1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I think that would be too much work. The Grammies (and to a lesser extent the Oscars) have gotten so detailed that what is broadcast is the very tippy-tip of the iceberg. There are dozens and dozens of Grammies awarded each year, most of which no one ever notices.

However, I think that the yet-to-be-named judges (and this part hasn't been figured out yet) should have discretion in bestowing special awards--perhaps if this works out, we'll be talking Lifetime Achievements at some point when we are all old and gray. Also keep in mind that runner-ups will get recognition.

2. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Senior member

Picked up the days headlines from 1918 to 1981

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  3. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I had thought about that sort of thing. Something like this, presuming it lasts, is going to get very old very quickly if the same folks keep winning. If it proves a problem, we could always establish divisions--Veterans, Pros, whatever.

Gawd. I might be taking this too seriously...

4. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Great ideas. This made me think Comeback Thrifter Of The Year, but I'm not sure how something like that would work...

5. marc roberto

marc roberto Senior member

3 people like this.
  6. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

I LOVE this idea. Whoever wins must pose with trophy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  7. hbkshin

hbkshin Senior member

This is really fucking cool

8. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Basically one particular noob has more enthusiasm than experience and wanted to learn things the hard way. Rest assured, he'll either figure it out or give up.

Sorry for the cliffhanger ending.

9. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

Those were mine. They just sold - one of you guys? I hope so...

10. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Indeed. Friend of mine was recently pawing through stacks at a local bookstore and came across an original "Dewey Defeats Truman." The whole paper, not a tear sheet. After a bit of haggling, and not too much, the price ended up at a couple hundred bucks, a sliver of actual worth. My guy didn't know what it could fetch, nor, obviously, did the seller, but it ended up like all such things should, with it hanging on his wall and not available at any price.

2 people like this.
  11. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Senior member

Everything looks right except that interior label, which could be too new (like this year) that I havent handled or seen yet. Never saw Chinese on the other tag either. Could just be updates.
    [/QUOTE]

Thanks mate! This shop has some folks who authenticate and told me they were recent, so that would make sense. 37" inseam - guessing they are unhemmed, maybe NWOT.

12. suited

suited Senior member

I would add "Most Improved Thrifter." This would be someone who is in their 2nd year of thrifting, as opposed to Rookie of the Year.

13. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Cool! They popped up in one of my saved searches. My first thought was, "Why you not 9.5D!??!"

14. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Whole paper? That's sweet!

My dad has a collection of old papers. At least I hope he didn't get rid of them. I seem to recall JFK assassination being one of them.

15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

just a quick note from someone who hosted WAYWRN challenge polls for a year + - I think this should be pretty simple in two categories, maybe three MAXIMUM :

- find of the year
    - thrifter of the year
    -rookie of the year

of course, if there is a category for which thrifting a ferrari is eligible for winning, i will support a 4th :D

but we really dont need more than item, person, and rookie.

3 people like this.
  16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Senior member

Two stops. Three pickups.

AE Size 14 for you clown feet folk; Brioni; Captain America Bike Jersey

[​IMG]

17. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

Ugh, so you're telling me I need to go troll around BH... Hmm it is Sunday, suppose my chances are a bit better. Shoulda snapped a shot of the murdered out Aventador I drove past there yesterday... Fucking bat mobile.

1 person likes this.
  18. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

19. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

20. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.