• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdrizzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Post a pic of the tag. If all the letters are capitalized, that should signify Big E. Unless I am mistaken.

Shakiest hands of allll time. But yah, its Big E, but I don't know if that's as significant as it is for denim.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's not an option, that's a share purchase program. Still a smart way to save (especially if they match a percentage or offer a discount).

Sorry, I forgot to add that she also had some options from the previous job. That was where them money had come from. Those options were an annual 'signing bonus'.

sparrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pardon the poor quality photos and noob question - I am not very versed in SW&D

Are these anything special? I noticed the big-E, but they are modern and non-selvage.

They were super cheap, so I am not concerned if I picked up a dud, I am just curious!

Made in USA is a plus
But weird the inner label should also be capital no?

Last edited:

arnathor

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
2 years, 7 months, and 29 days total, but I've only been making $1000-1500/week payments for the last 6 months or so.
You were making $1000 a week from flipping clothes!? Goddamn.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few recent finds... I've got a lot of catching up to do!

Cloudveil Primaloft insulated hoody (L)

Polo Ralph Lauren 60/40 w/Navajo trim (L)

John Varvatos Star USA Peaked Lapel Blazer (42)

Rag + Bone Sahel Jacket (42)

Uniqlo kid's down/synthetic puffer vest

Banana Republic safari vest

Redneck waistcoat

Rag + Bone wool sweater (M)

skeet

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dinner was at La Fondue in Saratoga... It's super-pricey ($300 for the meal we had), but the Groupon made it fairly reasonably for a special occasion (this wasn't a special occasion, but the Groupon was set to expire in two weeks, so we had to act!). I guess we could call it a celebration of the life of my wife's dad, who passed away on the 3rd at the age of 87.

Bottle of sparkling wine (Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut)

First course, salad:
I had the spinach salad with Sweet & Sour Bleu Cheese dressing (Spinach, feta cheese, sunflower seeds,
tomatoes, mushrooms, cucumbers, carrots)

Second course, fondue:
We had the bacon/cajun fondue (Cheddar, Beer, Bacon, Shrimp, Spices)

Third Course, Fondue Bourguignon:
Table-grilled sampler consisting of ALL of the following:
Garden Vegetable

Wild Turkey

Texas Wild Boar

Chicken

Buffalo

Alligator Tail

Swiss Chicken

Shrimp Japonaise

Filet Mignon

Chicken Japonaise

Kangaroo

Colossal Shrimp

Teriyaki Sirloin

Tiger Blue Shrimp

Antelope

Spiced Fish

Tuna Saku

Kobe Flat Iron

Pacific Catch

Pacific White Shrimp

Snow Crab Legs

Polynesian Chicken

Sea Scallops

3 Lobster Tails

Fondue Chinoise Cheddar

Venison

Fondue Chinoise Swiss

Canadian Elk

Fourth Course, dessert:
Chocolate Fondue: The Decadent One (Milk & Dark Chocolates, Espresso, Kahlua, Creme)
Wow! What does Swiss chicks taste like? Holy ****! Kangaroo?! Antelope!!!??? Tiger?! Oh wait...Tiger Blue Shrimp...
biggrin.gif

2 years, 7 months, and 29 days total, but I've only been making $1000-1500/week payments for the last 6 months or so.
Wow! Congrats! What a journey it must have been!

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i am, i started around the time wes started here, and i'm like $20 in the black haha.
he did good, nice area he did a lot of work, and since it was ebay im sure it was mostly bs from people trying to scam.

congrats wes!

I'm not sure why you're shocked. If you look at the things he sells, the quality of his images, and his descriptions, it looks more like he has a good thrifting ground, knows what to pick up and what to pass on, and puts in hella hard work.

DanM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i am, i started around the time wes started here, and i'm like $20 in the black haha.
he did good, nice area he did a lot of work, and since it was ebay im sure it was mostly bs from people trying to scam.

congrats wes!

Sounds like Wes has an ideal situation for this biz - he's located in the "Tweed Belt", has access to several well-established metropolitan areas to draw on, and most importantly has an understanding spouse that indulges what probably seemed like a crazy hobby in the beginning.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like Wes has an ideal situation for this biz - he's located in the "Tweed Belt", has access to several well-established metropolitan areas to draw on, and most importantly has an understanding spouse that indulges what probably seemed like a crazy hobby in the beginning.

This. Works for me too... Except for the tweed belt part. I live in the t-shirt belt...

div25sec9

Reaction score

I'm not sure why you're shocked. If you look at the things he sells, the quality of his images, and his descriptions, it looks more like he has a good thrifting ground, knows what to pick up and what to pass on, and puts in hella hard work.

I agree with this. It's not a surprise at all. Luck is short term, it takes hard work and dedication to get results consistently over the long term.

The hard work put in by Wes and others on this thread are an inspiration.

This. Works for me too... Except for the tweed belt part. I live in the t-shirt belt...

I hate when people make excuses for not being successful. Each area has it faults, but also it's own strengths. There isn't always gold to be found, but you can still make a lot of money from silver and copper; you just have to do more digging. I like seeing Wes working the tweeds and yourself working the sportswear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads