• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate when people make excuses for not being successful. Each area has it faults, but also it's own strengths. There isn't always gold to be found, but you can still make a lot of money from silver and copper; you just have to do more digging. I like seeing Wes working the tweeds and yourself working the sportswear.

I didn't say I wasn't successful. I haven't achieved the level of the Captain yet, but I'm getting there. My aim is total domination.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Wes has an ideal situation for this biz - he's located in the "Tweed Belt", has access to several well-established metropolitan areas to draw on, and most importantly has an understanding spouse that indulges what probably seemed like a crazy hobby in the beginning.

This is me exactly. Not successful (yet), but I have all the requirements for a smooth sailing.

edwardthefirst

Reaction score
I recognize that the majority of you gentlemen already know most of this, but if anyone is wanting to know a little more about the classic Neapolitan tailoring tradition, this article is a great read. It's a little outdated, note that Sartorio is now owned by Kiton as opposed to Attolini, and Isaia no longer manufactures the Enrico or Gianluca lines.

http://www.departures.com/articles/thats-amore

gerbilunit

Reaction score
2 years, 7 months, and 29 days total, but I've only been making $1000-1500/week payments for the last 6 months or so.
1. congrats capnwes! thats an achievement!
2. i think everyone forgot the detail that he has only been making PAYMENTS of this much a week... that doesn't mean he isn't making more and not putting all of it towards the debt, which is even more mindblowing.

either way, AMAZING.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. congrats capnwes! thats an achievement!
2. i think everyone forgot the detail that he has only been making PAYMENTS of this much a week... that doesn't mean he isn't making more and not putting all of it towards the debt, which is even more mindblowing.

either way, AMAZING.
peepwall[1].gif

951socal2012

Reaction score
I agree with this. It's not a surprise at all. Luck is short term, it takes hard work and dedication to get results consistently over the long term.

The hard work put in by Wes and others on this thread are an inspiration.
I hate when people make excuses for not being successful. Each area has it faults, but also it's own strengths. There isn't always gold to be found, but you can still make a lot of money from silver and copper; you just have to do more digging. I like seeing Wes working the tweeds and yourself working the sportswear.

when i started i made a decision not to be in the "flipper" camp. when i go i go to buy for myself, and wear it until i need to donate it.
If i do proxy i proxy for actual cost + shipping + optional tip.

not complaining that i'm not "successful" as im not aiming to start a business. Some people knock flipping, i don't mind it, i just don't do it. Seems like more and more ebay business types had invaded the thread over the years

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when i started i made a decision not to be in the "flipper" camp. when i go i go to buy for myself, and wear it until i need to donate it.
If i do proxy i proxy for actual cost + shipping + optional tip.

not complaining that i'm not "successful" as im not aiming to start a business. Some people knock flipping, i don't mind it, i just don't do it. Seems like more and more ebay business types had invaded the thread over the years

Can we stop beating this horse to death?

If people didn't care, then they'd stop talking about it instead of asserting this pseudo superiority complex saying "I don't care that others do this, but I myself do xyz...The thread has gone rogue lets take it back."

I haven't been here for super long, but both the people that flip and don't flip have taught me a lot about quality and have hooked me up when they could. Isn't that what this is about?

And goddamn dude, you've been a member for less time than I have. What is this 'over the years' business?

I come to this thread for the sense of camaraderie and knowledge it boasts. The only thing that would piss me off on here is if someone was to come here and ask questions and benefit by flipping without ever helping out others with knowledge or otherwise. That is RARE to my eyes. But what's not rare is this dog chasing tail argument of caring or not caring about flippers.

I've learned more about menswear in the last 6 months than in the rest of my life combined. That's mostly due to this thread. I've also learned that @barrelntrigger can't stop thinking and drooling over food and that @size 38R gets ragey after a couple of drinks, but that's a whole nother thread.
lol8[1].gif

Flame hat on.

Edit: You have a link to your ebay store in your signature. I can't even...

Last edited:

marc roberto

Reaction score
Thrifted me this today, I'm guessing it has to be a fake but I can always dream.. Any help on this would be awesome.

Brooks Brothers cotton 3 roll 2 sportcoat

Citigroup umbrella tie. For my rainy days. Can anyone ID the maker

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What kind of god allows NWT Kiton 7 folds to have really obvious thread pulls right on the front blade? Not that I liked the pattern, but I think I'm going to try and be more generous proxying stuff I find on here.

Also, if somebody wants Marks and Spencer-era BB OCBDs in like 14.5s and 18s, my Marshalls has them, and it's apparently not the only one.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nah....he lost his old password and had to sign up with a new username.....SoCal's been around for a few years.

Fair enough, but I the irony of posting about flipping with having an ebay store link in one's sig wasn't lost on me.

JackFlash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enough flipping talk. Someone quickly post something sick they found in their size that they plan on keeping forever.

Best I can do on short notice (and sorry for the rubbish photos). Buffalo plaid wool jac shirt in my size by Johnson Woolen Mills, made with pride in Johnson, VT since 1842! Jackets like this are normally quite roomy, but this fits like a dream. A real treat for a New England boy like myself.

icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads