1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I wear an old J.C.Higgins duck hunting jacket when I go thrifting. The leather gun-stock pad sits right under the shoulder strap of the old black naval gear bag that I use to put everything in. I hate collecting a pile of plastic Goodwill bags on the floor of my pantry. I use the poachers' pocket in the back of the hunting jacket to put my gloves and scarf in while I'm madly searching for Robert Graham shirts, 1980's Christian Dior ties, and square-toe Kenneth Coles.

2. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

A few weeks ago, I came across a guy with a list while thrifting. If you guess right, this list had most of the high end quality brand in it. This guy would not know the difference between flat front and triple pleats pants or anything about clothes at all. He went on to grab a beige Brioni Roma suit jacket tagged 42L, but have been altered to a 40R or less. I hardly talk to anybody when I thrift, but I had to educate him on that, he looked at me as if I am an alien. This guy and many others have no clue why a Brioni is a Brioni or what set it apart form J. Ferrar an so forth, they just know that they sell on ebay.

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

And if they're Euro 9s, I'M interested. Where am I on the dibs list?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Andro - That is the fakest Gucci I have ever seen in my life, and Ive seen a lot.

Amadar - Heartbreaker on the women's - although a size EU 50 for women is like a size 18-20, which I don't think is in a normal range of production in women's wear. Usually, its 38,40,42,44. Maaayyybe 46 (XXL). Can we see the tag?

5. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Here are yesterday finds:

Pendleton Jacket Sz M (Thinsulate lined):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pendleton Unstructured Jacket Sz L:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hickey Freeman Suit Sz 46XL:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I normally would not have picked up this because it's an older label, but it is in exceptionally nice shape.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Nothing wrong with an older label if the cut is classic. That looks like a great find!

7. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Dislike the gorge and button stance on that suit. Bet it's from the 80's.

8. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Lol just read up on that thrifting wars series, not too worried myself. I gess since ill be moving from LA for law school I won't have to worry about the hordes raiding my beloved spots. I'm sure a few people will get into it briefly, but really, people thAt go occasionally aren't going to be finding kitons left and right, and they wont be going to places like goodwill or something. My only concern is that they might serve to raise prices in spots like goodwill hoping to catch new people with high prices for like Coach and LV bags. That said though, I'm usually in my spots when they open and on to my third or fourth store before people are even waking up.

Why has everyone been buying the shit out of Pendletons lately? I like them as shirts, but they don't seem THAT nice, or do they just sell well on the bay? Also, that Big E stuff is legitimately one of the first times I've heard of a luxury brand from a known maker in a while. Last time I think was learning about RLPL and Bl.

9. amadar

amadar Senior member

Spoo, below are the pics of the back and front of the only tag attached. If it helps, p2p is 20" and shoulders are 17".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

It almost looks like it should be a three button. Again it was cheap and in good shape.

11. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Old Pendleton stuff that is made in the US is really good quality.It also moves on the AAAC read forum.

12. MattR

MattR Senior member

Normally wouldn't post this, given its ubiquity, but I was surprised at the markdowns I found today. Not a thrift find, but I was back over at Nordstrom Rack for their clearance sale. They had their remaining BB Made in US shirts all on clearance for 75% off their prices. Grabbed a blue on blue striped number for $44 after tax. Not too shabby. To the NOVA fellas: they had lots of sizes left, if you're interested.

The guy at the front told me stores in our area will be getting new BB shipments starting Tuesday to restock. So I guess this turned out to be part PSA, haha.

13. ocooney

ocooney Senior member

Have been following this thread as a lurker for some time and finally have had a day worth bragging about (although I did post the 100% Vicuna coat I found about a year ago). I'm keeping the Paul Stuart shirt, the Cuccinelli and the Andover shop jacket. If you're interested in any of the rest, let me know. Looking for sweaters in L, brown shoes in 11D or BB Slim fit 17 x 34 in staple colors. Thanks, :

Brioni, tagged size 40
    [​IMG]

Brunello Cuccinelli 100% Cashmere. We'll see how this looks after a trip to the cleaners.
    [​IMG]

Andover shop. Lots of Andover shop today, but this fits nicely:
    [​IMG]

L-R Top: Oxxford, Hermes, Sulka. Bottom: Oxxford, Brioni, Brioni
    [​IMG]

Barbera. Scoured the store for the pants to no avail. But with the patch pockets and pattern, should be ok as a jacket. 21" P2P; 19" Shoulder (quick measurement)

][​IMG]

[[​IMG]
    Paul Stuart

[​IMG]

Not a fan of calling something NWOT, but this is close. Bedale in black tagged 36:

/
    [​IMG]

14. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Found my daily bijan. It's a sport coat or suit jacket, size 52.
    Also a shirt by some brand called charvet? It sounded French so I picked it up.
    Also a gitman shirt, 14.5 32/33 and a Robert graham for the moolah.

15. MattR

MattR Senior member

expect to hear from brianpore soon

16. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

charvet is one of the best shirts you can buy, expect to hear from everyone soon :happy:

17. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Senior member

Also does anyone know about Alain figaret shirts? I found about 15 of them. Are they worth picking up?

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They're the Parisian Thomas Pink. Been around for a long time though.

19. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

haha, I've found most Gitmans are not slim enough in the chest for me, BUT I'll PM just to make sure [​IMG]

20. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks. Good info.

I've been waiting to see if they'll get some new AEs esp. dark for business wear. They seem to have an abundance of "chili" colored AEs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.