• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hit my usual thrift stores today. One is notorious for splitting suits up as they have 100+ jackets and like 5 suits on the rack. Found a nice Hickey Freeman jacket, and wanted those pants so took my time looking through pants (which I never do). On the last rack of pants I ended up finding them, but also found a pair of Isaia pants which are solid gray but obviously for a suit
censored.gif
At least someone got a nice SC I'm sure.

Also found a NWT Canali tie, two Borrelli shirts, aMartin Greenfield S/C and a bunch of other goodies which I should have pictures and listed tomorrow.
Did you grab the pants? I'll take solid colored pants from isaia any day :)

ilikethelights

Reaction score
Haven't found much of anything in a few weeks but had 2 finds in a couple stops today:

APC black gingham shirt, size L but a bit small so it fits me. Nice and heavy for the colder months.

John W Nordstrom Cashmere sportcoat, no size marked but fits me almost perfect (not sure if I'm keeping it yet)

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Really?
An estate sale is a sale to liquidate the items remaining after a person has died.

Either that or they are doing some severe downsizing or moving into a senior home. This is basically it; selling off most of the contents of the home.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hit a shop while running a couple errands today. Nothing mind blowing, but definitely cool finds.

Vintage Red/Black Plaid hunting jacket/pants by Woods Bag & Canvas of Canada. I'd guess there are from the 50's, judging by how narrow the belt loops are. I've found a couple jackets like this here and there, but to find the pants as well is a rare find!

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

DSC01364.jpg

Also found these Ferragamo ties amongst a bunch of Ferragamo-esque Joseph A Bank ties.

DSC01368.jpg

phxguy

Reaction score
Navy pinstripe wool John Nordstrom double breasted suit, never hemmed/worn

Navy pinstripe wool John Nordstrom three button suit, used but looks brand new, will require maybe $20 of tailoring

Hugo Boss light blue dress shirt, never worn

Calvin Klein grey wool slacks, never hemmed/worn

Beige Pazoni slacks, never hemmed/worn

Gray silk/wool Canali slacks, hemmed/worn but no discernable wear, perfect fit

Cole Haan Black Tassle Loafers, never worn

Cole Haan Tan Derbys, worn probably five times

Allen Edmonds Burgundy Penny Loafers, worn once or twice

$345

EDIT: And two ties...John Nordstrom and ... can't remember.

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was this from a Nordstrom Rack or something? That's a ton of money for thrifts. Don't think I've ever spent that much at a thrift. My most expensive haul was from a thrift that acquired most of Carl Pohlad's wardrobe. Cashmere Brioni, MTM Oxxford, Cucinelli and tons of other high end labels.Couldn't leave this stuff behind and large cart-load.Spent about $225 that day.

mco543

Reaction score
Today they were just putting things out at Goodwill and I stumbled onto a nice tie collection plus I got a (most likely fake) surprise in a pocket of a suit I purchased.

Ties left behind

2 Canali - both were beige-ish/gold
Hugo Boss - Very dark beige with orange and green circles
Armani - Chocolate brown with dark brown/black circles
Ted Baker - Orange with woven orange/dark orange circles
Zegna - Red with blue dots
Altea - Geometric in gold and blue
Valentino - Red with some kind of like pink/purple/white candy cane pattern repeating through it
Fendi - Light blue with repeatng F symbol
NWT Robert Talbot - Plain solid beige
Calvin Klein - Black and red, I only mention this because it was $12.00 while the Charvet I found was $4.00

I also left behind a vintage brown tweed DB suit that had patch pockets because of what appeared to be a scorch mark, a real Gucci duffle bag because it had a broken zipper, and a Burberry London purse because my girlfriend would've hated it.

Purchased
2 Zegna - 1 light blue and 1 burnt orange, both are really nice
Charvet - Gold/Black
I also purchased a solid grey DB suit that had all the tags ripped out of it and what I'm guessing is a fake Cartier Tank watch in the inside jacket pocket.

Found previous weeks (now with pix)
Robert Talbot Best of Class - Purple paisley with green/blue
Banana Republic - Navy blue wool tie
3 shirts from the same (I'd guess) custom shirt maker, Arthur & C. that fit me perfectly
Gilcrest - Charcoal DB with blue and red windowpane (probably dated but I really liked it)
Really cool retro Ziari sunglasses, I'd never heard of the brand before but from what I found on Google they were incredibly well made

Crappy iPhone pix
img1056em.jpg

img1058m.jpg

img1059pg.jpg

img1057tq.jpg

img1061zm.jpg

img1063gwbfuryp.jpg

img1065n.jpg

img1067yi.jpg

img1068qu.jpg

img1046pw.jpg

img1069zk.jpg

The most likely fake Cartier
img1060wg.jpg

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a real Gucci duffle bag because it had a broken zipper

If you're almost positive it's real, you should have grabbed it if the price was right. Retail on these is insane, so is resale. A zipper is an easy fix...

That Cartier is definitely fake, but you can't really beat free!

Last edited:

mco543

Reaction score

If you're almost positive it's real, you should have grabbed it if the price was right. Retail on these is insane, so is resale. A zipper is an easy fix...
That Cartier is definitely fake, but you can't really beat free!

They were asking iirc $200 or $250 for the bag but it wasn't worth chancing it if I'm wrong and taking into consideration the ratty assedness of the zipper area.

And yeah I pretty much figured it was a copy but even still for a moment it was an exciting surprise, usually all I find in suit pockets is the occasional used and abused handkerchef. Not sure if I should fix the bracelet, put a battery in it and use it as a beater or toss it. Like you said, you can't beat free.

Last edited:

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Found a couple nice Zegna shirts and blue label polo pants today, but
I passed on the $10 Thomas Pink shirt

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Haha, yeah. Definitely not wearing both at once unless I'm out shoveling snow or something and warmth reigns over looks. I figure as seperate pieces, these would work great for streetwear/workwear steez.

Of course!

Do the pants have an Isaia label inside? If so, there's a good chance they're just trousers. I've never seen a label on a pair of suit trousers, just the fabric content/size tag.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads