• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was all 4/4 cut too. It wasn't a whole lot, maybe 250 board feet with some scrap spots. He may have got me by 50-100 bucks, but his workflow to me directly affects my thrifting hours.....so.

Remember I got it for free and it's out of my way now too, so it's all good.

[Quarter sawn? Less figuring than white oak, but certainly a rare beast for Ash.]

Edit: BTW, I wasn't faulting your, or mean to suggest you got took. Just that it was a great trade all around; a perfectly efficient transaction. But still sufficiently generous of you to deserve respect.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

[Quarter sawn? Less figuring than white oak, but certainly a rare beast for Ash.]

Edit: BTW, I wasn't faulting your, or mean to suggest you got took. Just that it was a great trade all around; a perfectly efficient transaction. But still sufficiently generous of you to deserve respect.

Of course not. I didn't read it that way either.

Wouldn't know how to ship it to you though.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble loading the last few pages meaning that I've missed a couple hundred posts so congrats to everyone who found everything!

Meanwhile, I'm back from the month of deprivation aka the No Purchase Club where I managed to learn some restraint. I was in Savers yesterday and passed on a minty Ermenegildo Zegna shirt in size medium JUST BECAUSE it was a bit too large AND I left a size large $2.99 Marks and Spencer dressing gown in a cool blue striped pattern because it was far too big and it was missing the belt. I can proxy both if anyone has an interest but I'm becoming even MORE frugal so that I can buy stuff like ...

Vintage? Danner vibram soled, GoreTex lined 11D chukka leather hikers with crappy (since removed) shoelaces. I applied significant amounts of shoe polish and they came back from mild scruffiness to look like this.
:slayer:
Tips on best possible bootlaces for wearing with Levis would be appreciated!

Desert boots are fast becoming my 'go-to' footwear instead of trainers.

Also a ho-hum size 34 Martin Dingman brown calfskin dress belt with an Italian made brass roller buckle (no pics, it's a belt).

Tuesday is 20% off day and I'll be going back for my BB flat front slender fit cords in two colors if they're still there. I found them 2 weeks ago during NPC. I like my chances but if I miss them, hey, I've got other cords to wear.

Last edited:

cpmac7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone finds a case like this let me know. The tension spring in mine broke yesterday and it's making me nervous. It's the only thing that stands between my $650 investment and pure and utter destruction.

EDIT: Never mind, I felt it prudent to replace mine quickly, so I snagged on of the bay for $12.

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what happened to Barrel? I'm picturing him trapped under a mountain of selvedge unable to reach his cell phone to call for help.

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anybody know what happened to Barrel? I'm picturing him trapped under a mountain of selvedge unable to reach his cell phone to call for help.

Or Grendel.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Anyone finds a case like this let me know. The tension spring in mine broke yesterday and it's making me nervous. It's the only thing that stands between my $650 investment and pure and utter destruction.

They have excellent customer service if you give them a call. Had a pair of glasses where there was a hairline crack in the lens (the super duper light weight ones). It was a pretty common problem with these. Under $20 later (S&H, inspection, etc), I had a brand new pair in hand. I'm sure they will send you a new spring or better yet a new case if you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads