The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EBTX66

EBTX66 Senior member

+1 on Gixen. I snipe because in my experience guys who bid their highest up front only drive up the end price. That drives me nuts, unless of course it's one of my listings. [​IMG]

2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I picked up a belt today for a couple of bucks. It is my size, so I don't care of the outcome either way, but it is a Ralph Lauren Polo belt that appears to be alligator/crocodile. Alternatively, it could be some sort of embossed leather I guess. I'm trying to do some research on it now.

In addition to the belt I grabbed a Herringbone Harris Tweed sport coat with Suede elbow patches for when I feel like dressing as an old man. The LL Bean lambswool cardigan with leather buttons I also picked up will complete the look.

Overall, it was an OK day for about 12 bucks.

3. BarrelMaker

BarrelMaker Senior member

i found a chrysalis wool coat for 15 really similar to this [​IMG] also a pair of RRL selvedge button fly straight leg jeans

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^^

That......is..........gorgeous......

That would actually make a really cool casual outfit paired with the RRL selvedge jeans. Nicely done!

5. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Question

I purchased items from a SFer. It was delivered on Monday per usps tracking. However, I don't have it and the mail room said they don't have it either. The sender said he has a screen shot of the address so I'm wondering what went wrong as I've never had a problem before with packages.

Thoughts? What should I require him to do? What should I do?

Cheers

6. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

Sort of interesting day, by "normal-thrifter" standards: OLD Zegna dress shirt, my size (two lines with circle-z & ermenegildo zegna in the middle label). I don't think the oldest Zegna item I've seen but it's got to be dang close. I'll still wear it, though... it's evicting a Roundtree & Yorke! [​IMG] Recent Canali dress shirt - pink buttondown size 42 - @#%@# be a 44-45 dangit! Recent Zegna 100% linen, size L - was hoping it might fit-ish but it's a smallish L [​IMG] Old Canali tie Old Zegna wool/cashmere DB suit - ventless [​IMG] but it fits me so I'll take it! Recent Hickey-Freeman sweater, 75% silk 25% cotton - my size, <3 despite Made in China! One question: Passed on a Ralph Lauren Collection (purple label) women's jacket, single-button. Wasn't sure what the heck to do with that so I put it on hold and thought I'd ask here if anyone's had any luck flipping that kind of thing? I've never really had any interest/knowledge to look at women's stuff, though I do look at the coats/sweaters semi-routinely and the pants for mates - but only for men's stuff that's misfiled, never found anything in WOMENS that I knew to grab, at least beyond some cashmere sweaters as gifts and some Torrid stuff for my wife. EDIT: I see from Ebay that leaving the jacket was wise - but the question stands: anyone have any tips on WOMEN'S stuff?

7. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

I've never had any luck selling women's stuff. Even uber high end stuff. The only women's stuff I pick up now is stuff for my wife, half of which ends up being re-donated or given away because she says they're "ugly" [​IMG]

8. eafiii

eafiii New Member

Last Friday, I picked up a pair of original Dunham's 7531 Tyroleans from 1968. They started becoming popular on college campuses and became all the rage in the 70's. They were called "Waffle Stompers", "Hippie Slippers", "Grannie Boots" and "Shirt Kickers" (minus the "r" in shirt).

Iconic 60's fashion.....$3.50

[​IMG]

9. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I've never had any luck selling women's stuff. Even uber high end stuff. The only women's stuff I pick up now is stuff for my wife, half of which ends up being re-donated or given away because she says they're "ugly" [​IMG]

I hear ya. I have a Made in Italy Burberry wool coat I'm going to try to sell on ebay because she didn't like it. I also have a Loro Piana shirt that didn't fit her that's headed to ebay. Ah well.

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Speaking of Burberry, I found a gorgeous black quilted recent Burberry jacket for her a few years ago. She wore it a few times but always saidt it didn't fit right. I eventually cleaned out the coat closet and tossed it on eBay. It was was the only women's item I had luck selling. I think it went for $150.

11. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Last Friday, I picked up a pair of original Dunham's 7531 Tyroleans from 1968. They started becoming popular on college campuses and became all the rage in the 70's. They were called "Waffle Stompers", "Hippie Slippers", "Grannie Boots" and "Shirt Kickers" (minus the "r" in shirt).

Iconic 60's fashion.....$3.50

[​IMG]

jesus those look like two loaves of bread

12. Temujin

Temujin Senior member

A couple recent finds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Question

I purchased items from a SFer. It was delivered on Monday per usps tracking. However, I don't have it and the mail room said they don't have it either. The sender said he has a screen shot of the address so I'm wondering what went wrong as I've never had a problem before with packages.

Thoughts? What should I require him to do? What should I do?

Cheers

IMO it's no longer the seller's responsibility if he can prove he sent it to the right address and USPS shows it delivered. Sounds like a problem either with the USPS delivering it to the wrong place or your mailroom misplacing it. Either way, it might show up soon.

14. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Haven't been out much this month since I've been moving, but did snag a nice looking pair of AE wingtips that are a little snug but fit earlier this week.

15. eafiii

eafiii New Member

jesus those look like two loaves of bread

[​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah, I guess they do look like two loaves of bread. Considering that they were all the rage on campus in '68, I guess you could say they've been "baked" a few times. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.