• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadBoy

Reaction score

Need pics of this Cloak item. Also, dibs for this... I give you money, yes? Yes.

Also, awesome haul.

I'm in a quandary. I am having a serious jonez for those "GR by Gordon Rush" side zip boots. I've been looking for a sleek boot to wear under my 501's for nearly two years and so far, I've only found a pair of H&M boots that look blobby and aren't even real leather! The GR boots are made in China and the soles aren't stitched but I REALLY liked how they looked on my feet and at least they are real leather uppers. I didn't mention it earlier but there's also a pair of black Chelsea by the same maker that I could probably make work with some of the black pants that I have to wear for my job as well.

Sure, they'd fall apart if I wore them daily but I rarely wear the same shoes more than once a week so I'll die before they do and if they do blow up, I'm out ten bucks per pair. So what?

Also, Man of Lint will kick my a$$ on the No Purchase Club thread but ... I'm weak.

What would you do?

If you like them, they fit and they fill a hole, buy them, especially at or close to thrift prices. Ten dollars is not a huge investment.

Just a couple of finds.

Anyone heard of John McAfee. Are these church's (heels replaced)? Hard to tell the size, so if any of you guys have eyes better than me. Available, assuming we figure out the size.

Those are Alan McAfee, not John. I believe Cheaney is the maker, but could be wrong.

Also a little iffy on what that black stuff on the inside is...

Rankiz

Reaction score
What is the point in posting your thrift if you don't mention what you bought it for?...

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dolfan954

Reaction score
Those are Alan McAfee, not John. I believe Cheaney is the maker, but could be wrong.

Also a little iffy on what that black stuff on the inside is...
lol8[1].gif

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Thrift thread regulars:

I started a PM chain on Friday and within an hour or two, I'll be taking care of it. If anyone else would like to get in on it, please PM me immediately. For those that aren't in the loop, feel free to PM me for details. Sorry for being so cryptic :embar:

Thanks!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thrifted this a while ago just because it was pretty badass, but it ended up sitting in my closet for months (and needed altered) so I decided to list it today. I think this is the 4th or 5th time I've picked up one of the crappier RL lines just because it was a nice looking piece and it always paid off. Fetched $80 about an hour after listing it :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230967399255?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the point in posting your thrift if you don't mention what you bought it for?...

What is the point of posting a comment about the pointlessness of not posting what a particular item was purchased for? What is the point of anything. Why do I have a penis. If a narwhale and a pony ********, what happens? A unicorn? How is calamari made? If Ted Cruz died in a forest, would anyone care?

The point, I think:
Go down this road too far, brother
You'll never be able to come back.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The prices just aren't that interesting to hear about—unless maybe they are unusually low ($2 for a Kiton suit). Most of the time, it's understood that the prices are within the usual thrift shop ranges ($10–$30 for a suit, $5–$20 for a jacket, etc.)

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Quote:
I highly recommend keeping it. If it fits like you say then you wont come across something like that again in a long time. I havent found a sport coat or suit that I did not need to tailor. There is plenty of ebay fodder to be had out there.
As mentioned, current label and I would 110% keep that if it fits.... They are NICE suits!! What are you going to do with the money you sell that one for, buy 5 Men's Warehouse suits which you won't be happy with?

baldy[1].gif

Brianpore

Reaction score
Thrift thread regulars:

I started a PM chain on Friday and within an hour or two, I'll be taking care of it. If anyone else would like to get in on it, please PM me immediately. For those that aren't in the loop, feel free to PM me for details. Sorry for being so cryptic
shog[1].gif

Thanks!
+1 If you are a thread regular you should PM him now
cheers.gif

txwoodworker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate the escalation. I was happy with J C Penny's, then oohhhh look at all the cool stuff at Men's Wearhouse, now I'm wearing a $1000 sport coat and fear there is no turning back. My official reason for thrifting is to make my net purchases for clothes $0, so I buy and sell, then I can go to the men's store and get what I want. I started making halfway decent $, now my goal is to make the entire family's clothing purchases net 0. This would go a long way to reaching that goal. Maybe I will hold onto it for a while and sell it when it is no longer a novelty, or I find another.

IRKSM

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I hate the escalation. I was happy with J C Penny's, then oohhhh look at all the cool stuff at Men's Wearhouse, now I'm wearing a $1000 sport coat and fear there is no turning back. My official reason for thrifting is to make my net purchases for clothes $0, so I buy and sell, then I can go to the men's store and get what I want. I started making halfway decent $, now my goal is to make the entire family's clothing purchases net 0. This would go a long way to reaching that goal. Maybe I will hold onto it for a while and sell it when it is no longer a novelty, or I find another.
lightning rarely strikes twice my friend especially in a fashion as spectacular as this, if I were you I would keep it and wear it into the ground after all it cost you what $10? when it eventually gets ruined you are only out the amount you paid for it not the amount you could potentially make off of it especially since I don't think clothes can be considered financial assets...

Brianpore

Reaction score
This was my goal also as everything I find does not fit, BUT you will find enough stuff that does not fit to sell/trade if you want. Keep the stuff that does fit if you like it!

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A HUGE thanks to everyone that sent me a PM. I've been in my inbox since I posted that as every time I sent out a PM, I got a new one. I'll send out info soon. However, a person with the initials RM is involved and I don't have your SF username from previous PMs/secret santa. I have an idea, but if your real initials are RM, would you mind PMing me to confirm your username? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads