1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Part of the fun about a used clothing business is you can buy used clothes as an expense, no spouse authorization necessary. :teach:

Show me show me show me how you do that thing

1 person likes this.
  2. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

So he's getting a tattoo yeah, he's getting it done. He asked for a 13, but he got a 31?

3. hooker4186

hooker4186 Senior member

SWD dudes - is NWT BLK DNM worth kopping?

1 person likes this.
  4. suited

suited Senior member

Sock Talk:

I've gone on obsessive quests for the perfect dress sock that is reasonably priced. I know some people like loud or varying sock patterns, but I hate matching/sorting socks, so I buy 12-15 pairs of the same sock in a solid color (charcoal) so I don't have to sort and match.

I just bought 12 pairs of these when they were $17.50 a pair if you purchased them in increments of 6. The SA also gave me the 15% corporate discount on top of that (after she told me she couldn't, no idea how that worked out), so they worked out to be around $14.70 each.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Merin...ized-Over-the-Calf-Socks/003D,default,pd.html

Prior to this I was wearing Gold Toe over-the-calf socks that were cotton. I found 15 pairs of them in a solid color at a tj maxx for $1.00 a piece - this was several years ago and I just replaced them recently. They were still going strong, no holes yet, but the color had faded from being washed and put in the dryer countless times. I've come to realize that finding 12-15 pairs of over-the-calf dress socks in a solid staple color for $1.00 a piece isn't going to happen again, so I had to pony up some cash.

I decided to switch over to wool. You may or may not know some of this information, but I'll post it anyway. Let me save you the trouble of searching forums - you're going to hear that wool is better in the winter, and others will say wool is better in the summer. There is no consensus. The truth is that wool can be worn year round. It breathes, wicks moisture, and provides cushioning. It's not too hot to wear during the summer. I hand wash my wool socks and hang dry them. The thought of having to hand wash socks and hang dry them originally pushed me away from wool, but it's actually much easier than it sounds. Putting them in the dryer will damage them.

I highly recommend socks that come in specific sizes. Nordstrom makes some, and the BB socks I linked above also come in sizes. If you go the BB route, I wear a size 10 dress shoe and went with a size 11.5 sock and it's the perfect fit, so size up.

Howard Yount has some good deals on socks, especially the pairs that are on sale. The trick is finding enough inventory. I always buy 12-15 pairs so I don't put too much wear and tear on each individual pair.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

what can i give the guy who has everything?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bet he doesn't have one of these............. fun, as promised. watching it in a local thrift. will grab it on thursday. if gone i can still deliver....
    is this approved spoo?

1 person likes this.
  6. SCoNE

SCoNE Senior member

Was also watching that gorgeous Macclesfield... nice buy!
    Just make sure you either bid the absolute highest you're willing to pay or be prepared for this to happen. I might throw in a bid early on an item but other than that, I won't bid again until about 15 seconds before the end. I feel it is a legitimate strategy and I am not using any sniping software to make it happen. Its just a way of limiting the potential for people to get caught up in the moment and up-bid more than they originally planned to in the last moments. It's also a surprising rush.

The downside is that if I don't bid more than the person's max bid, I don't get it. If my computer lags, I don't get it. If someone else bids in the last moment seconds before me and the same or more money, I don't get it. So it's not like there aren't risks.

In other news, just got this for much less than asking price:

Barbour Cassells Dept. B - http://www.ebay.com/itm/171222656541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

[​IMG]

Tried it on in the store and fell in love. Fits much slimmer than typical Barbour, so for my 6'4" 190 pound self it was much better than a Beaufort/Bedale which would have to be about 6" too big in the chest to have long enough sleeves. Contemplated actually buying it at retail cost with my Christmas bonus, but figured I'd put that toward loans and try my luck waiting for one on eBay.

Made in Bulgaria which is disappointing, but hopefully it's still Barbour standard quality and will last a good long while. I need to research tracking chips to put in it for when I'm out at the bars....

*Edit: typo

1 person likes this.
  7. JackFlash

JackFlash Senior member

Pantherella from STP. Sign up for their deal filer. You can stack discounts and get socks for an excellent price. Navy wool and cotton OTCs are about as staple and conservative as you can get. Note, though, that Pantherella socks are not heavy and thick. Some people like this, others don't.

8. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

You should post better pictures in this thread. Also, deetz on that quilted polo tie? It looks crazy.

3 people like this.
  9. ridethecliche

Excuse the quick pics, but picked up something yesterday when I was out returning a few things.

Burberry London Windowpane houndstooth jacket in a 42L. It's made by HF.

[​IMG]

First jacket I've found with these guys.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Passed on this sweater. Bad pass or meh?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

^^ That's a joke, right?

2 people like this.
  11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I hear you, and I agree about the nostalgia factor, but they're more right about the value of the cards than you are.

.... unless we're talking about a 1990 Topps Frank Thomas NNOF or something, which you would never be able to pull from a pack.

12. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

My personal favorite was the '89 Fleer Billy Ripken "FF" card... But yeah, I'm happy I can make up for all the wasted investment into cards now.

13. size 38R

size 38R Senior member

oh well, guess i'll stick to transformers and games...... and vinyls.

good to know.

14. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

Is there such a thing as a mannequin for larger clothes, like size 44 or so? I've been looking but have not located anything.

15. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Senior member

What should I call this skeet? Patchwork Afterbirth?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  16. ridethecliche

Guessing that was for the donegal sweater?

If it had cables or any other 'aran' -esque texture to it, I would have grabbed it. I know spoo just sold one of these last month. I definitely thought about it for a while though.

The lack of those made me hesitate since I thought that the value came from not just the wool but also that style of sweater. I would have grabbed it if it was my size. Probably shoulda grabbed to proxy here as well. Next time!

17. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

People like their Irish sweaters in classic style. Ugly doesn't sell.

1 person likes this.
  18. Doktor Corn

Doktor Corn Active Member

The seller is in Lorton, Virginia.

19. ridethecliche

Yeah.

I was with my little sister. Her comment was "That's a great ugly sweater!". Then she bought a tennis sweater to wear as a dress... Haha.

20. eazye

eazye Senior member

Agreed, that sweater is terrible. Good pass.

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.