• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy

Reaction score
My wife and I saw a documentary last night that I thought might be relevant here. It was called T-Shirt Travels. It was about the situation in Zambia (though filmed 10+ years ago) and it talks about American and European thrift donations and how they end up in Africa. It follows one used clothing salesman and also discusses the economic situation of the country. Anyway, it was really interesting and I would suggest checking it out. As with anything pointed, take it all with a grain of salt.

Excellent, Hans — there's a free view of this online:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Excellent, Hans — there's a free view of this online:

Thanks for the link! My wife put it on our AppleTV, but I wasn't sure where she sourced it. It's about 50% Zambian economy, 50% used clothing trade. Interesting to see...kids wearing Euro Disney shirts and NBA stuff. At the least, it gives you something to bring up at the office tomorrow!

scatterbrain

Reaction score
Allllllright. So this thread got me out and thrifting.

I am in Toronto, so quality finds are rare. But this is what I've found thus far:

1) A 3-button sports jacket made here in Canada for Harry Rosen by a company called Sedgewick. I have never heard of them before, but the jacket feels great, and is tailored for a trimmer fit through the waist and hips. I like it a lot.

The jacket takes on various shades of blue depending on the lighting:

2) A 2-button sports jacket made by Coppley (also Canadian). Shoulders fit me perfectly, but I don't know exactly what to wear it with. After I got it home, I found a small hole that had been previously repaired by the back vent (moth?). Had I known, I probably wouldn't have bought it. As an aside, what would you guys wear with this? I liked the pattern when in the store, but I don't know how to use it. The pattern causes this weird optical illusion where the white parts begin to look yellowish.

And the hole repair which I somehow failed to notice:

It wasn't this obvious in the store, I swear!

3) A 2-button black wool/cashmere blend Strellson jacket. Again, fits trimmer through the body. It is very soft and warm.

4) A Hugo Boss dress shirt with French cuffs. Like new. Still had a dry cleaning tag on it. Boss shirts fit me perfectly!
biggrin.gif

5) A Brooks Brothers slim fit button-down shirt. It looks like new on the outside. The only sign of wear is a very slight discoloration on the inside tag.

6) My favourite - I found these old shoes for $15. The soles are pretty worn out, and the insoles are worn as well, but the upper has stood up well to time. If anyone could help me determine who made these, I would appreciate it. They fit my foot well. I am also strangely attracted ot the sense of history that the shoe has.

Soles are worn:

As are insoles:

Can you make out any of the writing? This is the best pic I could get. There is no paint left on the mark - just the imprint. It looks like the insignia had a crown and then the capital letter "B".

I assume that this is a new heel. I googled the term "schoemmakers sinds 1734" and couldn't find anything.

I like the shape. I think they're graceful. My feet are pretty wide, so it's rare for a shoe to be wide enough for my foot yet look proportional.

There are holes here as if lacing would go through the sole itself, but the sole does not appear to have been penetrated by a thread. I do not undersand why these marks are here. Is this a sign that they glued thread in to make it look like a more expensive shoe, and the glue let go? Or were these resoled with a different construction method? Did they never have any thread?

EDIT: Update! I did more searching, and I think they're made by Van Bommel - a Dutch shoe company. :)

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, I don't usually sell stuff for other people....but, my wife's boss was forced into buying some ties over the years by the manufacturers of the golf carts they sell. He wanted to send me a box of the unworn tied to see if I could recoup some of the money spent.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So, I don't usually sell stuff for other people....but, my wife's boss was forced into buying some ties over the years by the manufacturers of the golf carts they sell. He wanted to send me a box of the unworn tied to see if I could recoup some of the money spent.
Jesus... if Duchamp is any indication, youre going to be rich.

scatterbrain

Reaction score

Wow. I like that the last one is labelled "The Boardroom."

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A few items of note today.

Pendleton Board shirt -1970s vintage
Pendleton shirt jac of some sort
Marmot soft shell
North Face Mtn Light (I'm 80% sure it's legit and mid-90s. Need to research)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads