• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its been a few years now I've been thrifting regularly.  Now fellas, this is a gradual climb up to being able to have an open face relationship with Thrifting + Wifey all in the same happy boat.

-Try showing benefits to her about it.  I have always been into clothing, style, and everything in between.  Thrifting was an extension of all that, which she saw and understood.
-Try inviting her to go, which will be a slow progress, but eventually, she will be down to go every once in awhile.
-I've now turned this hobby into something that is lucrative, and those benefits I've certainly shared with her.  aka, monetary transactions stemmed from my PP DC.

-Last week for the first time, I received a picture text from the wifey of some furniture & clothing she went to go look at at SA during her lunch break...  On her own time, she went to a thrift store.  I about fell back in my chair at work.  That was big for me!

I can now openly plan thrifting routes and loops for our out of town trips, and have her be on-board with all of it.
So in the end, this was a slow progress for me, but I wouldn't have it any other way.  As time goes on, she will be even more involved with all of it.

i actually did this over the weekend. got the gf to come in a cab to one in new orleans. that was an interesting experience.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Putting gas in my '05 Subaru Forester...

Thrift fit.
Patagonia (clearance sale at outlet)
Wörn Jeans (thrifted)
Frye chukkas (e-thrift)

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't get much love last time but I only posted a ****** picture but here it is again with a new lighting set-up I just finished making. Aquascutum Coat. I love this thing, wish it had fit.

Throat Latch, removable inside, belted sleeves and belt, hidden button, buttonable on both sides.
Gorgeous.

DjangoV

Reaction score
Ok, so I did sort of a thrift today for the first time. Didn't have to much time but, although I am mainly in the market for a decent navy blazer, found this tie for € 2.25 (about $ 3 USD):

It's a 100% silk (pretty thick/heavy fabric) Corneliani tie which says 'hand made' so i guess it's a decent enough thrift.

I also found the following 3 ties, which I passed (mainly due to not knowing how/if I could combine it with the suits I own). From left to right:
- diagonal 2 shades of brown Hugo Boss;
- purple(ish) Profuomo;
- pale gold with white dots Corneliani (80% silk, 20% cotton)

Did do well to pass there?

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barrel, that navy thing is Adam Kimmel

Thanks! His wife is hot!
'99 Camry bitches! Sick beige paint job, I got that old man swag. 170,000 miles, you ain't done this kind of time. Look at that racing stripe down the side. That's how you know it's built for speed.

Barrrrrel, you should totally PM me.
Ahhh sorry, bro, been busy with the home life. But I'm always on this thread so I totally should PM you tonight. I'll get the deetz to you by Wednesday!

2001 saab 95 aero sport
When you get a car? lol You should totes drive it up to the next SF meet!

I'm going to try testing my luck now:

Heya, I'm going to stumble upon a 1959 Les Paul for under $50 today.
lol8[1].gif

Been lurking (and thrifting) for about a month. The more crazy ish I see you all picking up, the more time I am spending at the thrift stores; it's becoming a problem (so thanks). I had a better than usual haul yesterday, so I thought I'd post some of it.. (sorry about some of the photos being upside-down in advance)

Black camelhair blazer

Pal Zileri suit (NWOT)

Zanella x2, Canali, Dries Van Noten (!), Vestimenta

Lubiam Black Cashmere Blazer

The two blazers were too nice to pass on, despite slight smoke smell (some loose, larger cut tobacco in one pocket makes me think pipe smoker). Anyone have any tips for de-odorizing?
Totes nice on the DVM! Use baking soda and freeze the **** out of jackets.

Went back and picked it up. It's a 48L if anyone is interested, let me know!

I thought it was my lucky day because I missed another one sitting right next to it! It was a 39. Fit me perfectly. Here it is.

3 Button

And then the sad part. I see a few small moth holes. Oh well. The lapels were silly anyway!

I saw nataku posted a talbot. What's the hierarchy? I've seen Talbot for xyz brand, Robert talbot, then this label below and many others.
Ehhh, I pass on those all the time. I only pick up in staple or unique pattern.

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone else noticed a lot more annoying people out thrifting lately? I swear a new rack comes out at Goodwill and I am on it like white on rice and then out of no where some middle aged heavy set lady comes right over tot he same rack stands 5 inches from me and starts tossing elbows snagging all the Sears clothing she can find.

Definitely! Can't stand when someone does that...

but the worst thing for me is when I'm going through a rack of dress shirts... and some guy gets too close to me and starts going through shirts in such a way that he pushes the shirts he's seen up against the shirts that I haven't yet seen! Hard to explain, but say for example that the rack of shirts are all hung so that the labels are facing to your left. I go down the aisle from left to right, sliding shirts one by one from the right to the left about one foot along the rack, so that there's always this little bit of empty space on the rack in front of me (about a foot wide) with the shirts I've seen to the left of the empty space, and the shirts I haven't yet seen to the right of the empty space. I'm going through the shirts about one or two per second, just throwing them one by one across that empty space as I check the labels one by one (only stopping for "good" names like Borrelli, T&A, Fray, Hilditch & Key, Lorenzini, Charvet, etc. etc.) Then inevitably some bozo approaches on my left, and starts looking at shirts. Then he ******* slides a bunch of shirts to his right, so that he pushes shirts I've reviewed down into my empty space! He narrows the gap in front of me! I look to my left all like "wtf?" so then, instead of just moving the next shirt I look at one foot to the left and opening back up my empty space in front of me to the original 1 foot distance of empty rack, I'll SLAM that shirt a good 2 feet to my left, totally interrupting and displacing all the shirts in front of the bozo who's standing next to me on my left. It's a nonverbal **** YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for interrupting my groove. Usually he gets the message and moves away but sometimes it gets tense for a few seconds. Once someone tried to "**** you" back to me and slid his shirts even harder to his right, closing down my gap again. Then things got ugly.

Does this happen to you guys or only me?

Last edited:

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Putting gas in my '05 Subaru Forester...

Thrift fit.
Patagonia (clearance sale at outlet)
Wörn Jeans (thrifted)
Frye chukkas (e-thrift)

What happened to those Engineer Garments denim you were gonna post?

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Corneliani tie you would want to pick up if it's in good condition.

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your 67 had the 350 4 speed in it right? My buddy has a 68 4 speed, and it is fun. My 400 is bored out with a 2500 stall on the trans. Its a beast to drive, but does suck up about a gallon of gas per 6 miles.

As far as the front goes, I as well prefer the split grill. Nothing beats that look. Another reason why the Firebird won my attention was the tail light set up. 68 I believe was the first year for a mandate for side safety markers on vehicles as well, and the Pontiac symbols are fantastic looking. OEM light-up Tachometer on the hood cannot be beat. All in all, it has this rarity to it that adds to the thrill of owning one this far into its heritage.

My cousin has a 67 mustang 302 and his is a pretty clean resto. Fastbacks are hard to squeeze a grin outa me, if I'm goin FORD, I'm going Eleanor 500GT

Nope, my '67 had the weenie engine - 230 overhead cam inline 6. Looked great and was only $1900 when I bought it, but zero get-up-and-go. They didn't offer the 350 until 68 - before that the 67 had the weenie 230, plus 326 and 400. I like the vent windows on the 67...and yes 68 is when they added the little logo/marker to the side rear (and also moved the front indicators to the corners). Either one is OK by me tho!
Eleanor is a bit too busy for me - a plain 2005/6 GT would suit me just fine.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barrel, the EGs haven't arrived yet.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that more like 38?

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been pretty slow for me lately, and I haven't had much time to thrift recently. I ran into another thrifter who said that a lot of donations are heading to the phillipines, so I don't really mind. I did manage to pick up this NWOT/deadstock workshirt, but nothing else of note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads