1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

Savers, a discount store in West Roxbury/Dedham MA had a Labor day sale with all "used " merchandise discounted 50% .

I found two near new Paul Stuart suits sized 41L . One was slate grey flannel with off white chalk stripes. The other was Navy with a silver pin stripe. I brought along my son who told me he was interested in getting additional suits for variety at church services. The jackets and pants need minimal altering for him. They were $7 each with the discount.

Lightening struck for an unprecedented fourth time in four weeks for me as I once again lucked into some tasteful similarly sized gentleman's former wardrobe. I found four nice Tom james suits that fit me so well that I only need to take in the waist 1.5 inches. I took two of them, a solid navy and another that is olive with subtle striping. I'm a 48L and can actually get by without alterions but I want no absolutely no question regarding the fit. $12 each with the discount.

Lastly I purchased a new deadstock pair of black Hanover pebble grained double soled longwings in 9D whose sturdiness surprisingly far surpasses the many Florsheim Royal imperials I've owned and sold. They still have the original sticker from their original place of sale. I'll be selling them soon. They were $5.

I have never paid close attention to Paul Stuart suits and had not heard of them prior to discovering SF. Do they compare or are they of higher quality than labels I own and are familiar with such as Versace, Canali, Boss, Armani, mani, Hart shaffner and Marx, Corneliani, Zegna?

Thanks for your attention and keep on thrifting![​IMG]

2. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

Also from this weekends thrifting...now that I've cleaned them up a bit. These are a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperials size 8E. Anyone have guess how old they are?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. jml90

jml90 Senior member

Teacher, Teacher?

4. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

I have never paid close attention to Paul Stuart suits and had not heard of them prior to discovering SF. Do they compare or are they of higher quality than labels I own and are familiar with such as Versace, Canali, Boss, Armani, mani, Hart shaffner and Marx, Corneliani, Zegna?

If they were made in Canada then they should be Samuelsohns, and very nice suits. My PS Samuelsohns are among my favorites. They rank construction wise in the same neighborhood as Hickey-Freeman, fully canvassed, etc. If you do a search there's a thread on a Samuelsohn factory tour (or was that at Ask Andy?).

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

If they were made in Canada then they should be Samuelsohns, and very nice suits. My PS Samuelsohns are among my favorites. They rank construction wise in the same neighborhood as Hickey-Freeman, fully canvassed, etc. If you do a search there's a thread on a Samuelsohn factory tour (or was that at Ask Andy?).
    I think my fingers are getting more discerning. I was wading through a bunch of junk sportcoats when my fingers felt something soft and supple and I stopped. Label read Samuelsohns, tagged at $3.50. Didn't know who they were but found it was 90% wool 10% cashmere , felt very nice, could feel the canvas, unfortunately a 42R. [​IMG] I knew they were good!

6. Staatsoper

Staatsoper Senior member

Also from this weekends thrifting...now that I've cleaned them up a bit. These are a pair of Florsheim Royal Imperials size 8E. Anyone have guess how old they are?
    Had an identical pair as a senior in high school, 1969-70. I frequently wore them to class with a well-worn Brooks Brothers tweed blazer, faded cords, button-down shirt, Irish poplin striped tie and a tweed driver's cap. Could never figure out why all the girls preferred the athletes, or counter-culture types in rock bands...hmmmmm....ah, memories.

7. usaa

usaa Active Member

I think my fingers are getting more discerning. I was wading through a bunch of junk sportcoats when my fingers felt something soft and supple and I stopped. Label read Samuelsohns, tagged at $3.50. Didn't know who they were but found it was 90% wool 10% cashmere , felt very nice, could feel the canvas, unfortunately a 42R. [​IMG] I knew they were good!

Does that jacket still need a proper home? I just might be able to help you place it.

8. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Does that jacket still need a proper home? I just might be able to help you place it.
    I passed on it because I'm a 38R. It was, if I recall, a brown 2 button SB 42R. If I can find it again it would be $7 though because the 50% off sale is over. I see that is how much you paid total for some BB, Oxxford, Paul Stuart coats! If you see any 38R's like that, I know I'd take them off your hands. I can't find anything around here and it's getting frustrating after reading some of the stuff you guys haul in.

9. usaa

usaa Active Member

Just as well I suppose...my wife would probably have a heart attack if I brought another jacket into our tiny apartment, and rightfully so. In fact, I bought a jacket for buttons today and had to be careful to make a preemptory explanation that I would be chucking the garment itself. Thanks for the kind offer though.
    I will be sure to keep an eye out for 38R - if you're interested, pm me the sort of thing you're after and if I encounter anything of quality I'll pick it up for you. My $7 spree was definitely not a standard day at the thrift store, but I usually come across some good stuff that I leave behind since it doesn't fit me or isn't really worth the trouble of flipping.

10. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

today

l'aiglon eelskin belt. rather worn but still cool as hell.

SQ seiko watch 2$. not a super fancy model. i think its broken now that i've had a look at it. that wrist band is worth more than that though. any tips on how to get this thing checked out without spending too much $

white dior shirt(for my sister)

ralph lauren chino shorts

oiltan full grain leather belt from uruguay. it think it might be made out of cayman or something. no label but quality looks great. if its fake cayman its a very convincing job.

a couple levi's western shirts

a couple crap shirts that i may now discard.

total was 25$. it was a half off day.

11. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Not much to brag about but I found a womens Brooks Brothers SB wool coat for $7, looks mint.

A dry clean and it should make a beautiful present. I'd guess it retails for $5-600.

12. J'aimelescravates

J'aimelescravates Senior member

Well after reading this thread I felt inspired to go check out my local store's offerings. It was discouraging to say the least. I passed on a Borrelli suit, an Oxxford tweed jacket, an Aquascutum trench, a sea green and purple Charvet button up, two Thomas Pink (sea island quality) button up shirts in some really exceptional colors. I passed on the old Ferragamo loafers and the great many Brooks Brothers and Hugo Boss black label shirts. I passed on the Giorgio Armani dress slacks and the Zanella trousers. I passed on two Zegna suits on single breasted the other double. They were all too big, too worn, too stained or too old. I left with a Robert Ludlum book. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know by what I found that these things are out there, especially here in Fort Lauderdale. I guess I'll try again next week when they've had some time to cycle through a few "putting out of the new stuff" periods. Anyone else have similar experiences and what did you do, if anything, when you found something worth purchasing?

13. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Well after reading this thread I felt inspired to go check out my local store's offerings. It was discouraging to say the least. I passed on a Borrelli suit, an Oxford tweed jacket, an Aquascutum trench, a sea green and purple Charvet button up, two Thomas Pink (sea island quality) button up shirts in some really exceptional colors. I passed on the old Ferragamo loafers and the great many Brooks Brothers and Hugo Boss black label shirts. I passed on the Giorgio Armani dress slacks and the Zanella trousers. I passed on two Zegna suits on single breasted the other double. They were all too big, too worn, too stained or too old. I left with a Robert Ludlum book. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know by what I found that these things are out there, especially here in Fort Lauderdale. I guess I'll try again next week when they've had some time to cycle through a few "putting out of the new stuff" periods. Anyone else have similar experiences and what did you do, if anything, when you found something worth purchasing?

Were any of those 46L or 48L ?

14. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

the fact that all those things were there, although not in your size, is a good sign.

Just go every week or so, see what you can see.

15. Mr T

Mr T Senior member

In the style wasteland of San Antonio I managed to score a few items in the past month. NWT Brioni and Zegna ties for 50 cents each, a pair of black calf Alden long wings for 2 dollars (beaten but starting to recondition nicely - I will likely replace inferior resole w/ rubber and wear during rain), and a borelli white w/blue stripe (contrasting collar) shirt. Tonight I purchased 2 vintage sport jackets by Fox Knapp and Pendleton - full canvass and needing only slight sleeve shortening. I am not familiar with these manufacturers but the quality seems adequate.

16. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today at Goodwill I bought a wonderful tweed suit by Abercrombie & Fitch, dated 1959. The coat's my size, but I was so excited I didn't even pull out the pants. We'll see when I get home. Just the most spectacularly beautiful suit.

17. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Today at Goodwill I bought a wonderful tweed suit by Abercrombie & Fitch, dated 1959. The coat's my size, but I was so excited I didn't even pull out the pants. We'll see when I get home. Just the most spectacularly beautiful suit.

That's a great find. I found an old A&F Oxxford suit one time. The jacket was in gorgeous shape, but, alas, the trousers were not. It hurt me to walk away from it.

18. VMan

VMan Senior member

[​IMG]

I ended up putting this tie on Ebay last week and it sold for $83.

19. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

did some more thrifting today

i bought some old penguin, polo, and lacoste polos . a pair of polo dress shorts. some old brooks brothers shirts including a really nice irish linen shirt that fit perfectly.

by accident i bought a "burberrys of london" shirt. i think the label should have been just "burberry".

so what's the deal with "burberrys of london"? i guess its some kind of knock-off?

the buttons were real mother of pearl and everything seemed proper.

20. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

did some more thrifting today

i bought some old penguin, polo, and lacoste polos . a pair of polo dress shorts. some old brooks brothers shirts including a really nice irish linen shirt that fit perfectly.

by accident i bought a "burberrys of london" shirt. i think the label should have been just "burberry".

so what's the deal with "burberrys of london"? i guess its some kind of knock-off?

the buttons were real mother of pearl and everything seemed proper.

The older burberry had burberrys. You are ok, nice finds.
    Did you lick/kiss the mother of pearl buttons?[​IMG]

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.