• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

despite being marked a 44 (i'm a 38), this thing more or less fits, so keeping for the time being.

Jil runs crazy slim. I'm in the same boat, tried on a 44 in a consignment shop out of curiosity and it fit. Unfortunately they were asking more than eBay prices for what seemed to be an orphan, so it was a pass. Nonetheless, insane find. Enjoy it!

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my monthly pilgrimage to a fave spot that's a 4-hour drive...usually worth it, but not always. Here's most, but not all, of what I grabbed today (all unavailable). This stuff is not from a thrift store - it's a resale shop that usually has a lot of regular stuff and occasionally some nice stuff...and they price it accordingly but every so often they under-price things, and when they do, I grab it.

Two Saddlers Union card cases, made in Italy (natch) with original Barneys New York price tags showing $210 retail. Stuffed into a way-too-big Saddlers Union bag for some reason.

Brooks Brothers reversible (?) bucket hat.

NWT Burberry Brit silk tie, made in England.

Duchamp silk tie.

Trio of NWT Tyrwhitt silk ties.

NWOT Dolce & Gabbana tie.

Paul Smith tie.

Armani tie.

Canali tie.

Odd one - "Princeton Class of 1941" tie.

NWT Etro tie.

NWT Robert Graham long sleeve shirt.

NWT Brooks Brothers short sleeve Irish linen shirt.

Brooks Brothers 1818 Madison blazer, of Ing. Loro Piana fabric.

Alfred Dunhill blazer, made in Italy.

Southwick blazer for Norton Ditto.

Jack Victor blazer.

The deal of the year (for me). Movado Vizio watch, in case, with box and manual (no tags, no warranty card). Model 0606082. Retails for $1,995 and I will break with tradition here and let you kind fellows know that I paid $xx (redacted - listing it on eBay shortly) plus tax for it.

Also picked up a very nice Burberry cashmere blend blazer, NWT Arc'teryx shirt, Uniqlo down-filled jacket for myself, down-filled vest for my sister (who wanted one for Xmas but hell if I was going to pay retail for something like that), and a few other things I am forgetting.

Last edited:

TheNeedMachine

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No thrift-thread buying (or otherwise) for me for the foreseeable, I think. We're meeting with a mortgage broker today to "go over our options," which apparently include a sweet no-money-down, no PMI, low interest deal because of I don't know.

Any advice from the homeowners in the crowd?

I bought my house in Acworth about a year ago with 3% down, and a credit score of 770. You can get legit zero-down mortgages but you still pay for that one way or another - obviously at least a bit higher monthly payment. I don't know how you're getting around not paying PMI - it's pretty much standard you'd have to pay private mortgage insurance since you're putting less than 20% down - so that seems iffy to me. The whole mortgage crisis was from folks lending money to people who they never should have - - - they are now lending money again, at low rates - to people with good credit scores, steady employment, and who can afford it, so it's not surprising one can still get a good rate and zero down...it's only the no PMI that seems off to me but maybe things have changed in the last year. My advice: get pre-approved from minimum 2 lenders, maybe 3, and shop for good rates from reputable lenders...not JimBob's Mortgage and Live Bait in Newnan. My brother-in-law is an agent at Coldwell Banker in Douglasville, though he works in other offices as well (Marietta and 1 or 2 others I think - they work where they're needed and what's closest to the property). Million-dollar seller and all that - so - if you need an agent, I don't get a kick-back or anything, and he does right by his clients.

Good luck!

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Alright fellas....I have been quiet long enough....well almost long enough. We are not travelling anywhere this weekend, for the first time in about two months. Prepare to see some catch up photos.....I may need a few more hours just to scratch the surface.
Ok....so I lied....again.

I didn't get any pics taken tonight. I did, however, clean up my inventory to be ready for processing items tomorrow. Keep the popcorn hot.

sn0wman

Reaction score
Guys, I'm Brooks Brothers Black Fleece challenged.

Never seen one in hand before and found this. Looks to be the Black Fleece Logo, but it doesn't say "Black Fleece" on it. Is it?

Thanks!

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
so like many lost young souls I started my sartorial journey by searching "menswear blog" and lo and behold I became just another pawn in the conspiracy between dan trepanier and the government to make all of our young men dress like foppish tools. luckily through perseverance and dumb luck I escaped the cult of tsb...
recently I decided to check it out again, it has gotten better many of the looks are ones that would even get you flammed on the wiwt threads for more than a few pages (some are actually quite good *gasp*) one area they have not improved at all in is readers... for instance take a look at the april giveaway
http://tsbmen.com/27411/april-giveaway-top-10-vote/
like wtf is this *unh my name is demitri I am about to go do coke off my girlfriends back in the supply closet of forever 21, she made me wear these glasses because she said they make me look like that ryan golstling dude, also check out these shoes I am wearing because I just got off my boat I parked outside, ps my shirt was made out of my grandmas tablecloth*

spoo, eazy, gmmcl, org, and most frequently posting members with access to okay cameras would win that in a heartbeat... (also I was possibly too harsh in the comments section considering I met one of them in real life and am younger than all of them...)

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sometimes a sheep hanging from a ribbon is just a sheep hanging from a ribbon

caseyfud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

spoo, eazy, gmmcl, org, and most frequently posting members with access to okay cameras would win that in a heartbeat

But then they'd have to be associated with TSB, which is not ideal

Also, I first found styleforum because I used to post on the 4chan fashion board. I guess everybody has their own path :eek:

sn0wman

Reaction score
sometimes a sheep hanging from a ribbon is just a sheep hanging from a ribbon

That's what I figured based on the feel.. was hoping Black Fleece would be better. :)
thanks!

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But then they'd have to be associated with TSB, which is not ideal

Also, I first found styleforum because I used to post on the 4chan fashion board. I guess everybody has their own path :eek:

*Insert styleforum noob progression chart thing*

TheWGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*Insert styleforum noob progression chart thing*

*creaks slowly into motion to type a post*

what is this noob progression you speak of? bah, humbug! :redx:

I actually went out and hit a store or two the other day on a lark, found an RLPL l/s shirt with a tiny hole in the front pocket for 2 bucks. Figure someone will want it.

Someday I'm going to liquidate my sort-of-massive inventory... someday...

Also, I finally got around to doing my shoe update post at long last - I know a lot of you guys don't neccessarily read MC (or didn't) so here's a link - opinions, thoughts, comments, suggestions all welcomed:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/345947/...ons-comment-on-my-shoe-collection-redux/0_100

*squeaks to a halt as oil in joints runs out*

Stewie

Reaction score
Day of thrifting...only one thing to show for it...go figure....

Made by C&J?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Question : Anyone know how old these ******s are? Couldnt leave em, thought they were cool. Didnt check completed, but did anyone have success selling old ones? Made in USA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads