• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
The creasing on the right shoe (as worn, left in view) looks like calf, but the creasing on the left (right in view) does look more like shell. Can you post a closer view of the creasing on the vamps and also the lace holes?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this pic help? Here's what I thought so far... Cordo Yes: -stamped on both soles -relatively low creasing for how old it looks (guessing 10 years?) -Walk Over is a known brand, kind of like an old Nunn Bush, I can't imagine them stamping it incorrectly Cordo No: -looks mad shiny -doesn't say "Genuine SHELL Cordovan" -doesn't have that deep Soul Glow like some Aldens I have seen
cordo3.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I agree with Alan - the one looks like calf and the other looks like cordo, although in the very closeup it also looks like calf to me.

Wear them around, see if any waxy stuff comes up in the creases.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Perhaps they are just horse-hide

+1. I'm no expert, but that's exactly what I thought.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
That's possible. I saw that the ebay seller of the Robert Talbott horsehide belts went to great lengths to explain that "cordovan" was horsehide as opposed to "shell cordovan", which is, well, shell cordovan. I'd never heard "cordovan" used that way before, but perhaps it's valid.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hugo Orange jeans. EURO 55. (hemming included)

dsc00002mediumtg1.jpg

White linen Mexx shirt. EURO 3,95.
Was on sale, so 30% off. I got it for 50% off and I still had some points saved on my card, I paid 3,95 for it. I suppose those points equal money, so then I would've gotten it for 25. Not bad either.

dsc00003mediumod3.jpg

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by distinctive
Kas
55 euros at a thrift store?...doesn't sound very thrifty to me.

Especially for a pair of Hugo jeans.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I picked up some white dress shirts, a couple of Robert Talbotts (one USA made) and a Gitman private label for a local higher end men's shop. None are spectacular, but ought to be good workhorse shirts.

I also got a torso mannequin for suit and sportcoat display when I sell stuff. It's in nice shape, and pretty clearly came from a department store or men's store. I've been hoping to come across something like it for awhile. It cost me $20 (was 50% off today). How much do those things generally go for?

suitformic8.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha that torso is very cool. $20 sounds good but i have no idea, I'm guessing there are many different price points.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm sure so. Just the shipping on something like that would be more than I'd want to pay, though.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I picked up some white dress shirts, a couple of Robert Talbotts (one USA made) and a Gitman private label for a local higher end men's shop. None are spectacular, but ought to be good workhorse shirts.

I also got a torso mannequin for suit and sportcoat display when I sell stuff. It's in nice shape, and pretty clearly came from a department store or men's store. I've been hoping to come across something like it for awhile. It cost me $20 (was 50% off today). How much do those things generally go for?

That looks very similar to the one I have. Mannequins like this go for at least $30 + shipping (another $20) on eBay nowadays. I don't know the going prices for them during B&M stores' close-down/moving sales, but $20 is a really good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads