• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Guy from Shanghai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Came across this Luciano Barbera suit:

p1010743bz1.jpg

p1010746xe7.jpg

Had to pay an outrageous $35 for it, but I bit the bullet. It needs some alterations, but ought to work for me, I think.

Wow, I love this LB suit. Nicely done!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also came across the first T&A shirt I've found that fit me. I love that it has the three button cuffs:

I think they all have those, unless they are french cuffs. Every T&A shirt I have has 3 button cuffs. I do like the fit though, pity they are so god-awful expensive or I'd haev more.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Guy from Shanghai
Wow, I love this LB suit. Nicely done!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Where are you finding all fo this great stuff? Certainly not the Goodwill?!?!?

pejsek

Reaction score
Great find on the Barbera suit, Alan. I really like the dark red stripe--makes it both somber and playful. According to the A Harris guide, I believe the maker would be Partenopea.
btw, I think this is a good example of how to do pattern matching on stripes. It's just careful enough to match at the key points (such as where the arm comes next to the body) without boxing you in with the kind of rigid symmetry that can never be pleasing.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Great find on the Barbera suit, Alan. I really like the dark red stripe--makes it both somber and playful. According to the A Harris guide, I believe the maker would be Partenopea.

Thanks, pejsek. I was really pleased with this one.

Originally Posted by MrDaniels
Where are you finding all fo this great stuff? Certainly not the Goodwill?!?!?

It did not come from Goodwill (some things do!), but rather an 'off-brand' thrift shop on one of my recent travels. The shop also yielded a vintage silk paisley cummerbund from Brooks, but really nothing else of value in the whole place. Who knows how that suit got there, but despite their exhorbitant pricing I was glad to take it off their hands.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
From an actual Goodwill (in honor of MrDaniels) for $5, a 'Marcus' sportcoat by Martin Greenfield. It's a winter weight, so won't see use for a few months. Anybody know what these things went for?

p1010785xa6.jpg

p1010787re2.jpg

jml90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VMan
PICT0006.jpg

The ultimate go-to-hell/miserly trad tie from Chipp.

I'm an idiot, I looked at that for about a minute and thought "Humbug, Bah?".
baldy[1].gif

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From an actual Goodwill (in honor of MrDaniels) for $5, a 'Marcus' sportcoat by Martin Greenfield. It's a winter weight, so won't see use for a few months. Anybody know what these things went for?

Sometimes one can have good luck at the Upper East Side thrift shops here in NYC....those 10021 folks just do not have a concept of selling top-quality on eBay!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
I think they all have those, unless they are french cuffs. Every T&A shirt I have has 3 button cuffs. I do like the fit though, pity they are so god-awful expensive or I'd haev more.

I have a few single button cuffs

pejsek

Reaction score
Yes. The three-button cuff is certainly one of the signature details of a T&A rtw shirt. But I have seen (and worn) one and two as well (but never four or more). I'll admit to liking the three-button model--even when it seems fairly determined to announce its pedigree (as is the case with Alan's shirt in that bold and flamboyant check). I don't recognize the authority or jurisdiction of the good taste police (always struggling in the direction of a crushing and mean austerity).

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been doing OK over the last few weeks. I have found:

Pure cashmere Paul Smith crew-neck sweater
Canali jacket
Joseph Abboud silk/linen slacks
Arthur Galan jacket that fits my son real well (AG is an Australian label, fused stuff, but nice enough for a teenager)
Sterling silver Art Deco cufflinks with Egyptian design
Vintage MOP stud and cufflink set
Hugo Boss jacket
Gant shirt - again for my son
Geoffrey Beene casual shirt - son again.
CCC rugby top
Two plain blue Ermenegildo Zegna business shirts.

All that would have cost me about $A90.

I also bought a fake Cartier ladies' watch. Oh well.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by California Dreamer
I have been doing OK over the last few weeks. I have found:

Canali jacket

Canali jacket! What a great find...

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
Yes. The three-button cuff is certainly one of the signature details of a T&A rtw shirt. But I have seen (and worn) one and two as well (but never four or more). I'll admit to liking the three-button model--even when it seems fairly determined to announce its pedigree (as is the case with Alan's shirt in that bold and flamboyant check). I don't recognize the authority or jurisdiction of the good taste police (always struggling in the direction of a crushing and mean austerity).

Interesting, I have never seen those. I think I would actually prefer the single or two button closure, but have never seen them at NM here in Atlanta. Maybe I am not looking hard enough. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads