• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mike540
Does anyone bother with Versace stuff? I've been seeing a bit lately but don't really know anything about it. Is it very saleable?
Versace ties are very saleable, especially anything that features their Medusa head logo. I haven't had the best luck with any of their shirts and pretty much ignore any V2 stuff I see.

Joe Cool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
eBay flippers don't usually frequent that store (at least when I worked there they didn't) and I had a feeling that someone who would honestly use and enjoy it would snatch it up. Looks like my hunch was correct.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for leaving it for us small timers
lol8[1].gif
It's sweet, and will make its way into my regular "fancy boy" rotation when needed.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trust me, frenchy, any selling / exchanging will be on account of them just not fitting my foot. If they fit it would be a no-brainer. And everyone would get tired of me posting fit pics every three days ("Here's the EG's with denim" ; "EG's again with RRL officers chinos!" ; "Friday--wearing my EG's!"

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
I've noticed something something very odd over the past week. The Salvation Army has been lowering their prices! I went to three stores including their main store/center today. Recent stock (put out within the last week or two) was priced as follows: Ties were .25 to .50 each. Shirts were .99 to $2. Trousers were $.99 to $2. Jackets were $2 to $4. Suits were $4 to $6. I sure hope this lasts! This is where I got the Prada blazer, luckily.

SA here has a colour ticket system where one colour each week is half price. It helps them to move old stock, I guess.I've picked up some great buys under that system.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joe Cool
Thanks for leaving it for us small timers
lol8[1].gif
It's sweet, and will make its way into my regular "fancy boy" rotation when needed.

Enjoy
biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by California Dreamer
SA here has a colour ticket system where one colour each week is half price. It helps them to move old stock, I guess.I've picked up some great buys under that system.

Yup, same here. Those $2 pants will be a mere $1 in a few weeks!

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
For those inquiring, the sizing on the EG's is handwritten as 9 / 9.5 D.

I can say with confidence they fit true to 9.5D, as my own 10D feet can get into them without any fuss but they're a shade too tight across the ball of my foot. Here's a pic of the sizing, maybe someone can tell what last they're on. I'd love to wear these myself (so close) but 90% sure I'll be selling. Feel free to PM w/offers.

Great find Trapp. The uppers seem to be in great condition...a pair of shoes that probably still have a lifetime of use in them. They're on the 202 last, btw.

lynch_king

Reaction score
This thread had me go for the first time today, there is not much in my area. I found some older 4" wide ties that i bought for $3 a piece.

Saw and passed on a few Christian dior ties that were stained or just ugly.

otherwise shirts were $12-15. so i passed on them.

and looking through the sport coats only a few not so great designers came up like hugo boss, Oscar De La Renta Studio, CK calvin Klein etc.

Do you guys have any tips for a newbie?
How do you guys get stuff for so cheap? The thrift stores here are kind of expensive!
How often do you guys go? I'm Thinking i can do once a week for a little while then hold off ETC

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lynch_king
This thread had me go for the first time today, there is not much in my area. I found some older 4" wide ties that i bought for $3 a piece.

Saw and passed on a few Christian dior ties that were stained or just ugly.

otherwise shirts were $12-15. so i passed on them.

and looking through the sport coats only a few not so great designers came up like hugo boss, Oscar De La Renta Studio, CK calvin Klein etc.

Do you guys have any tips for a newbie?
How do you guys get stuff for so cheap? The thrift stores here are kind of expensive!
How often do you guys go? I'm Thinking i can do once a week for a little while then hold off ETC

Go often, be patient, find where places that are private and take in the donations of "Purple Heart Vetrans, Cancer Society, etc" and never post in the open where it is....
We are watched and believe me once your honey hole is disclosed, it will get hammered by the ******* ebay flipper scum.

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Go often, be patient, find where places that are private and take in the donations of "Purple Heart Vetrans, Cancer Society, etc" and never post in the open where it is....
We are watched and believe me once your honey hole is disclosed, it will get hammered by the ******* ebay flipper scum.

is there a list of higherend brands i should look for?

im a noob to dresing nicely and need to do it on the cheap lol.

i know of:

RLPL, RLBL, brioni, zegna, canali, Turnbull/asser, ike behar, versace, YSL, tom ford and hermes. and thats it
frown.gif

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ You know, I really hate to be that guy, but given my stepping out in that other post, I might as well keep going. For anyone who wants to learn about what brands are good to thrift, be it a newbie or an unsure seasoned veteran, READ THIS THREAD. Don't just read today's posts. Go back 50, 100, 200 pages and take a couple hours to READ THIS THREAD. Read every last post if you can, and take notes. Until I became comfortable enough in my knowledge of brands to look for, etc., I took a small hand-written checklist with me that included some of the best brands to look for and quality construction tips, etc. All the information you could ever hope to learn is right here at your fingertips if you READ THIS THREAD. It's a lot easier, though perhaps a little more time consuming than using the SEARCH function.

I've been thrifting for a few years now, and I still come across brands that I've never heard of and that are unfamiliar to me. The very first thing I do when I get home is to use the SEARCH function here at Styleforum, and if nothing comes up I do a GOOGLE search. I just did this last week in fact. Sorry, but that is a "system" that shouldn't have to be explained. The only time I've come here and posted asking for advice on an unknown brand, is if I can't find any information about the maker anywhere, but the quality/construction of the piece is very good and warrants buying the item. I 'won't clog up the posts here with questions about brands without having done at least a basic, if not thorough search for information.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this has been said here more than once. If people read the thread it probably wouldn't have to be repeated. Trust me, I'm not that guy looking to give newbies a hard time. It's just that we'd all be better off if everyone employed a little common sense. To just come here and ask for a list of brands to look for is asking for a lot. A lot more than anyone should have the time of patience for. Please put in a little effort, the thrifting gods will reward you!
wink.gif

The wealth of knowledge that has been preserved in these pages really is astounding. For anyone not to take advantage of it is at best foolish.

Again, not being mean-spirited here, I'm actually trying to steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
wow - I have a confession to make --- I'd always thought that H. Freeman & Son was the same company as Hickey Freeman....
blush.gif
anybody else? just me?

So does every seller on eBay
lol8[1].gif

That brand is very popular down here in thrift stores. I'm pretty sure it's because it's a favorite of the older, church crowd and it was a mainstay brand of Cullwell & Sons; the hugely popular men's store. I've never found one I could take home because for some reason they've all been dry-cleaned to death. I'm not so sure some of these good 'ol boys around here don't take their suits to the cleaners every single time they wear them!

lynch_king

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
^^ You know, I really hate to be that guy, but given my stepping out in that other post, I might as well keep going. For anyone who wants to learn about what brands are good to thrift, be it a newbie or an unsure seasoned veteran, READ THIS THREAD. Don't just read today's posts. Go back 50, 100, 200 pages and take a couple hours to READ THIS THREAD. Read every last post if you can, and take notes. Until I became comfortable enough in my knowledge of brands to look for, etc., I took a small hand-written checklist with me that included some of the best brands to look for and quality construction tips, etc. All the information you could ever hope to learn is right here at your fingertips if you READ THIS THREAD. It's a lot easier, though perhaps a little more time consuming than using the SEARCH function.

I've been thrifting for a few years now, and I still come across brands that I've never heard of and that are unfamiliar to me. The very first thing I do when I get home is to use the SEARCH function here at Styleforum, and if nothing comes up I do a GOOGLE search. I just did this last week in fact. Sorry, but that is a "system" that shouldn't have to be explained. The only time I've come here and posted asking for advice on an unknown brand, is if I can't find any information about the maker anywhere, but the quality/construction of the piece is very good and warrants buying the item. I 'won't clog up the posts here with questions about brands without having done at least a basic, if not thorough search for information.

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure this has been said here more than once. If people read the thread it probably wouldn't have to be repeated. Trust me, I'm not that guy looking to give newbies a hard time. It's just that we'd all be better off if everyone employed a little common sense. To just come here and ask for a list of brands to look for is asking for a lot. A lot more than anyone should have the time of patience for. Please put in a little effort, the thrifting gods will reward you!
wink.gif

The wealth of knowledge that has been preserved in these pages really is astounding. For anyone not to take advantage of it is at best foolish.

Again, not being mean-spirited here, I'm actually trying to steer you in the right direction. Good luck!

thank you, yeah i've been lurking this thread alot of steals here!

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4562963557_c695ba2657_b.jpg
Scooped up a pair of Black Brogue wingtips last weekend from the last of the Dacks shoe inventory. $250 tax in is a steal for a pair of bench made UK production shoes.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
never post in the open where it is....

This. They will find out one way or another eventually, but this way you're basically telling them to go there. I did an online search for one of my hot spots before it closed. Some moron posted about it on a "best discount places" blog thing online and ever since then my finds were severely limited. I still found some decent stuff for dirt cheap but I knew there was some amazing stuff being hauled out by flippers every day. They restocked once a week and being there the day when everything as fresh was insane. There was a line outside the door and you could barely move inside. They closed now, so it's just a distant memory. It was more of a headache than anything towards the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads