• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did pick up 3 A-Man Hing Cheong dress shirts in my size!

And a Corneliani sportcoat - grey - 5% cashmere.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
This hat, NWT - $4.
http://www.paulstuart.com/product_in...SUBPRODCATID=0

RLPL by Chester Barrie houndstooth sportcoat - $10

Wow, I am jealous. I'm a hat guy, and that is a nice one.
smile.gif

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I found another Borrelli shirt today. Problem is, one of the collar stays has been melted into the shirt, and it left a visible mark on the collar. I am wondering if it is possible to fix this, or is this shirt ruined? I can return it, but if it is salvageable I would obviously prefer to keep it. Here's a pic:

00005.jpg

Other than this problem, the shirt is in excellent condition. No fraying on the collar or cuffs, stitches tight everywhere, no stains etc. I think i've heard there is a place online that can replace a collar from the tail of a shirt. Anyone know about this? I have 7 days to return this if it doesn't work out.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
I found another Borrelli shirt today. Problem is, one of the collar stays has been melted into the shirt, and it left a visible mark on the collar. I am wondering if it is possible to fix this, or is this shirt ruined? I can return it, but if it is salvageable I would obviously prefer to keep it. Here's a pic:

00005.jpg

Other than this problem, the shirt is in excellent condition. No fraying on the collar or cuffs, stitches tight everywhere, no stains etc. I think i've heard there is a place online that can replace a collar from the tail of a shirt. Anyone know about this? I have 7 days to return this if it doesn't work out.

You may want to try removing the collar stays and washing the shirt with warm water. This was most likely done by dry-cleaning, correct?

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
You may want to try removing the collar stays and washing the shirt with warm water. This was most likely done by dry-cleaning, correct?

Probably, but the collar stay is fused into the shirt. I could heat it up to get it out of the shirt, but I suspect that may aggrevate the problem.

jeremyjoe

Reaction score
got some nice finds today from my usual stores $9 Mani Giorgio Armani 2 button Suit - Doesnt even need to be taken to the tailor $3.50 Mani Giorgio Armani Jacket - couldnt find pants anywhere, but its nice and heavy
frown.gif
$6 Gordon Rush shoes black no laces $1 E Zegna Tie $5 B. Republic Merino Wool sweater NWOT (I know its BR but it fit me well) $5 Paul Smith Button down cufflink shirt - small stain but oxy clean and shout stain remover does wonders $11 Jones New York wool full length overcoat - must weigh like 5 pounds but will be perfect when i move to new york for the winters passed on a saks5 passport blazer, botony 500 blazer, BB blazers, pauw wool overcoat and a canali blazer...maybe ill go back for the canali one cause it was a blue plaid but 3 button and super funky

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted a few days ago about a pair of Florsheim Imperial's I picked up, and i'm trying to determine if they are cordovan. Anybody guess from this picture?

00001-1.jpg

Definitely not cordovan. The fine creasing is the giveaway. Florsheim probably was not making any more cordovan shoes by the time these were made.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think i've heard there is a place online that can replace a collar from the tail of a shirt. Anyone know about this? I have 7 days to return this if it doesn't work out.

This is your man:

http://www.collarreplacement.com/shipping.htm

I have heard good things but haven't tried him out myself. I have a few shirts that'll I be sending in over the next few weeks. I'll provide a review when I get them back. In the meantime, I'd give him a try and let us know. Search around here, and you'll see others have given high marks. I'd definitely keep the shirt and give this a try.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
This is your man: http://www.collarreplacement.com/shipping.htm I have heard good things but haven't tried him out myself. I have a few shirts that'll I be sending in over the next few weeks. I'll provide a review when I get them back. In the meantime, I'd give him a try and let us know. Search around here, and you'll see others have given high marks. I'd definitely keep the shirt and give this a try.
They can also do the cuffs from the tail in addition to the collar, but ONLY if you're getting barrel cuffs with buttons (you can send him your own MOP buttons) -- if you're doing French Cuffs, he can do either the collar OR French Cuffs, but not both.... but barrel cuffs he can do both the collar and the cuffs from the tail.... So if you see some Turnbull & Asser, Harvie & Hudson, Sulka, New & Lingwood, Charvet, etc. etc. shirts at thrift shops, and they have frayed collars or a bit of ring-around-the-collar, send them to Mike and he'll make new collars/cuffs for you for $30/shirt. If it's a patterned shirt the pattern will be at a bit of an angle on the collar since he's getting it from the tail - but that's the only major difference.* *haven't tried this service yet, but seems interesting...

Taken Aback

Reaction score
Probably, but the collar stay is fused into the shirt. I could heat it up to get it out of the shirt, but I suspect that may aggrevate the problem.

If you've decided on a collar replacement, then you might as well give removing it a shot first. If it totally melted, then it's probably shot, but if adhered partially, you might be able to blow dry it to a temperature at which you could pull/peel it out with some pliers (for a good grip).

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hit my usual circuit of thrift shops today without finding a single thing. I decided I might as well try the one thrift shop that I pass over a lot because it's usually a waste of time (overpriced garbage and nothing really "high-end"). Got about 80% of the way down the suit/sportcoat rack and was literally frowning at this point due to all the overpriced and outdated Canali jackets here. $40 each and these were the oldest Canali jackets I had ever seen. Must have been from the mid-late 80's. Flipped to the next jacket and I saw that familiar blue/white "Made in Italy" tag again. Turned my frown upside-down! It was a gorgeous Brioni for Wilkes Bashford silk/cashmere blazer. Styling is up-to-date with dual vents, higher notch, etc. My size, too! It'll make a great fall jacket. Cost me $6 (it was half off that color tag today). Sadly, I don't know much about how this thrift opperates other than it buys clothing from charities that don't have a retail outlet in the Twin Cities. Therefore, the rest of this donation charities
DSC06125.jpg
DSC06126.jpg
DSC06127.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics