• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that not common? In MN, Savers/Unique has 25% off days 1 day a week. GW has two half-off certain color days followed by $1.49 day for whatever's left of the colored tag. SA has random 50% off deals throughout the week.
No no, sales and scaling pricing down, is common…the original photo you posted looked like they gave you a scale of pricing that they will charge, depending on the day. Its a bit counterproductive to advertise your high end pricing along with your low end pricing to just have it be determined on a random day.

Now if there is a single price posted on items, and then the store runs a 50% off day, this looks much more in our favor to know what we will be paying. But to have a range of 20$ +/- of both prices listed all the time, you will always feel ripped off no matter the day (except 50% off day).

Not sure if all that made sense. I just find it weird to post both high and low pricing on an item instead of a single price and then run sales to only scale down from there.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No no, sales and scaling pricing down, is common…the original photo you posted looked like they gave you a scale of pricing that they will charge, depending on the day. Its a bit counterproductive to advertise your high end pricing along with your low end pricing to just have it be determined on a random day.

Now if there is a single price posted on items, and then the store runs a 50% off day, this looks much more in our favor to know what we will be paying. But to have a range of 20$ +/- of both prices listed all the time, you will always feel ripped off no matter the day (except 50% off day).

Not sure if all that made sense. I just find it weird to post both high and low pricing on an item instead of a single price and then run sales to only scale down from there.

Gotcha. It wasn't my original item, so I missed the photo of the price tags.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Speaking of thrift fits, took my grandmother to see Itzhak Perlman tonight.

1964 bespoke tuxedo
RLBL shirt
Sulka bowtie
Mappin & Webb cufflinks
Pantherella socks
RLPL x EG slippers
RLPL sunglasses

I absolutely love the fact that your grandmother chose to go bold with her top. Your fit is brilliant and good on you for taking out out like that.

Reosymes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the past few days:

Tiger of Sweden, heavy flannel jacket, dual vents. Untagged, but looks like a 38R (available). Bleeding Madras shirt in my size. Love it. Viyella wool/cotton shirt (not sure if keeping). BB cords, my size. Patagonia cords, size 32 (available).

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day today. Electronics and ties.

Sony DA333ES digital cinema sound processing receiver

Yamaha DSP-A1000 digital sound field processing amplifier

Parasound HCA-1000A amplifier

Tandberg TR-2075 receiver

Digital camera

and some ties....

Dolcepunta and Stefano Ricci

and here's my thrifting first. In well over a decade of thrifting, I haven't come across this label until now. Funny as other Minnesotans have found it before....

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

1964 bespoke tuxedo
RLBL shirt
Sulka bowtie
Mappin & Webb cufflinks
Pantherella socks
RLPL x EG slippers
RLPL sunglasses

One of this year's best shots on SF.

Congrats! :cheers:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got done hooking up my favorite thrift find of the day. Pioneer Elite PRO-930 HD 43" plasma TV with side sound bars.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Plasma/PRO-930HD

Needed a tv for my unfinished basement where we moved the comfortable couches to make room for the nice looking ones in the half basement (house is a 4 level split). Picked this up for a song so I figured why not. It's nicer than the family room TV. :laugh:

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I wanted to follow Gmmcls lead and share how much this thread has helped me up my clothing game. Out of the hundreds of pairs of shoes I've thrifted, these are the one's that have found a permanent home in my closet. All these have been thrifted by me except where noted. I also want to say, before I joined this fantastic community and started soaking in it's infinite wisdom, my only pair of "dress shoes" was a pair of BB suede bucs. Warning, lots of pictures in the spoiler.dit, since the spoilers don't seem to be working, I have removed them <snip>

<-- sleepily pokes head up and looks around, encounters eazye's shoe collection, rubs eyes and blinks

I approve. Nice variety!
cheers.gif
Keep it up and you'll be in legit shoostravaganza territory.
decisions.gif

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally found some stuff at RueLaLa on which to spend my credit - only have stock website pics to share:

Bobby Jones "The Range" jacket:

Hickey Freeman cotton polo:

...when all was said and done, cost me $37.80 including shipping. (the Bobby Jones jacket was originally $175, and the HF originally $125...not bad at all).

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1964 bespoke tuxedo
RLBL shirt
Sulka bowtie
Mappin & Webb cufflinks
Pantherella socks
RLPL x EG slippers
RLPL sunglasses

You're the one on the right, correct?

But seriously, great picture.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ended up getting a few things today. Thanks for the help with the coats earlier. I ended up leaving both the barneys and the spiewak.

Here's the spiewak for anyone that might want it. It's an XXL and I can proxy if it's still there.

This was a great find for me though!

HF Coat. It comes down past my knees. What is that, a top coat?

Okay, fine, it's not as good as 38R's fit pic, but I actually had been looking for something like this so I'm psyched! I need to have the sleeves shortened a little bit. It's also a little big on the shoulders, but should be fine if I'm wearing something thick underneath. Otherwise, I'll turn it into something else!

Then I found this guy. It's a first for me. I like the pattern :)

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have thrifted these two cameras this week... A PowerShot SX10 IS (10MP) and a PowerShot SD750 (7.1MP). Both seem fully functional. The 750 cames with an extra battery and charger and other accessories. 10 runs on AA batteries.

Awesome! Man, you're on a roll! Killer haul yesterday too!

@Nataku, something magical happened! The Filson shirt fits perfectly! Any idea what model it is?

:slayer:

Great looking shirt! Love the epaulets. Does it have a model #? Not sure off hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads