The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

still, i find it best for something i really want to wait until about 45 seconds left and post my max ... don't know if anyone else does that or not. i went through a real long streak of getting sniped. too cheap to sign up for a snipe software, but this seems to work really well for me. doesn't give the snipers enough time to re-bid.

I also snipe manually sometimes, but I snipe within 10 seconds of the end by starting the process at about 15 seconds. 45 seconds gives someone plenty of time to see your bid and top it if they are so inclined.

It seems that the first 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes of an auction is solely for the purpose of allowing interested buyers to find the item. In my experience, most bidding happens inside the last minute.

2. BlueHorseShoe

BlueHorseShoe Senior member

I also snipe manually sometimes, but I snipe within 10 seconds of the end by starting the process at about 15 seconds. 45 seconds gives someone plenty of time to see your bid and top it if they are so inclined.

Do you never get sucked into the thrill of winning an auction and wind up bidding way more than you ever intended.

"You have been outbid. Increase your maximum bid." [​IMG]

It seems that the first 6 days 23 hours and 59 minutes of an auction is solely for the purpose of allowing interested buyers to find the item. In my experience, most bidding happens inside the last minute.

Absolutely correct.

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Do you never get sucked into the thrill of winning an auction and wind up bidding way more than you ever intended.

"You have been outbid. Increase your maximum bid." [​IMG]

Happened to me more than I'd like to admit. I've also lost my fair share of auctions that ended dirt cheap because I had the auction set up all ready to snipe then got sidetracked and forgot about it. [​IMG]

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    Happened to me more than I'd like to admit. I've also lost my fair share of auctions that ended dirt cheap because I had the auction set up all ready to snipe then got sidetracked and forgot about it. [​IMG]
    my brotha from anotha motha! all part of the bay's peculiar charm. one other odd thing: i've noticed that the ebay app on my iphone works better than the website through my desktop.

5. alfair

alfair Member

I did some research w/regards to the Burberrys suit. From what I understand the Burberrys label was used until 1999 so the Prorsum is not the runway line but was part of the main production. Do you guys know if it should say Made in England?

6. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

anyone have experience with Loden Frey coats? Found a MINT vintage one in my size for 16 bucks so i had to buy it. ill try to get pics up tomorrow but it is identical to this one except a medium blue color. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199818

7. mainy

mainy Senior member

I did some research w/regards to the Burberrys suit. From what I understand the Burberrys label was used until 1999 so the Prorsum is not the runway line but was part of the main production. Do you guys know if it should say Made in England?

no it will say made in USA. they are decent quality suits but don't buy it just because of the burberry tag, they really aren't that special. just slightly nicer department store fare at the time.

8. alfair

alfair Member

no it will say made in USA. they are decent quality suits but don't buy it just because of the burberry tag, they really aren't that special. just slightly nicer department store fare at the time.
    Ah, okay. Thanks mainy.

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

anyone have experience with Loden Frey coats? Found a MINT vintage one in my size for 16 bucks so i had to buy it. ill try to get pics up tomorrow but it is identical to this one except a medium blue color.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199818

I have a LodenFrey. It's very nice, very warm. I've been wearing it a lot this winter. You did extremely well.

10. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Today I learned how a Zilli composition tag looks like. And today I realized I passed on one of their leather jackets. Trying not to kill myself right now.

11. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

I have a LodenFrey. It's very nice, very warm. I've been wearing it a lot this winter. You did extremely well.

Awesome. My old lady hates it. But I think its fantastic

12. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Today I learned how a Zilli composition tag looks like. And today I realized I passed on one of their leather jackets. Trying not to kill myself right now.

Yikes! Better high-tail it back there tomorrow and hope nobody snagged it. For your sake, Zilli isn't as well known as Hermes, Louis Vuitton, etc for luxury goods.

13. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

I remember it from two months ago. [​IMG]

I thought it looked super nice, however, it was missing the lining so didn't know what it was.

14. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

anyone have experience with Loden Frey coats? Found a MINT vintage one in my size for 16 bucks so i had to buy it. ill try to get pics up tomorrow but it is identical to this one except a medium blue color.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=199818

I will buy it off you for at least double that if you decide to sell it. That is, if it is a medium or smaller.

15. Bartlebooth

Bartlebooth Senior member

Thrifty iGents, there are days when you find good things, cool things, neat things, unfortunately damaged things, and things that fit or fit close enough.

And then there are days when the thrift gods smile and you find exactly what you were looking for, and it is better than you could have expected.

I was muddling along on one of my pre-work swing-bys, happy to have found a BB slim-fit blue, light orange and dark orange striped shirt and a Billy Reid monogram shirt. I mean, a Billy Reid shirt is odd enough; you don't come across newer designers like that very often, so I was excited. And it's a kinda neat twist on a classic shirt: a white (though the link's purple) OCBD with "cream twill taping" along the inside of the placket and a ribbon detail at the bottom, with a BR monogram over the bottom of the left ribcage and a shorter collar than you usually find on OCBDs. This thing'll look great wrinkled up with a loosened repp tie. But even before this shirt, I've been keeping on an eye out for what's missing from that outfit, and lo and behold, the next thing I stumble across: a YSL navy blazer. The thrift gods smiled even more because there was no size tag, so the pleasure of slipping on with no forewarning a jacket that fits like it was tailored for me was only greater.

I will say, It's one of the weirder fabrics I've ever felt"‚ÄĚthere was a similarly fabriced khaki YSL suit at this particular Goodwill last week, so it looks to be from a certain era, and the Vintage Fashion Guild has a similar label dated to a men's coat from the 70s. It's very thick and has a really pronounced rib to the touch; it feels like cotton when you move slowly over it, but it kinda feels vinyl-ish when you run your hand quickly over it.

Anyway, I figured you guys would appreciate that rare joy of thrifting exactly what you're looking for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.