1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'll confess to being ambivalent about these. I admire the concept and workmanship (and I'm a big fan of velvet slippers) but they strike me as just a bit sinister and truly decadent--more for settling down with a portfolio of Aubrey Beardsley than for a nice wholesome glass of port in front of the fire.

For wearing when you conduct your symphony of intoxicating perfumes, or for tending your garden of poisonous flowers.

2. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

pejsek;721024The thrift stores have just become so grim, with new managers intent on charging high prices (I saw worn mainline Ferragamos at the Goodwill last week for $65!)

pejsek,

If they are charging $65 for Ferragamos at Goodwill, how much are nice suits like Oxxfords and Brionis at Goodwill?

3. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

+1

I'm going to be hitting a few stores today, so we'll see what turns up.

Save some for me...I'm coming through at the end of next month

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I'll confess to being ambivalent about these. I admire the concept and workmanship (and I'm a big fan of velvet slippers) but they strike me as just a bit sinister and truly decadent--more for settling down with a portfolio of Aubrey Beardsley than for a nice wholesome glass of port in front of the fire.
    Yes, very decadent, for reading your vintage limited printing of Hans Bellmer and Paul Eluard whilst smoking through a tortoise-shell holder in your coldly modernist apartment in Geneva. [​IMG]

5. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

pejsek,

If they are charging $65 for Ferragamos at Goodwill, how much are nice suits like Oxxfords and Brionis at Goodwill?

I've been passing on two Brioni jackets at one store for at least a month because they are $20 each and probably a bit out of date. I might take a flyer on them if the price came down, but 20 bucks is to much for a ventless jacket...even Brioni. On the other hand I picked up a three year old two button Oxxford suit at the same store for less than either of the jackets. There isn't a whole lot of logic in most of the pricing.

6. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

There isn't a whole lot of logic in most of the pricing.

That's so true... seems that brands like Nautica, DKNY, Chaps, and other "famous" brands that you'd see at department stores like Macy's and Hechts command the highest prices, whereas "good" brands like Lorenzini, Canali, Fray, Brioni, Attolini, etc. oftentimes fly under the radar. We should be happy that the average person doing the pricing at thrift shops doesn't price by quality of workmanship and materials...

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Not everybody hates ventless. I have no problem with it. People still make ventless suits.

8. tonylumpkin

Not everybody hates ventless. I have no problem with it. People still make ventless suits.

I'm sure, but the ones I've tried to flip in the past have usually had that question come up and it was a deal breaker. The one Brioni has sorely tempted me and if I hit it on a half price day you may see it here.[​IMG]

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

What might be even more dated than ventless would be pleated double-vents. When is the last time you saw that in a modern suit?

10. tonylumpkin

What might be even more dated than ventless would be pleated double-vents. When is the last time you saw that in a modern suit?

The next may well be the first!

11. swb120

swb120 Senior member

Had an ok day yesterday. I found a nearly-new pair of newer Florsheim Imperials in my size for $4. Unfortunately, not a vintage pair, but still a nice-looking pair of shoes with Goodyear Welt construction. I think they're these shoes: http://www.florsheim.com/shop-fl/sho...prod17109.html Also found a pair of vintage Yale Univ. ties

12. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

Wasn't thriftedd ,but I got it at a discount.

[​IMG]

13. whacked

whacked Senior member

^^ wow, grandma's cardigan alert!!!

14. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

^^ wow, grandma's cardigan alert!!!

never [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. meister

meister Senior member

Nice sweater, Alan.
    I've had the thrifting doldrums too. It's not so much that I can't find anything (though pickings are slim). The thrift stores have just become so grim, with new managers intent on charging high prices (I saw worn mainline Ferragamos at the Goodwill last week for $65!) and ever more people who seem to believe that they can make a living reselling on ebay. Where have the romance and adventure gone?!
    Anyway, here are a couple of finds from yesterday. Apparently unworn silk velvet slippers from Sulka:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a nice wool/silk double-sided scarf from yesteryear courtesy of Simpson's:

[​IMG]

Winston Churchill was a Sulka devotee no es verdad? Those shoe trees were not included as well?

16. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide:

[​IMG]

I'm curious how old it is.

17. amerikajinda

amerikajinda Senior member

Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide: I'm curious how old it is.
    My uneducated guess is sometime in the 1950s? And silly question -- but is this related to THE Charvet that we all know and love? The script looks similar. [​IMG]

18. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

And silly question -- but is this related to THE Charvet that we all know and love? The script looks similar.

My assumption is yes. 'Charvet et Fils' is the full name of Charvet to my understanding.

19. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Alas, my out of town trip turned up little via thrift. By far the most interesting thing is this tie, only 2.5" wide:

I'm curious how old it is.

I have a tie or two of this label from this period, and I think this Charvet is unrelated to the French one. Note the (R) under the name. Also check for an RN or WPL label on the other end of the tie.

20. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

There was a Charvet et fils in New York for a number of years. I am not certain what its connection was to the Charvet of Place Vendome. I think there was one, but that it was somewhat loose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.