• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Ralph Lauren experts out there? I found this sweater at Marshall's, but a bunch of things seem off.

First: The hangtag is obviously for a RLBL sweater. The size said Large, and the price was $195. I think a store employee just tied this random tag onto the sweater, because it wasn't attached, it was literally tied onto the sweater tag.

Secondly: The actual tag is for a Ralph Lauren Purple Label 100% wool sweater, in size XL. Now I'm no fabric expert, but the sweater feels very much like a cashmere sweater. I own cheaper cashmere and cheaper wool, and this feels much closer to the cashmere. I realize that expensive wool can feel just as soft as cheap cashmere, but this sweater was sort of "cool to the touch of my hand". I've always interpreted that as cashmere, especially when thrifting.

Third and Finally: This sweater definitely doesn't seem sized as an XL. The chest measures to 20.5", shoulders are 17.75", and the sleeves are 24.75".

I guess I'm really wondering what it is that I have here? It can always be returned if it's fake, but on the other hand, it fits pretty well.

Thanks in advanced!

-Brian

Looks legit to me. And like you said it's 100% wool, not Cashmere, but you would expect RLPL to use excellent wool which may be why it feels so nice. If it were a fake I'd assume they'd prefer to say Cashmere due to the higher associated price. It would make no sense to make it out of Cashmere and call it out as Wool.
If it fits and feels quality who cares? Keep it!

Last edited:

FaceOfBoh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey brosephs.

I have been and will be mostly absent and sporadic at best for the next few months.

While we were out of town, my daughter (yes, three daughters) came very early at 28 weeks. And the complications that caused it nearly took my wife (inorite? What is this, 1613??). So we are laid up with my incredibly strong and resilient wife recovering and my baby in the nicu.

Please send thoughts, prayers and whatever you believe in; we're out of the woods, but it will be a long and windy road home.

But most of all, keep poasting awesome stuff. Thrifting will be a rare treat, and posting even rarer. So I will live vicariously through you guys for a while.

But don't think this gives ANYONE permission to fish my waters, or that it any way negates my permadibs on 42R, 36 x 30, 16.5 x 34, 10.5-11D.

As with everyone else, hang in there and best wishes. Now's the time to spoil the two little ones that are at home (and your wife too). NICU nurses and docs are some of the most passionate people you could meet - I know it'll work out fine.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some finds from over the w/e I haven't had a chance to post...

First these are new or NWOT and acquired at steeply discounted prices:

Two pairs of NWT tags Jack Spade Twill Khakis in size 34 in Dark Khaki...retail $165 on the tag...the Jack Spade website now has them listed at $175.00 .... Available

A pair of NWOT J Brand Darren in size 30 in Canyon.... Available

Now to thrift finds...

Not 1, not 2, but 3 pairs of 40x33 Bills Khakis cords with dry cleaning tags on them. I'll probably keep one pair and sell the other two.

And two cool Civil War Grant/Lee prints....

almosthandsome

Reaction score
NICU nurses and docs are some of the most passionate people you could meet - I know it'll work out fine.
+1
About 6 months ago the wife and I were getting our tour of the maternity section at the hospital our daughter would be born at (our first.) During the course of it I find out the nurse guiding the tour got her start 30 years prior working the NICU at the hospital I was born at. Weighing just 2 pounds at birth without lungs developed and a laundry list of other premi-problems, I was one of her first charges. Wasn't exactly the dark ages back then, but I came out fine. These people have a passion for kiddos and moms and the tech is simply amazing now. You guys are in great hands.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All these high-end denim finds are killing me....

All I pulled today were a few shirts and a pair of shorts.

Skeet Rag #5... XXL, last one in this size was a pretty penny.

Orvis Camp Shirt -Linen/Cotton blend -Medium

Pen West short sleeve shirt (vintage large)

Orvis Camp Shirt -Cotton -Medium

Izod Madras shorts for myself...

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Help. At some point I read some piece on SF or elsewhere about searching for buttons on eBay for sport coats. found buttons, bought them, etc. This article explained what search operators would narrow things down.

I need 2 sets right now for a couple coats...and Jo-Ann sucks.

I've bought sets in the past on eBay! But when I search tonight, it's all lots for coats bragging about the buttons in the listing titles. How to I narrow the x thousand lots down to show actual button lots?

Thank you.

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Help. At some point I read some piece on SF or elsewhere about searching for buttons on eBay for sport coats. found buttons, bought them, etc. This article explained what search operators would narrow things down.

I need 2 sets right now for a couple coats...and Jo-Ann sucks.

I've bought sets in the past on eBay! But when I search tonight, it's all lots for coats bragging about the buttons in the listing titles. How to I narrow the x thousand lots down to show actual button lots?

Thank you.
Narrow the search under the sewing categories. That's where I list them when I have them.

hooker4186

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of ridiculous thrift prices, I saw an Express blazer at a thrift today for $49.99. WTF.

Friskydingo

Reaction score

I live a couple hours south of Orlando, and admittedly I don't know the landscape up there at all. I've thrifted in all of South FL from Miami to Palm Beach, and then Naples and Tampa, but never Orlando. I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with.

I'm hoping to make it too south florida for some thrifting one of these days, but don't hold your breath for thrift finds from up here. Maybe a thrift meet up?

I think with larger cities you have to contend with more flippers.
Same here in NY, never anything decent, grabbed up, gotta go all the time.

Well this is probably true for a lot of cities, but portland has a population of 580,00 and Orlando has 238,00. Orlando also has more high end stores, maybe I just haven't hit the right stores yet.

Hopefully the prices are better in Orlando at least. Whenever I visit family in Portland, I see crazy high prices at the Goodwills: $150 worn-out Allen Edmonds, $100 1990s Zegna orphans, $80 denim. Maybe those Kiton jeans slipped under the pricers' radar, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hefty "boutique" price tag.

You are totally right about out of control pricers at goodwill in Oregon. Every single item is individually priced, and I have seen some INSANE prices on stuff (they must think Pendleton is pure gold). A lot of really good stuff slips through the cracks though. Kiton jeans were $6.99 and so were the Rogans. The only thing they regularly catch is Versace stuff, in my experience.

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
GMMcL,
Congrats on the new arrival and prayers forthcoming for a quick and speedy recovery. Tell your wife to take it easy esp. when they let her go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads