1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

How the heck am I supposed to figure out what this is made out of? Tailored for someone (whose name has been removed) and there's no fabric content tags anywhere. Guess it's time to find somewhere to grab some of the fabric and burn it right? Feels like a wool/silk mix.
    [​IMG]

Also you guys have been killing it lately.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  2. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

HF seems to have a penchant for using wool/silk blends, especially in their patterned offerings under their collection label set. I'd say hold the fire and make a reasonably safe bet.

1 person likes this.
  3. joshmick

joshmick Senior member

I was thinking the exact same thing

4. wilay05

wilay05 Senior member

A thrift I hit up today does that!

5. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

6. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

7. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Mainline? Deetz? Looks delish!

8. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

Barrel: those pants are awesome!!!!!! the badness.

YRR92: yup, it's a big grey area. as many people favor brands. and there are soooo many labels. and some, while quality, have no U.S following. like "Full Count", "Kaminari", "Tedmans", Denime" and others.
    each brand is a unique style. if you get into Denim, there will be plenty to see. and something for everybody. but a crowded market either way.

my point: you need to learn the culture.(who buys what) because 90% of jeans i see are made in japan. and only 10% get my attention. it's as hard as CM.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Senior member

I've been striking out left and right with clothes so I decided to look at the LP's . Picked up these two Siouxsie and the Banshees LP's for my personal collection.

[​IMG]

They were selling the LP's for $6 each which I thought was entirely too high. I picked them up anyways because it was half off day. When I came home and took off the stickers I discovered something.

[​IMG]

and then

[​IMG]

They put the goodwill price tag right over the half-priced bookstore price tag. That made me laugh. Anyone else here like Siouxsie and the Banshees?

10. Randomore

Randomore Senior member

Club Collar black with white stitching. I actually really dig it...

Patrik Ervell

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

How does one tell? By "unlined collar", do you mean what I see on Kiton shirts, where I can see through to the canvasing? I will probably still turbo pass, since slowing down to look at every effing BB shirt will make every stop take decades.
    Guess he was as much of a pimp as that suit suggests. Or, maybe since we also established that he's only one down on a 6 pack, maybe not....
    Da. Fug?
    I just assumed he was at TJX. -- Did I ever brag about these Santonis? They're pretty sexy. 13D. Available to all you sasquatches out there. [​IMG] -- I co-opted an errand run to hit 2 stores. Something about what I was seeing -- Brioni with damage, Barbera diffusion -- I knew I was thrifting in someone's wake. Turns out, it was Fastlife. And I missed that Marinella by mere hours. But here's what I did find: Skeet [​IMG] This tie. Made in England. Maker unknown [​IMG][​IMG] This tie. Brand label wouldn't get you tumescent, but eff me if this isn't NWOT OS, and pretty well made. If you like your ties short (52) , skinny (3) and super trad, hit the PM to the left. [​IMG] Brioni with some damage. [​IMG] Luciano Barbera diffusion x2 [​IMG][​IMG] C&J for Alan McAfee [​IMG] Carroll & Co silk/wool. Will x post to label thread, but who is this? Southwick? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Best for last: Santoni. My size. Hands off. [​IMG] Also got a little guy (36) YSL that isn't brag worthy, but it is made in France, and those tend to do well on the Place That Shall Not Be Named. If anyone wants first shot, get @ me.

5 people like this.
  12. Towers

Towers Senior member

I always picture Fernando Lamas' head on top of his pics.

13. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

They're swooning over Banana Republic dresses on that thrift hunters show right now.

1 person likes this.
  14. IRKSM

IRKSM Senior member

AMAZEBALLS DICK COVERING NIB RARE
    also "thrifted" a free show at the gilman by doing merch for a friends band
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Tweets

Tweets Senior member

This might be the stupidest show ever, do these guys actually make money somehow? What good thrifter picks up items that you can do a quick ebay completed listings search on your phone and see isn't worth what you paid?

16. Timmah

Timmah Senior member

Dresses???

Women's clothes don't have resale value...

17. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

It's easy to spot a vintage BB shirt at a glance. Basically, the less stuff written on the label, the older it probably is.

By unlined, I mean without the fused interlining they use today, which kills the collar roll.

http://putthison.com/post/49779346900/dating-brooks-brothers-shirts-i-was-cleaning-up-my

18. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I like Siouxsie. Introduced to them in the late 80s via "120 Minutes" on MTV, which used to show "Cities in Dust", "Peepshow", and "Kiss Them For Me" pretty regularly. I have heard some of their early stuff too, "Hong Kong Garden" is a great track.

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Cool. Thanks, Chet. Will keep my eyes out.
    Pretty sure I have seen some older ones, and you're right, the jumped out at me as different. I had a feeling they were worth the pause, but then just plowed along as usual.

20. jcubzzz

jcubzzz Senior member

Ian Gilman is awesome. Growing up in a small Texas town at 15 I dreamed of going to Gilman. I've had the honor to play at Gilman twice. Who are you seeing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.