Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

Your boots have inspired me to do the same. If I used acetone on black leather, do you think I could dye it a brown or a grey?

Also, where did you buy the dye
    and how is this different from cream/polish?

Cheers

http://www.cobblersupplies.com/servl...Dye/Categories

The blacks I've done are still black.

Whether you can dye a black shoe a lighter color will depend on the type of leather and how deeply the black dye has penetrated. If you're going to go with a lighter color, you'll need to first be able to strip it down to plain beige, with almost no hint of black remaining. There's no way to know before starting whether you'll be able to do that with a particular shoe.

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

I see. I said black
    because most shoes are
    black. I am slowly turning into a shoe/suit fanatic. What have you all
    done to me!?
    cheers

3. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Senior member

I see. I said black
    because most shoes are
    black. I am slowly turning into a shoe/suit fanatic. What have you all
    done to me!?
    cheers

It's true for other colors, too. You can only dye as light as you're able to strip the original color off. If you aren't able to strip much, you have to go darker. Since black is as dark as it gets, black limits your options the most.

4. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

I found most of these ties at thrift stores at the beginning of the month - 2 Zegna, 1 YSL, 2 Lanvin, 1 PRL, 1 Christian Dior, and 1 Harry Rosen. I was happy with them all at first, but I'm having doubts with whether or not they're authentic. Could any of you guys help me out?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^For most things you don't need to worry about authenticity. Hermes ties, yes, but even then rarely.

A couple of ties I found yesterday.

[​IMG]

6. DoTheGrownup

DoTheGrownup Senior member

I found most of these ties at thrift stores at the beginning of the month - 2 Zegna, 1 YSL, 2 Lanvin, 1 PRL, 1 Christian Dior, and 1 Harry Rosen. I was happy with them all at first, but I'm having doubts with whether or not they're authentic. Could any of you guys help me out?

I would be almost certain that they are all "authentic", but that doesn't mean they are worth anything. Don't get excited for YSL, Dior, or Lanvin unless you know what you are looking for. All of these brands went through some really low times in terms of menswear, and have only recently been revived.

The Zegna ties are older, but are still nice ties in my opinion.

^For most things you don't need to worry about authenticity. Hermes ties, yes, but even then rarely.

I looked at a Ricci shirt at NMLC today. I had never handled one in person before. It was $350 at 50% of retail. How a shirt could be worth $700 is beyond me.

7. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^That's the first Ricci item I've ever thrifted, and the only one I remember seeing. When I checked the retail prices online I was a bit shocked at the prices, too, and I'm generally pretty immune to ridiculous retail prices by now.

8. krspdla

krspdla Senior member

Alright thanks a lot, I'm not so much worried about whether they're worth a lot, as I'll be keeping them all for my own use. I was just curious

I really like those ties Alan, I see Ricci often but they're all ridiculously wide, something like 4' +

9. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

[​IMG]

Wow - those are gorgeous ties, Alan! Also, congrats on your first Ricci purchase. Those newer Ricci ties are amazing!

Hit a couple stores today. Found another Adrian Jules piece today. This time, a sportcoat (I think) made for a different person. Still, it's only a few years old (made in 2007). Black/gray glenplaid with a subtle purple windowpane check. Ticket pocket. Side vented. Loads of handwork and pick-stitching. Sadly, it's about a size too big for me and has surgeon's cuffs. [​IMG]

Also found a pair of Incotex for Zegna trousers and a beautful Polo RL corduroy jacket. The polo jacket was 1/2 off today as part of their Winter Clothing Sale. $4 down from $8! [​IMG] Also snagged another Ben Silver casual button-down.

If anyone is interested in the Adrian Jules sportcoat, it's about a 46 L.

Adrian Jules:

[​IMG]

Polo:

[​IMG]

10. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

^That Polo coat is very cool.

11. JMayle

JMayle Well-Known Member

First post, but I've been reading for a while. Also I apologize for pic quality, all I have is my blackberry and it's hard to photograph things with such a bad camera. Found these today: Dolcepunta 7 fold [​IMG] and a black Coach belt, which I didn't take a pic of. I also found this wild number a few weeks ago, probably about 30" square silk RL pheasant scarf. I don't know much about it, all the tags have been removed, the only way I knew it was RL is because it's woven into the fabric under one of the birds. [​IMG]

12. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Is sulka a good brand for suiting?

Cheers

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Sulka is a great label in general. Deets on your find?

14. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Found a tan sulka sc but it had a small moth hole

found a really nice rlbl grey glen plaid w hint of lavender with double vents and ticket pockets. 44L. Small moth hole on bottom rear of jacket. Can barely tell.

Florsheims imperials good?

15. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I bought a tie (John Henry) and a pair of flat front cavalry twill pants by LL Bean. Both 100% wool and solid charcoal.

I passed up 2 sport coats and 3 suits that were all Alan Flusser for Saks. They were all fully canvassed and had working cuffs, but the coats had about 19" sleeves and the pants were probably about 40W X 26L. There was also a pair of Oxxford pants from the same donor.

I've included a picture of my favorite find so far: a pair of vintage Lee Kee wingtips that fit perfectly.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.