• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, you learned something? congratulations!
fing02[1].gif

You will need to learn more if you want to have valid opinions on what constitutes a fail.

Failure to tell the difference between a orphan and a s/c? = FAIL.

Don't worry, you will understand with time.
smile.gif

Edit: @gringodaddy : My "friends" are in this thread, the one where members have class, style, and no set way to dress. here is where the gents be at.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fistbump.gif

Last edited:

ReubenR

Reaction score
Let's learn what makes an s/c different :

1. Patch pockets...

2. if "Casual", a un-structured and un-lined construction

3. A too-crazy for a whole- suit pattern, and informal buttons.

These are far from absolute. I've seen several beautiful suits with patch pockets, all of my summer suits are lined about that much and about half of my suits are much less structured than that. Also, I own several suits with much wilder fabric selections than that. Some I wear as suits, because they're not too crazy, like a beautiful shadow-striped southwick tweed, others, like my large-scale gingham summer suit or the one shown below, are too much for even me to wear together.

Found these pants on eBay, and not at prices that would qualify it as an ethrift, but just being able to reunite these two orphans makes this worthy of sharing. The jacket was bought, say, six months ago and the pants have yet to arrive but were purchased yesterday, and they're from opposite sides of the country, but the maker and the name listed as the original client match up:

Last edited:

futuremyth

Reaction score
These are far from absolute. I've seen several beautiful suits with patch pockets, all of my summer suits are lined about that much and about half of my suits are much less structured than that. Also, I own several suits with much wilder fabric selections than that. Some I wear as suits, because they're not too crazy, like a beautiful shadow-striped southwick tweed, others, like my large-scale gingham summer suit or the one shown below, are too much for even me to wear together.

Found these pants on eBay, and not at prices that would qualify it as an ethrift, but just being able to reunite these two orphans makes this worthy of sharing. The jacket was bought, say, six months ago and the pants have yet to arrive but were purchased yesterday, and they're from opposite sides of the country, but the maker and the name listed as the original client match up:

Phenomenal. The odds are pretty slim on that, congrats!

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wait, you reunited an orphan on the internet from two different sellers? That is one of the greatest things this thread has ever produced.
Holy **** this thread is dripping with malice
Seriously. Would you guys please stop making me block you? Some of you have sick finds when you're not bickering like schoolchildren.

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm trying to decide if that's the most beautiful suit I've ever seen, or the ugliest. Either way, I don't think I have the nads to pull that off. More power to ya!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I discovered the secret to not behaving like an asshole...

I got 11.5 hours of sleep last night. Best. Thing. Ever.

ReubenR

Reaction score
Phenomenal. The odds are pretty slim on that, congrats!

Quote: Quote:
TBH, I'm not sure if I should be congratulated on this. I get the feeling this may be one of those ancient artifacts broken up and separated for the good of humanity. If I find the last piece, a matching vest, and wear all three together, what are the odds I'll be bestowed with limitless power by the ancient and unknowable gods of thrifting?

Not only was this from two different sellers, on different sides of the country, six months apart, but it was two different sites entirely. The pants are from ebay, but the jacket is from some random site I'd never heard of before that was even worse to navigate than etsy.

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh, you learned something? congratulations!
fing02[1].gif

You will need to learn more if you want to have valid opinions on what constitutes a fail.

Failure to tell the difference between a orphan and a s/c? = FAIL.

Don't worry, you will understand with time.
smile.gif

Edit: @gringodaddy : My "friends" are in this thread, the one where members have class, style, and no set way to dress. here is where the gents be at.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
fistbump.gif

There goes that laughably condescending attitude! Get one of your classy friends to publicly announce they like your fit, and your style in general. Because I've only seen universal ridicule.

size 38R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads