).

Anyway, rant over... Maybe it was you I blocked this evening...
nest.gif
WHY, its just a PIA and you get blocked. No one who is doing BIN OBO is going to accept a low price, thats the point of BIN OBO vs an auction... you make sure you get a fair price.
no I don't think it was me you blocked haha I only lowball on things that are obviously overpriced or have been sitting there without offers for a while it has helped me get a number of nice things...

Wow, so many pairs of shoes in one post! You must have good luck. I almost never get decent shoes at a thrift...
I facking knew it!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, garbage always a pass!

^^ FaceOfBoh, great job on the laundry room!
I would agree I would literally always pass on american living except in this instance it was real pebble grain leather that just smelled like heaven and fits me like a glove and is of indistinguishable quality from mid tier brands like brooks brothers or prl

Last edited:

hmmurdock

Reaction score

no I don't think it was me you blocked haha I only lowball on things that are obviously overpriced or have been sitting there without offers for a while it has helped me get a number of nice things...

I would agree I would literally always pass on american living except in this instance it was real pebble grain leather that just smelled like heaven and fits me like a glove and is of indistinguishable quality from mid tier brands like brooks brothers or prl

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok dudes, I'm finally with computer again. Here's what I picked up. It's not a ton of stuff, like one would think would be the result of a 12 hour thrifting bender, but remember I can only carry as much stuff as I can fit on my back. I passed on a vintage HF cashmere topcoat like the one I picked up a couple months ago, this time in camel, but it had a TON of moth nibbles on it, so sad. Also, my first Martin Greenfield. A nice 3 piece that was missing the trousers. :fu: :fu: I turned that store upside down to no avail.
Crombie chesterfield. I had another chesterfield lying around for about a year that I was going to have tailored, but I ended up giving it to a friend of mine who it fit perfectly about2 weeks ago. Then I find this on Friday. Thrift karma. This thing is ****! Double breasted, peaked lapel with a velvet collar in charcoal herringbone. It had about 40 years worth of grime on it but is structurally intact. Not a rip tear or moth bite to be seen. Currently at the cleaners. 38 reg and fits like a glove. :slayer:

Some ties

2 more vintage wools

And these odd birds, apparently handmade by a woman named Joan Dioguardi. Really soft cotton and interesting construction and patterns. There were a bunch more, but these were the coolest ones.

PRL wool bows x4. :slayer: :slayer: N/A

Pringle shetland scarf.

This piece of awesomeness, my size N/A

Pattern matching on the pockets.

BB hand tailored navy in 43R, available

HT barleycorn in a 38S, available.

Bill's that's just begging for some tweed and a Barbour. Possibly dibbed.

Brioni sport SS, M, available

W&G for the bay.

Shirts for myself.

NWT Corneliani rain jacket, my size N/A :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Non SF approved, but whatever, it's awesome. Recent gap field type jacket. N/A

BR cardigan, fill a gap in my wardrobe.

For the wife, BCBG which I read as a xs in the store, so doesn't fit. :brick:

Sick Kate Spade handbag. Thread cherry popper?

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hope to head out and hit a couple of stores a little bit later today.

In the meantime, here's today's thrift fit. Lunch with my boss's boss plus teaching tonight, so stepped up the game beyond separates.

Brioni
Finamore
Zegna cashmere
wool/silk handrolled square, maker unknown (retail)
Watch = the new Regency!
Romano Martegani double monks (HUGE SHOUT TO FUECO!)
Socks are Pantherella, courtesy of Evil Abed's Secret Santa gift

The pose has really distorted the fit here. Trousers and jacket are actually pretty slim fitting, but look really baggy here.

tben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't care about the derail question I am about to ask considering what went on here over the last several pages, so with that said, women's??

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Ez, man, those bowties!
drool.gif

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

GMMcl love the tie! I need to order some shirts, how do you like those finamore shirts?

Thanks!
I like the Finamore a lot. Cut is great, fabric is soft. Collars are long enough to stay under the lapel, and collar band is tall enough to handle really substantial ties without looking overstuffed. Buttons are thick and holes are hand sewn, so a couple of them are a little reluctant after a fresh press, but not as bad as some of the Borrellis I have. If I'm honest, the neck on this one is just a hair too snug, but that's just me needing to eat more broccoli and less Chunky Monkey.

Interesting side note. I was looking at all my Neapolitain shirts the other day wondering why the eff they put the cuff button so high on the cuff. It's like 80% up the cuff, rather than centered. Then I put this on today and realized it's to accommodate a watch. Cuff stays nice and tight, while flaring just enough to cover my watch. Clever.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Quoted with promised sizing info added.
Ok, got tired of taking pics...this is about 3/4s of it.
Sizing deets to follow in the next day or so.

Vintage Ultra-thick Harris Tweed by Kenneth Mackenzie - 42R

Harris Tweed - 46L

Banana Republic - 40R

Had to pick it up....I just love the ridiculous.

Super Gun Check Tweed - 41R

Brooks Brothers Poplin SC - 46R

Brooks Brothers - Linen, silk, wool blend - 43L

Brooks Brothers Italy SC - 42L

Brooks Brothers Blue Brass SC - 42L

Jack Victor SC - 42R-42L

Andover Shop - Heavy Linen SC - 44R

Lanvin Camel SC - 42S

J Press, Pressidential, Donegal Magee Tweed - 44R

Vintage Tweed - 42R

J Press Plaid SC - 44R

Brooks Brothers POW Camel SC - 41S

Vintage Stanley Blacker Tweed - 44L-44XL

Brooks Brothers Italy Linen SC - 44R - SOLD

Maus Hoffman SC - Wool/Cashmere - 42R

Summerweight SC - 41R

Vintage Bally Castle Tweed Car Coat - 40R

J Press Birdseye Suit - 44R 38/27

H Freeman Chalk stripe Suit - 44R 37/30

J Press Beige Pin Stripe Suit - 44R 37/27

H Freeman POW Suit - 44R 36/30

Hickey Freeman Loro Piana Suit - 44R 37/26

Hickey Freeman Glen Plaid Suit - 39R 32/30

Hickey Freeman Windowpane Suit 40S 35/28

Hickey Freeman Wool/Cashmere Suit - 42R 35/29

Hickey Freeman Gray Suit 43R 34/30

Flannel Glen Plaid 3 Piece - 40L 30/31

Samuelsohn Pin Stripe Suit - 46L 36/30

Samuelsohn Pin Stripe Suit - 46R 38/31

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Loro Piana Orphan - 40R

NOS Carolina Boots - 7D

Vintage Hanover Spade Cap Toes 11

Hanover Longwings - 11D

Allen Edmonds Park Aves - 9.5B - thin soles

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks!
I like the Finamore a lot. Cut is great, fabric is soft. Collars are long enough to stay under the lapel, and collar band is tall enough to handle really substantial ties without looking overstuffed. Buttons are thick and holes are hand sewn, so a couple of them are a little reluctant after a fresh press, but not as bad as some of the Borrellis I have. If I'm honest, the neck on this one is just a hair too snug, but that's just me needing to eat more broccoli and less Chunky Monkey.

Interesting side note. I was looking at all my Neapolitain shirts the other day wondering why the eff they put the cuff button so high on the cuff. It's like 80% up the cuff, rather than centered. Then I put this on today and realized it's to accommodate a watch. Cuff stays nice and tight, while flaring just enough to cover my watch. Clever.
Why not have both???
Broccoli_Monkey_large.jpg

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hope to head out and hit a couple of stores a little bit later today.

In the meantime, here's today's thrift fit. Lunch with my boss's boss plus teaching tonight, so stepped up the game beyond separates.

Brioni
Finamore
Zegna cashmere
wool/silk handrolled square, maker unknown (retail)
Watch = the new Regency!
Romano Martegani double monks (HUGE SHOUT TO FUECO!)
Socks are Pantherella, courtesy of Evil Abed's Secret Santa gift

The pose has really distorted the fit here. Trousers and jacket are actually pretty slim fitting, but look really baggy here.

If I was your boss's boss I'd be intimidated. This is a real power fit.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ GMMcL, man, that is a bad ass suit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads