1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nashville

Nashville Senior member

nashville tn to Atlanta ga ...to Palm beach garden
    found two nice hickey freeman neckties and a black BCBG light weight outer coat today [​IMG]

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Popped into a Goodwill in the hood looking for a last-minute Halloween costume. Didn't find anything for the costume, but snagged a couple RLPL shirts, Brioni shirts, Talbott BoC shirt, and Zanella trousers.

3. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

Went thrifting today and i swear some old guy musta died and left some beautiful garments. I kinda picked threw the stuff and came out with these
    CANALI sportscoat (Navy)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Green Suit by ??? ( I want to venture to say that it is actually bespoke or made to measure but i dont know and can't tell.) I am in love with the material on this suit. Its a lil big, I will prob pay and get it taken in on the sides and possibly taper and take up the pants on my own.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Harris Tweed sportscoat not pictured, may end up for sale
    TOTAL COST TODAY: $25.00 usd

4. swb120

swb120 Senior member

I picked up a pair of beautiful cordovan color wingtips by a company I didn't recognize. Has anyone heard of Harris Tweed? The interior sole states that they're "Benchgrade" and "Made in England." There is additional information on the interior side, including the Last number, and size, and additional writing which I can post, if needed. Here is an admittedly bad photo of the interior of the shoe. Does anyone recognize this brand?

Attachment 6790
    [​IMG]

5. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

They are Churchs shoes branded as "Royal Tweed".

I'm mot sure how Royal Tweed relates to Churchs in the pecking order, but they are definitely a Churchs shoe.

6. distinctive

distinctive Senior member

I believe they are a vintage Cheaney (owned by Church's). They use a lot of shell cordovan-can we see the rest of the shoe?

7. swb120

swb120 Senior member

Here are a few pics. While I hope they're shell cordovan, I'm not optimistic that they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. swb120

swb120 Senior member

Well, since I'm up, I'll post a few photos of my recent finds:

Church's wingtips, size 10D
    [​IMG]

3 ties (from L to R) - Ferragamo, Brooks Bros., Brooks Bros.
    [​IMG]

Oxxford suit - 42S (I think) - navy with white pinstripes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hickey Freeman suit - 40L - navy with light blue pinstripes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Here are a few pics. While I hope they're shell cordovan, I'm not optimistic that they are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No creases to go by, and I'm no expert but the leather looks a little thin for cordovan. Still a nice find, as are the rest of the items!

10. distinctive

I think they're calf but they are in wonderful condition. Nice find

11. mbell

mbell Senior member

I got a beautiful Eton shirt at Nieman Marcus Last Call outlet center for $10. The original price was $200. I've never figured out why there is the rare random item at Last Call that is priced improbably low.

I also got three Ike Behar shirts for $20 each. While the price is nothing exceptional, it was certainly nice to have a choice of colors, patterns and sizes while getting a pretty good deal. And it is enjoyable to get something new once in a while. I always want to hang on to the tags for a while.

A couple weeks ago I found a bunch of better than average Johnston and Murphy shoes at Goodwill. None were priced. I took two pair that were Italian made up to the counter and the lady said "Ooooh, those are designer, they are going to be expensive." [​IMG]
    She calls the manager and he says "$6.99"
    Phew! I wasn't about to pay much more than that.

Several weeks back I got a very fine Lorenzini shirt, white with grey and burgundy pinstripes. $5.99.

The Settlement Home sale is coming up this weekend in Austin. The last two years I haven't had much luck, but I have done very well in the past. Must think good thoughts.[​IMG] If anything, it is a good source for shoe trees (50 cents), other sorts of accessories and some cheap knockaround pants and shirts.

mike

12. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Picked up a really nice Tuxedo (my first[​IMG] ) today at SA. It's a narrow shawl lapel with single short vent and flat front pants. The trimming is satin. tagged Executive Group by Bond Clothes tailored in Rochester and I'm guessing it's from the early sixties. Fits me perfect at the sleeve and the inseam (34) which is rare. Full canvas construction and lined in the upper back. The only weird part is the pants. They have a really high rise which is fine but the have only 2 buttons (4 total) on the outside of the waistband and they are about 5 inches from each other. Is that some sort of weird suspender?

13. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

14. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

Picked this up at the thrift store on monday and just got it back from the dry cleaners today. I thought it to be a really solid fit, no alterations really needed. But I think its brand new, all the pockets are still sewn shut. FEEDBACK WANTED!
    HART SHAFFNER & MARX
    [​IMG]

15. xchen

xchen Senior member

The fit is pretty good on it. I wish I could find nice sportcoats when I go thrifting!

16. lrooff

lrooff Member

I've gotta kvell about this one... I regularly poke around the local thrift stores while taking a stroll during my lunch hour. Yesterday, I was leafing through the suits at our Humane Society thrift store and happened across a nice Oxxford Cashmere sports coat in my size (42L) in a nice black and white herringbone for the price of $4.00. The liner needs to have the basting repaired where a couple inches of stitching came loose just above the vent, but other than that, it's perfect. The frustrating thing was seeing, just next to it, four Hickey-Freeman sports coats in a 46L that were just plain too big. <sigh>

On the other hand, I also recently came across two Hickey-Freeman Boardroom suits -- 1 navy pinstripe, 1 navy windowpane -- for $15 each, perfect fit, and a medium blue Armani DB blazer for the whopping price of $2.95.

I've found that it's not too hard to find great clothing in great shape in thrift stores because (1) most men who dress well don't shop there, and (2) the people who do shop there don't seem to know the difference between Oxxford and JC Penny.

Estate sales seem to be the same way around here. Best buy at one was a nice black cashmere overcoat, NWT, for $5 a couple years ago. My boss has an identical one that he bought for $1200. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him what I'd paid for it...

17. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Nice find Minkous. Maybe it's the angle but the sleeves seem a tad short. I'd probably let it down and show less cuff.

18. distinctive

a nice Oxxford Cashmere sports coat in my size (42L) in a nice black and white herringbone for the price of $4.00.

Holler at me if you would like to sell one

19. lrooff

lrooff Member

Holler at me if you would like to sell one
    No, this one is a keeper. Given that I'm the lowest-paid person in the building, I've taken a perverse pride of sorts in outdressing all the attorneys in town. This one puts me waaaay over the top. [​IMG]

20. distinctive

No, this one is a keeper. Given that I'm the lowest-paid person in the building, I've taken a perverse pride of sorts in outdressing all the attorneys in town. This one puts me waaaay over the top. [​IMG]

There ya go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.