1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The world would be a better place if more people took this approach, that is for sure. Unfortunately my travels take me down darker and more complicated roads, and sorry to spoil this composition of pure humility, selflessness, and graciousness with something foul, and I have a feeling you weren't really addressing my specific situation when you were discussing spreading the wealth of happiness and if your neighbor is happy then so are you.....but with all that said, "What he eat, don't make me shit" - Jigga .... but I too go out of my way to try and help fellow thread members and some can vouch that I have indeed done so. I have searched inventory, taken measurements, given advice, tried to find sizes hard sizes on items they were having trouble with. I'm a nice guy, and a generous one as well. I am just really good at shoving my foot deep down my mouth and making myself sound like a pretentious jerkoff or as of late, Patrick Bateman... so any of these acts are just overshadowed...I was doing good for a while, just chillin and postin finds, so Ima just revert back to what I'm good at...

What I'm Good At

Everything is available unless otherwise noted

C&J sz 10
    [​IMG]

Fuckin ties...take them...except for the vintage FO-SACE
    [​IMG]

"I got pets too, minds are dead" .... and brand new nice coach belt
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Mezlan Leather Weave with Croc Toe I believe size 9 or 9.5 available
    [​IMG]

Carroll & Co Navy Blue 100% Camel Hair Brass Buttons
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

APC Black Denim Shacket
    [​IMG]

YSL Rive Gauche Silk Leopard Scarf 30x70 Tom Ford Rive Gauche
    [​IMG]

Anyone, any help on this. Its silk and its hand rolled, can't figure out if its someone gaudy like Versace or Celine or Chanel or just a no name with an outrageously opulent design
    [​IMG]

EZ... e-thrift
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

EZ Staple Navy Blue Trofeo... I always forget how nice that trofeo wool is, I love this thing, still available though
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Unbelievable .... Wool Coat by a company named Barren-Anderssen... unbelievable part, Union tag dates it to the 50's and its never been worn. Both of those tags may not look it because of the flash, but they are completely stock white, untouched, no wear in or on the fabric, no shape to the garment like its been worn. 65 year old beautifully made overcoat in brand new condition.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hated buying this, loving what eBay is doing with it... Skeet 2.0
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Boutique Line.... That's that good good
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Lord West Single Button Tuxedo Top in pristine condition, mid to late 60s
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably the most "Pimp" attire I have ever purchased. I believe its a smoking jacket, Entire robe is in velvet with a giant silk Shawl collar with matching cuffs, just velvet waist belt for closure. By Bullock and Jones, made in USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Vintage Ted Lapidus Navy Blue DB wool twill blazer with TL buttons. All in tact, none missing, excellent condition. Unfortunate it isn't boutique line but vintage Diffusion isn't horrible
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Brown Tweed by Caruso for RLBL 2 Button Blazer... brand new with fabric content and size tag still attached... Thanks Linda
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And last but not least, the nights special guests
    [​IMG]

BONUS goodies/fodder/stuff/whatever

Was given both these pairs of shoes a week ago and never posted. Then felt like free shoes may somehow work there way through the subtext of qualification for this page, so I thought I'd give em a post. This guy, family friend, not only does this guy have Kiton Vicunas and more 100% Kiton Cashmere Suits than I bother to count, he's got just about every tie Tom Ford Has ever come out with and about 20 pairs of Tom Ford shoes, just chillin in his closet... but that's nothing...he has a bespoke Super 180s I believe by Scabal, that has Diamonds woven into it. Literally has a suit made of Diamonds. His closet is larger than most rooms, it was the most overwhelming shit I've ever walked into, had to just sit and take it all in. It's so frustrating cuz he recycles like crazy and loves Zegna as do I except for some reason, he wears the same size jacket as me, but wears longs...so I've gotten Zegna Coutures and Pure Cashmeres and can't wear them cuz I'm 6 feet and a 32.5 inch length looks ridiculous...guess its old rich man steeze...ebay likes the way they fit...anyway.....I believe these are both limited editions/runs...Anyways, they're gorgeous, but they are only 10s, so same as with the stuff above, goes for these.

Battistoni

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silvano Sassetti x Bergdorf Goodman (these are actually way more gorgeous than the pictures depict. The upper suede is much darker, matching the pebble grain leather on the vamp, that seamlessly goes into a sleek burnished toe with a medallion brogue tip.. limited editions.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
    10 people like this.
  2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. dappercanadian

dappercanadian Senior member

^ I'm guessing on the smoking coat? If it's for those Battistonis, [​IMG]

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Am I that obvious? :lol:

3 people like this.
  5. Thrift Vader

Thrift Vader Forum Mechanic

@Jompso . Good to see you get back in the game. [​IMG] Awesome swag post.
    sorry to mislead you...
    I jest, i am in no need of ties. but would love to lock horns with another thrifter who means business. sure, mocktail for you, and a beer with shots for me.

so, Mrs vader says to me. "is this card yours??" i said Gimme!!! in haste to open a box i had missed it. and it is something special.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A handwritten christmas card. from another member of this thread. to get a card from a friend you've never met? it makes you feel special. And my wife has accepted his family as friends we can send swag to. because we see plenty of tiny suits and sw&d. keep an eye on your mailman in january. [​IMG]
    This thread needs to see more of the goodness that members have to offer. it's the second one for me this year,(Thankyou also @barrelntrigger ) and amongst all the drama's? this is why i'm still here. you guys rock!!!!!!

6 people like this.
  6. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Those shoes won't fit you.

But they will fit me.

Have mercy on me, sir.

7. dappercanadian

Nope, too small for you. I wouldn't bother.

8. eazye

eazye Senior member

Whats the deal with that Pierre Cardin? I passed on a very similar one the other day. The tag said Boutique Line, but it also said Designed in Paris, Made in France. Quality left I lot to be desired for what I thought was supposed to be his top of the line stuff.

9. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

The line is from the 60s and 70s so its gonna be hit or miss. Some will be completely fried from the cleaners, some damaged and some mistreated or not cared for properly. Vintage suiting is a difficult field to be involved in because you have to deal with all the pitfalls you deal with with modern suiting, just add 3 decades of wear and tear, or hopefully lack there of. It was just their top tier line, being one of the first parisian couture designers to make ready to wear for men. As much as I do enjoy finding a piece of fashion history, I shall also enjoy the monetary compensation from selling this collectors item.

10. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

I'd just like to say...buying off ebay doesn't equal e-thrift and basted pockets doesn't equal NWOT.

Thank you for your time.

4 people like this.
  11. dappercanadian

Hey @Jompso , I know you're more into the capitalism side of things you should check out this subreddit: www.reddit.com/r/flipping
    This is not to push you away from this thread, more of a "this might interest you" thing. The knowledge in here when it comes to clothing is completely unrivaled, but if you're interested in other markets while you're at a thrift store there are some good nuggets of info in /r/flipping.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

I was thinking the same exact thing....also tags on the inside of jackets re not always removed, hell some people leave the basting thread on the vents because they dont know any better. Does not mean NWOT

13. dappercanadian

Dude, some people don't even take the tags off of the sleeves of jackets. I saw an otherwise well-dressed gentleman at a restaurant friday night and his SC still had the Samuelsohn tag on the sleeve. I wanted to tell him but he was with his entire family so I decided against it.

2 people like this.
  14. FlorianQC

FlorianQC Senior member

What is this land you talk about where people leave their sleeves tags??? [​IMG][​IMG]

15. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Thanks for the tip and maybe I will. Yea im a little torn at times here because I love fashion and clothes more then anything else, but part of my life is having to part with it. This thread is more about the thrill of the hunt, the find, and the unveiling, which im all about. But yea for more business related matters I should go elsewhere. I have books based on decades, identifiers, how to date things, the stores and who made for what and whats a rare find and whats not. My dedication to that honing the all around knowledge is a huge step of the business and since you guys have such vastly different backgrounds and specialty niches in your thrifting, the knowledge obtained, added to what I get on my own, its quite the well rounded education. I came in thinking I had it all covered but the last few months have just scratched the surface and i've been spending my free time digging deeper beneath those surface scratches to truly know value and how to flip these goods not to mention constantly tracking items. I just have a hard time going to that other site. Quite frankly, it just fuckin sucks compared to this group here, I just gotta bit my tongue at times. Plus there are post a million posts that read like "should I sell my iphone 4?" ...its as if someone took what we have here riddled it with me constantly talking about making money off flips, asking the dumbest questions, then taking a giant fucking shit on it....but maybe Im not looking at the right stuff.

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Senior member

EDIT: I got knocked out [​IMG]

17. eazye

eazye Senior member

Yea, the one I found was a pass. It was actually in real good shape, it just felt like one of those cheap cardboardy 70's sport coats.

18. dappercanadian

No, I totally agree, there's a bunch of idiots over there and you have to actually sift through find the quality posts. I just meant if you ever planned on expanding beyond fashion, it's a great resource for other shit like boardgames, video games, furniture, instruments, electronics, audio equipment, art work, etc. Again, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, rivals this thread when it comes to clothing knowledge, but if you're in it for the $$ and the hunt, why not expand beyond clothing? Thrift stores are huge, might save you some gas money [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Senior member

Oh hai, RLPL x chester barrie 50/50 cashmere silk w/baller ass ticket pocket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9 people like this.
  20. Jompso

Jompso Senior member

Oh, it will never go beyond fashion for me. This is just my first step, learning to start and run and finance my own business...which also happens to be my first real job..so the learning curb has fucking sucked. I don't know where it will go from here, its only been 6 months, brick and mortar maybe, rival the shops who stock garbage and charge ebay plus 10%, who knows? I would like to find someone that I could partner with, it would make things a lot less hectic. And yea it would allow me to branch out. Right now I'm in the process of teaching myself everything I didn't learn at fashion school and becoming as specialized as possible, but if I had a small brick and mortar, I'd definitely want it to have a modern habadasher type of vibe,and a broader knowledge of thrift store goodies would definitely come in handy. Already have my wholesale license so I'm ready for whatever comes, but for me, menswear will always be the main focus

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.