• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went hard today ... hit 8 stores, some quite big. I saw so much good stuff my head was spinning. Only trouble, once again, was the condition of these items or the price. One store in particular had amazing stuff:

1) A pair of Brioni soft leather driving moccasins - asking price $265
2) Two very fine Brioni sportcoats (one bright red silk, the other glen plaid Escorial) - asking price $350 each
3) About a dozen pairs of near new Brioni trousers - asking price $125 up to $250
4) Several fantastic dress shirts (Golden Fleece/T&A/RLPL, etc.) all very good condition - asking $75 and up
5) A Paul Stuart (Stuart's Choice made by Isaia) glen plaid sportcoat - $80 (I was seriously considering this one, but more on why I didn't grab it later)
6) A very nice Davide Cenci glen plaid double-breasted suit - $200
7) Several nice pocket squares including a T&A - asking $30
8) There was also a Malo for 'Trillion' (of Bernie Madoff fame) fine merino wool cardigan. I was really contemplating this one hard for $40, but it had a couple small holes on the chest and were clearly visible. I might still go back for it, or I may just wait until something better comes along.

Another store had amazing ties for sale. They must have had about 10 new or near new Charvet ties. Sadly, they wanted $45 a pop, which is still a good deal, but I can get them for that much new at NM Last Call. This store also had several REALLY funky patterned T&A ties. They looked like patterns on 70's era ties, but they were narrow ties with a modern cut. I know T&A is known for wild patterns, but these were out there - almost psychedelic. Those were $12.50 a pop, and I almost grabbed a couple but didn't.

I came across a whole whack of other stuff I can't even remember now, but left it all behind due to cost or condition. As far as cost is concerned, I have decided to refuse to make purchases over a certain price point. Sure, a Brioni sportcoat is a great deal at $350 if in mint condition. But I can get them on ebay for that much. And if I (or any of us) submit to purchasing fine clothing from these stores at these prices, then they'll continue to assume that is what people will pay and will continue to price accordingly. I have a few Brioni's in my closet, and several others I have found and sold, and I've never paid more than $50 for any one of them. I intend to continue that practice.

So what did I pick up?

Ties: I picked up 6 great ties for $5 each. That's what kept me from getting the other ones at more than twice the cost. Just could bring myself to pay for 2 ties what I just paid for 6.

1) Really cool Beretta brown tweed tie - NWT
2) Another really cool tie, a Davide Cenci wool knit reversible tie
3) A simple (in comparison) T&A tie
4) A no-tag 'made in Italy' silk knit tie of very fine construction/quality
5) A Canali in nice colors
6) A really sweet Battistoni silk knit

Moving on to yet another store I found:

1) A very nice PRL 100% Linen sportcoat by Corneliani. Probably going to sell that one given it's black. But, near new with the spare buttons and inspection tag still in the pocket - $10.
2) A virtually new navy RLPL polo shirt with black mother of pearl buttons and purple grosgrain trim - $5
3) Interestingly, and kind of on topic for today, I found a pair of light cotton summer dress trousers by Pescarolo Napoli. I didn't recognize the brand, but saw that the maker's tag was clearly Isaia. Upon closer inspection I noticed the fine black mother of pearl buttons and hand-sewn button holes. In great condition and a great deal at $5.

So after all that effort, hitting all those stores, I came home with a pair of pants, a polo shirt, a sportcoat and 6 ties for $50. Not the best day, but not the worst either...

justinsmnz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
Upon closer inspection I noticed the fine black mother of pearl buttons and hand-sewn button holes. In great condition and a great deal at $4.

I think that's one of my favorite parts of thrifting. Finding things that clearly had a lot of work put into them and are now virtually free.

I've nearly bought a number of suits/orphans even with severe damage simply because of the phenomenal work put into them.

dareone

Reaction score
just a general question for everyone:

on average, how long does everyone spend looking at each thrift store? for me, i probably spend no longer then 30 mins.

anyway, nothing for me today. just a bunch of ysl ties, and a zegna and valentino tie.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
I actually bring a measuring tape with me to the thrift stores to take quick measurements on key areas to see if stuff is even worth trying on. Or if its cheap enough and measures to my size I will just buy it.

Went out today, but nothing awesome. Saw a Robert Talbott shirt that looked close to new, but way too big. Ended up just getting a RL Polo, Banana Republic shirt, and J Crew linen/cotton blend trousers.

Anyone else take a measuring tape with them when they hit up thrift stores? I have definitely found it to be much faster.

Edit: And I realize J. Crew and Banana Republic aren't anything noteworthy (I actually don't even shop at Banana Republic), but for $10 for all three things I still consider them some decent finds. The polo should get a decent amount of wear this summer, as should the pants.

CasmirRadon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanpatrickb
I actually bring a measuring tape with me to the thrift stores to take quick measurements on key areas to see if stuff is even worth trying on. Or if its cheap enough and measures to my size I will just buy it.

Anyone else take a measuring tape with them when they hit up thrift stores? I have definitely found it to be much faster.

When I'm smart this is exactly what I do. Sadly I virtually always forget to bring my mini tape measure. But it's pretty handy when I actually bring it along.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Taking out the measuring tape, taking the garment off the rack and measuring it is faster than slapping it on your body and finding out?
confused.gif

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Most definitely. Jackets I throw on, but for shirts and pants I just measure. Takes two seconds to measure the waist and maybe the thigh or hem on pants; for shirts usually just the shoulders. There are plenty of pants that may be labeled one size but are no where near that size and a total waste of time to try on. Getting a rough measurement of the waist and seeing its 2" too big or small saves the hassle. I also hate trying on clothes if I don't have to.

wcl

Reaction score
Of course I would have never posted the hippo without the other stuff. I must say I spend hours on SF every week, even though I rarely post. I certainly do not mind when folks mention the non-sartorial finds. LP's, cool hi-fi equipment, luggage and such. It sure makes me look twice at some of the sections of the stores that I would usually not bother with. I have been thrifting faithfully for probably 15 years and I am still amazed at the stuff I have probably been passing over. Some of the more esoteric finds here remind to take the blinders off.
Anyhooooo.....
The last couple of days were awesome. Another Kiton Cashmere in my size. Working cuffs and all, and the sleeves are dead on! Also a Ravazollo solid charcoal suit in my size. An Oxxford 1B peak tux jacket in my size which I should have left due to the lack of matching pants. But it was only $2. Sigh....how many times have I done that told myself that? I should know better by now.

And speaking of non SF related items, a MIJ Vantage Electric Guitar. Someone had given it a Sears Weatherbeater Van Halen paint Job. $35. Also a Vox combo amp. Not tube but awesome for the $10 I paid!

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree about the tape measure--it saves a ton of trying on time. This is key, as some of the thrifts I go to play terrible music that starts to drive me batty if I stay longer than 20 minutes.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wcl
c finds here remind to take the blinders off.
Anyhooooo.....
The last couple of days were awesome. Another Kiton Cashmere in my size. Working cuffs and all, and the sleeves are dead on! Also a Ravazollo solid charcoal suit in my size. An Oxxford 1B peak tux jacket in my size which I should have left due to the lack of matching pants. But it was only $2.

Wow! Pics??
worship.gif

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is it common to find good stuff at places like Salvation Army and Goodwill? The places I go are a lot more discreet and carry a pretty good selection for men. I have never stepped foot in a Salvation Army or Goodwill. Worth checking out?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much. They are very large and well-known charities and get a lot of donations, which means more of a chance to get nice stuff. Trouble is, this means more money to hire more employees to sort through the good stuff and mark it up or toss it on their auction website (Goodwill). However, this isn't the case all over. Every Goodwill and Salvation Army I have been to has produced great finds over the years.

frenchy

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
saw these AE Byrons today in a 11.5,as far as i know they are still at the shop...if anyone is interested pm me (could pop by tomorrow)

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by landshark
So is it common to find good stuff at places like Salvation Army and Goodwill? The places I go are a lot more discreet and carry a pretty good selection for men. I have never stepped foot in a Salvation Army or Goodwill. Worth checking out?

Totally. I have without a doubt found more good stuff at Goodwill and SA combined than anywhere else. As Nakatu alluded to, the higher volume of donations often means a lot more crap to sort through, but I have found 90% of my best finds between these two thrift stores. That said, I can't even count how many times I've gone into a Goodwill/SA and found absolutely nothing. So if at first you don't have any hits, be patient and keep going back. And as per WCL, check all the sections, even the housewares for pottery or antique china, etc.... You just never know!

Originally Posted by wcl
The last couple of days were awesome. Another Kiton Cashmere in my size. Working cuffs and all, and the sleeves are dead on! Also a Ravazollo solid charcoal suit in my size. An Oxxford 1B peak tux jacket in my size which I should have left due to the lack of matching pants. But it was only $2. Sigh....how many times have I done that told myself that? I should know better by now.

And speaking of non SF related items, a MIJ Vantage Electric Guitar. Someone had given it a Sears Weatherbeater Van Halen paint Job. $35. Also a Vox combo amp. Not tube but awesome for the $10 I paid!

Those are some REALLY cool finds WCL. Congrats. I wouldn't worry about the Oxxford tux jacket. I thought you can get away with mismatching tux pants/jackets, and that many makers sell them as separates. Am I crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads