• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I finally got around to taking pictures of what I scooped up today, if there's anything you want PM me...some of the stuff I bought to trade or lend a hand because I couldn't pass them up. How did I do this time around thrifting?

Calvin Klein Black Suit- Finally picked one up and it fits really well. I'll get it tailored and hoard it. Staple right?

I also picked up this Brooks Brothers Jacket and Brooks Brothers White Dress Shirt. Both fit me really well, and I love the jacket. The shirt, although made in Malaysia fits well and feels well made. Both are staples right?

I love this coat too, I think it's vintage...what do you fellas think. I won't have much use for it here in Miami, but the wool lining comes out and makes the coat lighter. Maybe I'll use it when it rains. The wool lining covers up the pattern on the inside.

I picked both of these up, and they fit (the pink is Polo and I'll have to go unbuttoned). The white one is Christian Dior, with french cuffs I believe. Some staining I noticed when I got home, but I think its dirty not stained. Is this a good Dior pickup? I'm not a fan of the cufflink look so it's available if someone wants it- it's 17 1/2, 34 inch sleeve.

Also got these Sperry's in my size. Decent enough shape.
The second pair, the brown one--- are the ones I bought yesterday that others said weren't worth thrifting. I had soles laying around, and polished them up. I think they look good.

THIS SECTION IS FOR TRADE, or For Sale- which ever you prefer. I need a decent pair of black dress shoes in a 10.5 E or 11 E, and could use a coat in a 48 or XL. I also need a good watch but I'm not holding my breath.

This Giorgio Armani Coat I bought to trade or sell, if someone wants it and wants to make an offer. Its a 44R but I'll double check if someone is interested. It looks good, but it could use a dry clean and the bottom hem finished up again. Might have been new and unfinished, because I have no clue what that button holder sticker is on it.

I saw these Stuart Mcguires while the Haitian Sensation was knocking all the shoes off the rack into her cart at the end. The dirty look she gave me when I grabbed the right when her arm went up to knock another row of dress shoes was priceless. I did that three more times....to hell with her. Anyone know what size they are--- size 7?

I'd like to trade these for a size 10.5 E or 11 E in a black dress shoe, I'd like Allen Edmonds but beggers can't be choosers. Maybe someone is down for a swap.

I picked up these Brooks Brothers shirts too- one is made in USA I believe in a Slim Fit- the tags are pictured. For trade. I'm a 17 1/2 - 18 33/34 shirt.

This coat I have no clue about, it's for trade also. I could use a regular jacket or another coat in a 48 or XL. Anyone recognize the brand? This coat measures about 21-22 from under one arm to the other. I believe that would make this a 42-44.

This Ralph Lauren Jacket I bought to match a week ago, but found the black suit today so it's not needed. Someone wants it it's yours for not much. It's a 48R, in a dark charcoal. I could trade it for another coat if your inclined, I could use something white or khaki.

Sorry man, but I have to agree with the other gents. Everything is crap except for your interesting story. I got a kick out of that! Thanks!

On second thought, I prolly would pick up the Burberry...Nah, on third thought, I would prolly just stared on it for about 10 seconds and pass. But nice try though! Keep trucking!

Also, the only Ralph Lauren you should pick up from now on is RLPL (some by St. Andrews), RLBL (Some by Caruso), RRL, and some PRL (made in Italy by Corn. while the older made in USA is by ?). I'm thinking the Italian made ones > USA made? Some Rugby stuff is pretty cool if you like to beat them around town. Also, if you find some made in England RLPL shoes those are made by Edward Green! Yeeehhhhh!

Anyhow, use google and SF. Most likely, all the answers to your "who made what" questions are on there!

Forgot to mention, LRL isn't RL so avoid at all cost.

Update: Looked around on SF and found some information on the made in USA Polo. From the 70's to 90's the line was made in RL factories before sourcing them to Corn.

Update #2: I have way too much time on my hands...Anyhow, did a quick search and found out Peerless Clothing make for Lauren Ralph Lauren (owned by Jones, NY), also make for Calvin Klein, Sean John, DKNY, and Donald J. Trump Signature Collection...Yikes!
ffffuuuu.gif

Source: http://www.peerless-clothing.com/home.htm

Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dibs 42R

Edit: Picked up a few Carroll & Co ties (available), plus a freaking pristine handmade Sciunnach (hadn't heard of it, but quality was unmistakable) wool tie in a cool gunmetal blue (unavailable).
But the finds of the day were a pair of beige flat front trou and unbelievable windowpane plaid SC, both Isaia, at a high-end consignment shot on THE DAY they went half price. Still dropped coin, but just wait till you see the pics on these. Hope to shoot shots tomorrow.

Dibs if it's a 38R. :D

Yes, the Dior is crap. And please, please stop posting your "hauls" until you've read the last 4,000+ pages. Sorry to sound like an ass, but everything you've posted has been answered time and time again in this thread and I'm tired of looking at the same garbage I see at my daily spots.

+1000000, I might have been drunk last night when I said "go back and read this thread from the beginning", but that's the truth. It's a great read! Also, unless you plan on going to a funeral, don't pick up black suits, otherwise you will look like you should be at a funeral.

Last edited:

tubby34

Reaction score
I'll go through and try to read the older pages, when I have a chance. I should have been a bit more picky but some of the stuff was really well priced and worth the gamble.

As far as the funeral/ black suit thing... That's actually why I got it. Something more formal that I can use when the occasion calls for it. I have two gray suits and a navy ill use, before ill ever think about the black.

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dibs if it's a 38R.
biggrin.gif

+1000000, I might have been drunk last night when I said "go back and read this thread from the beginning", but that's the truth. It's a great read! Also, unless you plan on going to a funeral, don't pick up black suits, otherwise you will look like you should be at a funeral.

+1

I'll go through and try to read the older pages, when I have a chance. I should have been a bit more picky but some of the stuff was really well priced and worth the gamble.

As far as the funeral/ black suit thing... That's actually why I got it. Something more formal that I can use when the occasion calls for it. I have two gray suits and a navy ill use, before ill ever think about the black.

FYI, black was the traditional color for funerals. Lately, it's acceptable to wear grey, charcoal, and even navy suits to funerals. Black is a very formal color. I would own a tux for all the black tie, formal events before I would own a black suit. But that's just me and this is coming from a guy who own nothing but loud SCs...
shog[1].gif

Last edited:

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, I got married in a black suit... Wanted to get something that wasn't a one-time use thing.

Now that suit doesn't fit me. I now own suits by Burberrys (gray), Brooks Brothers (charcoal), and whatever that cheapo one I got married in was (bought at retail too, the horror!). I'm still working on a navy one. The thing is, that I don't really need another one. In my industry, if I show up for an interview in any sort of suit, I will stand out above everyone else!

Randomore

Reaction score
Just a couple Pan socks from TJX 5 bucks a pop on clearance. I did see a ton of Versace ties on clearance for 40 a piece that I passed on and a Tumi wallet marked down from 200 to 25, didnt like it so I passed. I also saw a couple dozen super skinny ties from BB that were marked as irregular, I could not for the life of me find a fault to them, they wanted 6 each. Zero suits, coats or anything worth a damn.

chiron

Reaction score
Hey fellas,
I finally got around to taking pictures of what I scooped up today, if there's anything you want PM me...some of the stuff I bought to trade or lend a hand because I couldn't pass them up. How did I do this time around thrifting?

By looking at your haul you are looking in the wrong part of Miami.

Also, check this thread out "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions".

If its worth selling its worth wearing.
crackup[1].gif

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Wow, I don't know what to say!
My first Brioni jacket.....
Wes, that Brioni is beautiful....love the silk texture. Is that really your first Brioni?
Suck it brand new tux pockets still sewed shut 10.99 will post more pics later but as of now I am freaking out because I took my friend to thrift with me and was teaching him about it and he said is dries can noten good and I basically **** my pants he also found a Loro piana orphan he is lucky as hell (couldn't find pants so we passed)
Ian, I don't mean to make small complaints as it's the internet and an informal board. You're a regular poster and I'm sure your posts contain good information, but I catch myself skimming or skipping them because they're so poorly written. You've mentioned your education/university plans occasionally, so I'm sure you're capable of using some capitalization, punctuation, and possibly breaking up your thoughts with spaces. Without that, your posts are a chore to read. I really don't mean to pick on you and you're not writing for me alone, so feel free to entirely ignore the advice and continue!
That's really a great looking suit and it sounds like you got a great deal on it!
In all honesty, if you're searching for yourself, it can be as painless as walking into your first store or you might end up going to stores for weeks without anything. The trick is to keep at it and know what can and should be done to a suit/odd jacket by a tailor. A good reference for what a tailor can do can be found at Put This On, which is a really great resource for anything clothing related (Young American on SF). It's also a good guide to thread vets that haven't had much experience having clothes tailored: http://putthison.com/post/7807163078/q-and-answer-how-much-can-my-clothes-be-altered My advice: Stick around and find out what brands/styles everyone loves. You'll soon figure out what people want and are willing to trade. Read or skim through this thread's recent history to see what brands are popular. Once you start seeing things in stores, pick them up and attempt to trade with other members. You'll find what you're looking for and in your size a lot faster by networking here than trying to do it alone. The trick is to make yourself known within the thread. What's that mean? Offer up items to trade regularly. Try to answer your own questions by clicking on "search this thread" and not asking the same dior/ysl questions that have been asked 100+ times. Try to follow the protocol in regards to making sales within the thread. Inevitably, you'll bring home some crap that people will point out that is dated, diffusion line, worn out, or otherwise worthless. It's all part of the learning curve. Enjoy it and welcome!
I picked both of these up, and they fit (the pink is Polo and I'll have to go unbuttoned). The white one is Christian Dior, with french cuffs I believe. Some staining I noticed when I got home, but I think its dirty not stained. Is this a good Dior pickup? I'm not a fan of the cufflink look so it's available if someone wants it- it's 17 1/2, 34 inch sleeve.
Those are the type of questions that I meant you could find in a quick search. I asked the question yesterday as a joke...I knew what I had simply because the Dior label has been posted and reposted 1000 times. There are over 60,000 posts in this thread and there is a ton of info contained.
Dibs if it's a 38R. :D +1000000, I might have been drunk last night when I said "go back and read this thread from the beginning", but that's the truth. It's a great read! Also, unless you plan on going to a funeral, don't pick up black suits, otherwise you will look like you should be at a funeral.
By looking at your haul you are looking in the wrong part of Miami. Also, check this thread out "What I'm Selling on eBay" - member auctions". If its worth selling its worth wearing.
crackup%5B1%5D.gif
I don't want to pile on, but what they said is correct. Spend a bit more time on here and on SF in general. Even if you only want to be able to dress a bit more grown up, take a look at some of the very informative threads in Classic Menswear. Take a look at the pictures in the WARW threads to get a sense of what you like. It will be far easier having a sense of what quality is and what you want.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Yes, the Dior is crap. And please, please stop posting your "hauls" until you've read the last 4,000+ pages. Sorry to sound like an ass, but everything you've posted has been answered time and time again in this thread and I'm tired of looking at the same garbage I see at my daily spots.
+1

PLEASE try to read the old pages and learn a little before posting more hauls. You're going to find that you will get less and less "help" in this thread the longer you keep posting crap. The 1st few times people will help, but they they will start to ignore you if it continues. Someone comes around every few weeks like this. Some pan out (DM7) but most leave quickly. As you'll note, this is the bragging thread not the "teach me how to thrift thread"

Last edited:

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That linen Borrelli, prolly an orphan corneliani but will be checking for those pants, hounds PRL, PS in that staple white, anyone like southwick? It's a 40ish (prolly like a 26 sleeve), that super-mint vtg brooks brothers navy, and finally BB cashmere blend cable knit with those tags in my size:

Last edited:

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ian, I don't mean to make small complaints as it's the internet and an informal board. You're a regular poster and I'm sure your posts contain good information, but I catch myself skimming or skipping them because they're so poorly written. You've mentioned your education/university plans occasionally, so I'm sure you're capable of using some capitalization, punctuation, and possibly breaking up your thoughts with spaces. Without that, your posts are a chore to read.

I really don't mean to pick on you and you're not writing for me alone, so feel free to entirely ignore the advice and continue!
That's really a great looking suit and it sounds like you got a great deal on it!

Awesome.

I write this off to the downward spiral of communication. I have no doubt that Ian is a smart guy who can write well, but for people not to far removed from my age, I think text speak (and I get that this isn't really text speak, but it is a close sibling) rules the day when in informal settings.

But maybe I'm just full of it.

I'm feeling old this morning.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Wes, that Brioni is beautiful....love the silk texture. Is that really your first Brioni?

Thanks Hans.

First Brioni jacket. Have only found pants and tie before.

Interestingly. Prior to Jan 1, 2013 I had never seen a single piece of Brioni (except for the French cuff shirt Dig traded to me that I wear on special occasions). On New Years Day I hit up my fav out of town GW and found two pairs of Brioni pants. They were at the same GW I found the Ricci pants. Apparently it was one huge tax donation as the Brionis and Riccis were all the same size. Wish i had found some suits along with all that. Going back next weekend.

All together now since Jan 1, I have found 3 pairs of pants, two ties and now this jacket.

The jacket was found on the weirdest spot yesterday in the middle of Amish PA. Go figure.

Last edited:

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Here are some of the pictures from yesterday. It's only a fraction of what I brought home, but a lot of things are uninteresting for the thread.

Ties:

L-R: Drake's, Etro, Zegna, Gucci. I don't know about the Gucci. The tie keeper was coming off and there is no content tag. Is this vintage Gucci or a fake? I'm not into more than .25, so it won't be heartbreaking if it's fake.

A bunch of wool ties. I found piles of them on the cheap, so I just grabbed a bunch. I particularly like the one on the far right in the first photo. Various makers, mostly Austrian and Scottish.

Holliday & Brown, Unlined silk, Firemen helmets for Holt Renfrew, Mark Stephen Marengo

Jackets:

The most interesting Canali that I've seen. It's my size, so I intend to wear it as soon as it warms up. Unlined thin cotton. Madras(?)

Finally, my Pièce de résistance...a full Dior suit. Pants not pictured. It's a 53% wool, 47% silk blend. The serial number begins with a 3, so I believe that means it's from 2003? I know next to nothing on Dior, so any help in the way of useful info would be appreciated. The pants have been hemmed to a normal length with the unfinished edge left intact. Pockets of the suit are basted shut.

The following is a short recap of the day with pictures. I spoilered it in case you're not interested.
I didn't spend any time in the city center or at any of the sites, so I only took a few pictures. Next time I'm in Vienna, I'll try to get better shots. Overall, it was a hectic day constantly on the move. Each time I do these one day thrifting trips, I get better and more efficient. This time I had mapped out about 12 stores and ended up getting to 10 or 11. I walked a lot with a full rucksack and ended up a bit sore today.

As I mentioned before, it would have been pointless to try to drive and find a parking spot at each of the places, so I took a train and used public transportation/walked within the city to each of the places. Train left at 6:25, so I arrived around 9:00am in Vienna. I had warm weather and was actually sweating under my jacket.

First store I hit, I met an older woman that was a volunteer. Incredibly nice and she was handing me things to take. Everything was on sale for €1 and she told me that I have to come back next time I was in Vienna. I really think that they deal with so many impolite people that they were willing to throw discounts just for being polite and making conversation.

I left quite a few things that I would have loved to have picked up if it weren't for the price. A number of Dunn hats and overcoats and this:

A beautiful, vintage, handmade SILK velvet smoking jacket with giant pearl buttons. Fit me well, but they knew what they had and was therefore expensive.

I think an Italian shop must have closed and everything was donated. I saw PILES of nice Italian clothes that were from the 1950s, all NOS. It included a number of robes as well. I was trying to get the basics from the Italian-only tags. I need to brush up on my Italian vocab :embar:

This suit was another pass. It was a bit pricey, but I was excited to see the Attolini label. On second glance, I saw it wasn't the familiar C Attolini, but rather V Attolini. Super 150s, but it was too expensive and I knew it wasn't exactly Cesar. Later found out it's a well-made knockoff.

An interesting store that I didn't have time to visit. It looked like they had furniture and books inside, but the sign was what caught my attention...

Quick street shots when I remembered that I should take a few photos. The sticks against the buildings warn you of snow/ice that is melting and falling. We use these and flags as warnings.

I had lunch at a Viennese Gasthaus. It was great food and nearly empty. I had homemade potato pancakes covered in pork gulasch.

Quick shots from the tram of Parliament.

This was my last stop of the day, 20 minutes before they closed. I try to get to this place every time I go to Vienna. The clothes are expensive, but it's a guarantee to find some decent names. Not flipping prices, but great if it's for personal use. The best part, though, is that they have a couple of giant warehouses of furniture, electronics, home goods, etc. I love going to look through it. I didn't have time to get through any of it this round, unfortunately.

I try to make it to Vienna every couple of months, but I think I'm going to try to do this once a month, time permitting. If anyone is ever interested in thrifting in Vienna, please send me a PM!

jcb9

Reaction score
Awesome.

I write this off to the downward spiral of communication. I have no doubt that Ian is a smart guy who can write well, but for people not to far removed from my age, I think text speak (and I get that this isn't really text speak, but it is a close sibling) rules the day when in informal settings.

I am nearly 30 so I feel I straddle the line between the Gen Y and Millenial generations. My first cell phone was when I was 16 and it was a giant Nokia brick. Instant messaging came out long before that and grammar, etc. had already begun to deteriorate online. I can say that after college, having to use proper spelling and grammar in the workplace reversed whatever deterioration had occurred in my writing style. I assume the same will be true for Ian. It is a cultural and generational phenomenon that is temporary. Professionals will never stand for shorthand in formal written word, whether a simple memo internally or a published work.

Hope this helps.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Thanks Hans.

First Brioni jacket. Have only found pants and tie before.

Interestingly. Prior to Jan 1, 2013 I had never seen a single piece of Brioni (except for the French cuff shirt Dig traded to me that I wear on special occasions). On New Years Day I hit up my fav out of town GW and found two pairs of Brioni pants. They were at the same GW I found the Ricci pants. Apparently it was one huge tax donation as the Brionis and Riccis were all the same size. Wish i had found some suits along with all that. Going back next weekend.

All together now since Jan 1, I have found 3 pairs of pants, two ties and now this jacket.

The jacket was found on the weirdest spot yesterday in the middle of Amish PA. Go figure.

It's really weird how those things work. I have caught myself thinking "I wonder why I haven't ever found XYZ brand," and moments or days later, it pops up somewhere. I don't know whether it's because I'm suddenly more focused on finding it or pure coincidence.

I went through 300+ ties yesterday and thought "I haven't found a Drakes, even vintage." Two minutes later and I had one in hand. I thought the same about Kiton and Hermés. No one in my city sells Hermés, but they do in Vienna. I had really hoped to find my first.

I had simply assumed that you had found other Brioni stuff simply because you hit so many stores. Congrats, then, on your first jacket! You did really well on it!

Awesome.

I am nearly 30 so I feel I straddle the line between the Gen Y and Millenial generations.  My first cell phone was when I was 16 and it was a giant Nokia brick.  Instant messaging came out long before that and grammar, etc. had already begun to deteriorate online.  I can say that after college, having to use proper spelling and grammar in the workplace reversed whatever deterioration had occurred in my writing style.  I assume the same will be true for Ian.  It is a cultural and generational phenomenon that is temporary.  Professionals will never stand for shorthand in formal written word, whether a simple memo internally or a published work.

Hope this helps.

I actually just read the recap of a survey that discussed grammar in written business communication. The respondents said that they don't put a lot of thought into their own writing, nor do they feel that it is important. However, those same respondents said that grammar was very important in emails they receive. The managers even said that terrible grammar was a worse offense than being overcharged.

I don't have a problem with typos or mistakes for the most part. I just get distracted when I read sentences that have misplaced commas or lack punctuation. I didn't mean to single Ian out on this, but it's true. I have no doubt that as he gets older, he will likely change his writing style.

I personally feel that writing (especially in the business environment) tells you a lot about the person. It gives indications of their attention to detail, education, and sensitivity to readers. If you've ever received an email that is simply a block of text rather than separated thoughts, you know what I mean. It's hard to read and the writer didn't think about the reader's point of view.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics