• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suh-weet! My first car out of high school was a '67 Firebird, but only the OHC 6 engine. If I knew then what I know now about how much they would go for, I would have kept it and tossed a 400 in it for fun. I still prefer the 67 and 68 Firebird to the Camaro of the same years; don't like the 69 Firebird's front nose and Camaro wins it that year (I forgot which year Wes has)...but I'd take the 69 Mach 1 / fastback over either of them.

Current ride:
Your 67 had the 350 4 speed in it right? My buddy has a 68 4 speed, and it is fun. My 400 is bored out with a 2500 stall on the trans. Its a beast to drive, but does suck up about a gallon of gas per 6 miles.

As far as the front goes, I as well prefer the split grill. Nothing beats that look. Another reason why the Firebird won my attention was the tail light set up. 68 I believe was the first year for a mandate for side safety markers on vehicles as well, and the Pontiac symbols are fantastic looking. OEM light-up Tachometer on the hood cannot be beat. All in all, it has this rarity to it that adds to the thrill of owning one this far into its heritage.

My cousin has a 67 mustang 302 and his is a pretty clean resto. Fastbacks are hard to squeeze a grin outa me, if I'm goin FORD, I'm going Eleanor 500GT

div25sec9

Reaction score

it really is. my gf thinks im NUTS after finding out about this a few weeks ago. i now go 1-2x/week and maybe one weekend day. when i drag her along she's miserable/disgusted.

im finding myself making excuses/lying to say im elsewhere when im really trolling the GW aisles. :/

The lies have just begun! Here are some common lies you might find helpful:

Where have you been?
- work lasted a bit longer tonight than I anticipated
- traffic

When did you get that?
- i've had this a long time, you don't remember me wearing it before?
- it's from a trade I did on SF

What's in the package that came today?
- just a trade from SF
- a return

How much did that cost?
- if no customs label = 15% - 50% of cost
- if customs label from retail, you're screwed; if not customs label is replacement cost; once again 15% to 50% of cost

How many (of that clothing item) do you own?
- not very many...only about "x" (x=actual/2 +1)

...but just wait until she starts levying the "wife/gf tax". I've had to pay for carpet, furniture, home repairs, car payments, gardening supplies, and landscaping work. The tax payments are quickly forgotten once you are seen with new bags from a thrift. Bribes of thrifted scarves and purses might get you out of trouble, but does not at all get you close to breaking even.

If we only could be as lucky as Spoo or Eazy; they have a Bonnie and Clyde setup going on, killing the thrifting game across the nation.

woodchuck312

Reaction score
Quote:
I've tried to get my wife in on the game. She lacks the patience. I've taken her thrifting before she gets bored and cranky. Has anyone else noticed a lot more annoying people out thrifting lately? I swear a new rack comes out at Goodwill and I am on it like white on rice and then out of no where some middle aged heavy set lady comes right over tot he same rack stands 5 inches from me and starts tossing elbows snagging all the Sears clothing she can find.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the mid-afternoon LULZ guys. i find it is (sort of) negative affecting me too. i used to go to the gym every day after work. now thats cut in half. oh well, its winter time anyway time to pack on the blubber to stay warm!

but yes, typically my excuse is "had to stay late"...wish i could blame traffic but work is only 3 miles from home!

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried to get my wife in on the game. She lacks the patience. I've taken her thrifting before she gets bored and cranky.

Has anyone else noticed a lot more annoying people out thrifting lately? I swear a new rack comes out at Goodwill and I am on it like white on rice and then out of no where some middle aged heavy set lady comes right over tot he same rack stands 5 inches from me and starts tossing elbows snagging all the Sears clothing she can find.
Christmas Shoppin'.

What I really hate is when I'm mid-way through a rack, and some person is about to start on it and pushes all the hangers towards me, effectively making it so I can't go through the rack. Then again I ******* hate rudeness.

Girlfriend shares my enthusiasm, but not my dedication.

TheBurnOut

Reaction score
Only my second time finding this brand in 3 years of thrifting.

My size, likely n/a.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the mid-afternoon LULZ guys. i find it is (sort of) negative affecting me too. i used to go to the gym every day after work. now thats cut in half. oh well, its winter time anyway time to pack on the blubber to stay warm!

but yes, typically my excuse is "had to stay late"...wish i could blame traffic but work is only 3 miles from home!

Its been a few years now I've been thrifting regularly. Now fellas, this is a gradual climb up to being able to have an open face relationship with Thrifting + Wifey all in the same happy boat.

-Try showing benefits to her about it. I have always been into clothing, style, and everything in between. Thrifting was an extension of all that, which she saw and understood.
-Try inviting her to go, which will be a slow progress, but eventually, she will be down to go every once in awhile.
-I've now turned this hobby into something that is lucrative, and those benefits I've certainly shared with her. aka, monetary transactions stemmed from my PP DC.

-Last week for the first time, I received a picture text from the wifey of some furniture & clothing she went to go look at at SA during her lunch break... On her own time, she went to a thrift store. I about fell back in my chair at work. That was big for me!

I can now openly plan thrifting routes and loops for our out of town trips, and have her be on-board with all of it.
So in the end, this was a slow progress for me, but I wouldn't have it any other way. As time goes on, she will be even more involved with all of it.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Went back and picked it up. It's a 48L if anyone is interested, let me know!

I thought it was my lucky day because I missed another one sitting right next to it! It was a 39. Fit me perfectly. Here it is.

3 Button

And then the sad part. I see a few small moth holes. Oh well. The lapels were silly anyway!

I saw nataku posted a talbot. What's the hierarchy? I've seen Talbot for xyz brand, Robert talbot, then this label below and many others.

Last edited:

Koala-T

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw nataku posted a talbot. What's the hierarchy? I've seen Talbot for xyz brand, Robert talbot, then this label below and many others.
The Talbott you want is Best of Class, Estate, and Carmel. That is a nice, but old tie. That particular label is out of date, but still probably a nice tie.

hbkshin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't get much love last time but I only posted a ****** picture but here it is again with a new lighting set-up I just finished making. Aquascutum Coat. I love this thing, wish it had fit.

Throat Latch, removable inside, belted sleeves and belt, hidden button, buttonable on both sides.

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Talbott you want is Best of Class, Estate, and Carmel. That is a nice, but old tie. That particular label is out of date, but still probably a nice tie.

Thank you sir!
I might grab it but I have a few paisley ties right now anyway. But for a couple of bucks....why not!

klay49

Reaction score

Didn't get much love last time but I only posted a ****** picture but here it is again with a new lighting set-up I just finished making. Aquascutum Coat. I love this thing, wish it had fit.
LL
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Throat Latch, removable inside, belted sleeves and belt, hidden button, buttonable on both sides.
I only rock the Executive...sorry just saw that Sienfeld last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads