• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Half country. And clean up your trunk hood compartment. Looks like you spilled some of that white powdery substance on the carpet. ;)
coke.gif

You guys KNOW some flipper was there thinking "This guy has to have awesome stuff he is donating" only to see Spoo walk in and start shopping.

ROFL

Thats the carpet cleaner I used to vacuum the inside, I didnt realize I missed some. :paranoia:

And nobody really seemed to care, though I snuck in rather low key, but when I left there was a crowd around the car. :)

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
While the southwest is nearly my favorite area, the southeast does have something about it. I remember the first time I drove through rural Mississippi. My wife needed to use a bathroom, so we stopped at a gas station on a back country road. I walked in and there was a buffet of delicious fried food in the middle (of a gas station). A couple of customers were standing around chatting to the employee. They looked at me and said something and my reply was simply "I'm sorry, I have no idea as to what you just said," and they all cracked up at that.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

While the southwest is nearly my favorite area, the southeast does have something about it. I remember the first time I drove through rural Mississippi. My wife needed to use a bathroom, so we stopped at a gas station on a back country road. I walked in and there was a buffet of delicious fried food in the middle (of a gas station). A couple of customers were standing around chatting to the employee. They looked at me and said something and my reply was simply "I'm sorry, I have no idea as to what you just said," and they all cracked up at that.

Do you have an accent when you speak? I could say pretty much anything down in Georgia and people laugh and make me say things again. Da Noo Yawk thing. :)

Its funny, I put certain voices to you all when I read your posts and Hans you dont have an accent.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Do you have an accent when you speak? I could say pretty much anything down in Georgia and people laugh and make me say things again. Da Noo Yawk thing. :)

Its funny, I put certain voices to you all when I read your posts and Hans you dont have an accent.

English is native for me, so I speak with a "native" accent, though I suppose native is relative. Either way, I don't have a thick German/Austrian accent unless I'm mixing languages. If I'm speaking English, I'll occasionally slip and use a very German pronunciation and the same using German with an English pronunciation. Either way, this crowd knew I wasn't from the area and found it hysterical that I couldn't understand anything.

I do add accents to people speaking as well. I give you a typical New Yawk accent as well...you'd say things like stand "on line" rather than "in line." You'd also go to a stawr instead of a store. The one that gets me the most is "whore." Do you, or anybody close to you, pronounce it as whoo-re?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

English is native for me, so I speak with a "native" accent, though I suppose native is relative. Either way, I don't have a thick German/Austrian accent unless I'm mixing languages. If I'm speaking English, I'll occasionally slip and use a very German pronunciation and the same using German with an English pronunciation. Either way, this crowd knew I wasn't from the area and found it hysterical that I couldn't understand anything.

I do add accents to people speaking as well. I give you a typical New Yawk accent as well...you'd say things like stand "on line" rather than "in line." You'd also go to a stawr instead of a store. The one that gets me the most is "whore." Do you, or anybody close to you, pronounce it as whoo-re?

Its not often that I say "whore" out loud :lol: but ****, its friday. It sounds Hawwwww.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Its not often that I say "whore" out loud :lol: but ****, its friday. It sounds Hawwwww.

A word that doesn't come up in conversation enough I suppose :D I was thinking of The Sopranos and the way they often say it. It's nearly identical to the way we say hair (Haar) in dialect. Hoor.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not quite on Nataku level, but I had an epic haul today (for me at least).

Started off kind of slow with a few shirts - Patagonia organic cotton flannel M, RRL pearl snap M, Shades of Grey chambray XXL:

Found this vintage with tags Nike rugby with a handwarmer pocket - kindof like a hoody with no hood. Anyone know how old this might be?

A few other odds and ends - NWT commando sweater XL, Lands End green knit tie, LL Bean Maine Hunting Shoes size 9, Varvatos Mainline summer odd jacket 54

Then found this Large vintage varsity jacket - NWT. Any idea on the age on this as well?

So far so good - then flipping through the racks I found this, which elicited a low whistle...
MTM Brioni navy suit, double breasted, 6 button front, surgeon cuffs, double vented, ticket pockets, super 150s, the works. This also marked my first ever successful orphan reuniting!

Oh and what's this? You have a brother on the rack?
MTM Brioni, brown with cream pinstripe, single button, surgeon cuffs, double vented, ticket pocket, pretty outrageous.

And to top things off, a pair of Martin Maison Margiela side-zip boots. Mainline, not the H&M version. Pretty sure these are the ones that retail for around $1,000?

Shiny

Reaction score
Hooker, great stuff. I wish I could say I thrifted those Brionis, but only that Lands end tie. It's pretty great, though:

almosthandsome

Reaction score
Couple Italian squares, designs a little dated but left behind a few others even more so. Surprisingly nice Paul Fredrick 7-Fold. Ancient Madder.

Liberty Of London for Cable Car Clothiers. Is this Grenadine, gentlemen?

Vintage Gitman Bros. for Nordstrom short sleeve in very springy colors. Might keep.

Alluring PRL Clayton and it's XXL cousin found later in the day.

I finally found a dressier cane. Perfect height. Brass fittings but the head, though hollow, is quite substantial. Could be bronze? I need a magnet...

And a shout out to 1ofTheCoolKids for a stellar shoe trade!!!
cheers.gif

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I didn't see that coming, but I can dig it.

I also love H.I.M., Biggie, and female vocal eurotrance. My music tastes are quite electic.

wcl

Reaction score
PTO picked up a couple of my auctions on the roundup :slayer:.

Also found my second pair of Persols from the giant basket o'glasses on the counter

GM-H

Reaction score
I also love H.I.M., Biggie, and female vocal eurotrance. My music tastes are quite electic.
HHAHAHAHAHAHA H.I.M.???? For realz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads