The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

Nothing too crazy over the last little while.

I managed to find a pair of LL Bean boots in my size, as well as a nice OCBD LL Bean shirt last week. Yesterday I came across 2 identical pairs of brown longwings also in my size for $10 each.

2. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

Anyone heard of bragano shoes? It's an Italian

3. rayxlui

rayxlui Senior member

Picked up another Brioni jacket. Probably orphaned, but it's gray and has blazer potential. Too bad it's a 42C [​IMG]. Every Brioni I've picked up was a size too large or too small.

4. RedRaider

RedRaider Well-Known Member

Here are the vintage Florsheim's I picked up yesterday for $3.50. Put some new laces, insoles and polish and they look darn good. May need new soles in a few months, but for the price...not too bad. FYI they are a nice cordovan color, not brown as they may appear: [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. amadar

amadar Senior member

Really cool find today. I normally don't look for shoes that often, as, to be honest, I often don't know what to look for. However, I knew well enough that Alden's in good shape are a definite pick-up.....and I figured even if they didn't turn out to be the shoe trees that came inside them would justify the $15 I paid [​IMG] Here are a couple quick pics (straight from the store, I haven't had a chance to polish em up.) One question....are these shell? I have no idea how to tell and hope you guys could help verify. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. CasmirRadon

CasmirRadon Senior member

Very nice find Amadar. I just last week sold a pair in that model in calfskin for 177+shipping on ebay. Can't tell from your pics if they are Shell or not. Could go both ways. To tell check how they feel compared to a pair of calfskin shoes you have. Shell feels very different (not a subtle distinction only for experts), it should feel considerably heavier, thicker, and more plasticky. Also, take out the shoe trees (nice find on those too!) and bend the shoes a little at the vamp, does the leather bend in a single bended wave, or does it have tiny microcreases throughout? Shell in the first case, calfskin in the second. Either way, it is a testement to how little wear they have that I can't tell just from the pics. It is one of these 2 models http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=51 http://www.aldenshop.com/DrawOneShoe.asp?CategoryID=30

7. amadar

amadar Senior member

^^^^ Thanks! According to the "bend" test above, they would appear to be shell as there are absolutely no microcreases. [​IMG] And thank you for posting those links. The numbers on the inside of the shoe match up with the first linked shoe.....in dark burgundy shell! Funny because I thought they were black until now.....

8. CasmirRadon

Interestingly the Alden shell loafers I've had are always a lot darker in color than the laceups I've had.

Still, the real test is to wait and look at them in direct sunlight. That's really where the color of shell really shines IMO.

9. Daseinflaw

Daseinflaw Senior member

Spent most of the day thrifting today. My haul:

Zegna Suede Shoes - 15
    Allen Edmonds Yale Suedes - New - 30
    DSquared Semibrogue Wingtips - 20
    Burberry Shorts - 8
    Giorgio Armani Tie - 3
    Cremieux 7-Fold
    Ted Baker Trousers - 7.5
    Gucci Dress Shirt - 7.5
    Thomas Pink Shirt - 3
    Etro Shirt - 3
    Zegna Shirt - 3
    Boss Shirt - 3
    Boss Shirt - 3
    Brioni Shirt - 7
    Borelli Shirt - 7
    Pendleton Silk Shirt 2.5
    New Gucci Shirt - 5
    New Gucci Shirt - 5
    Canali Shirt -5
    Erreghe Belt - 4

When I see things like this, my jaw drops and I must wonder--where the hell do you guys shop? I've been thrifting for ages in my area (granted it's in a medium-size town) and no luck whatsoever.

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Senior member

1 D&G brown purse for my mom. Saw it on eBay for 1500! I brought it to my ex and she said
    it's for sure a real one.

11. mistermidwester

mistermidwester Senior member

I went to four stores this afternoon. It went like this...

1st: Bust
    2nd: Bust

After the first two busts, I was in the car thinking positive thoughts. C'mon man, hold it together!

3rd: 2 Zegna ties ($1.99 each) and a couple beautiful vintage Robert Talbott repp stripe ties ($1.99 each).

Okay, feeling better. At least today isn't a total bust...

4th: 4 absolutely amazing vintage Brooks Brothers (black tag with white, non-script font) ties ($1.99 each), a vintage Pendleton tweed newsboy hat, and the kicker...

A 1950's black silk velvet jacket in minty mint condition that effing fits me. It's so beautiful that I about wept a little when I slipped it on and it fit. [​IMG]

12. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Amadar...those Aldens are definitely shell. Nice find!

13. CasmirRadon

Good to hear about a nice day k4lnamja, some great finds there. I got the itch tonight and quickly hopped by a nearby store tonight on my break. I found a few things, but nothing else is really worth mentioning when you find a Bijan 100% cashmere navy blazer with white MOP buttons. In quite good (but not mint) condition, which is especially notable since the date on the fabric tag is 1973. Second Bijan in two weeks, and at a different store that is obviously using the same distribution center. Tore the rest of the rack apart and that was it. too bad it's one size too big for me. Still, ought to bring in more money then I'll get all day from my actual job today (yeah, not very highly paid over here).

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ Wow! I've only came across one Bijan thing before and it was Made in Mexico, so it must have been a fake or a licensed thing. Two real Bijan pieces in two weeks is insane! Went thrifting today. Hit 4 stores and 3 of them were a bust. Found a nice Borrelli for Neiman Marcus shirt at the last one, but it had an iron-on cloth tag on the collar. Anyone have an idea on how to remove these damn things? Also, at the first shop my heart skipped a beat when among a bunch of Van Heusens and Geoffery Beenes was what I thought was a Brioni. Boy was I disappoined when I picked it out the double check. WTF is this?! [​IMG]

15. amadar

amadar Senior member

^^^^^^^^^Nataku, I saw this exact label a few weeks ago! I remember glancing over it and getting so excited, then when I touched the shirt thought to myself "this is pretty shitty fabric for a Brioni"......thats when I took a second look at the label. Too funny.....that script is pretty spot on though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.