• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

creampiggy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Today I picked up a NWOT thigh length Brooks Brothers rain shell, pretty recent, and a Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Stormsystem navy lambswool overcoat, made in Italy (similar to this).

Today I found a NWOT Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Stormsystem lambswool overcoat too, in black though, fits me perfectly!

What is the size of the overcoat you found?

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do any of you come across any Versace (or patterned shirts in the vein of the izod on this page)?

No ****.

MKB

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
^ Congrats! Pics of the J Crew coat? How much did you pay for it?

I second that. Would love to see pictures of that coat (and hear how much you paid).

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by creampiggy
Today I found a NWOT Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Stormsystem lambswool overcoat too, in black though, fits me perfectly!

What is the size of the overcoat you found?

Good find! It's roughly a 40-42, no tagged size that I've found yet. It fits me pretty well, although I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it. I likely will. It's awfully nice.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
found a le creuset tea pot for $3-4. The label on the bottom is not modern but other than that I am not sure how old it is. Also some great mirro bakeware (can anyone tell I am moving into a new place without a lot of the basics?)

This weekend I should be taking delivery of a blue dot 'sprout' dining table in yellow that my aunt saw at a store in st. paul. $30 with a couple of small nicks.

I also got a decent vacuum cleaner that was in perfect condition other than the broken belt...not too exciting but I love finding stuff that is "broken" but has some obvious $5 repair

MKB

Reaction score
otc, nice table. Should look even better with that le creuset sitting on it. The only problem I've sometimes found with old v.c.s is finding the bags for them. Now, get out there and find a pair of Aldens!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Coal_Mining_Polak
^ Congrats! Pics of the J Crew coat? How much did you pay for it?
$8. Thankfully she was there with me to try it on. Funny - it's tagged 2 sizes too small, but fits her perfectly. I never knew about this line. Looks like the stuff is kinda pricey for J. Crew stuff, after seeing this jacket and checking out some of their current stuff on the website. Looks like it's also women's only. I'll snap a couple photos of it when I get home - she took it straight home and already wore it out tonight with her friends. She absolutely hates thrifting, emphasis on hate. She was actually taking a nap in the car while I was in the store today when I called her and told her to come in to try it on. Needless to say, she was pretty happy walking out of the store, and probably won't despise thrifting as much now.
biggrin.gif
OTC, wow - $30 for Blu Dot? I like the table. I think I know where you got this, at a thrift in northern St. Paul awhile back that seemed to get Blu Dot floor models and slightly damaged stuff. I almost bought a media center, but then I figured I wouldn't have room in the house, nor would I be able to get it home.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife totally waits in the car while I go into thrift stores too.

She's really nice about it, though
smile.gif

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MKB
The only problem I've sometimes found with old v.c.s is finding the bags for them.!

It is bagless and not really old at all (although I would love to find an old electroluxe or something that would similarly last a lifetime with repair). I honestly think the previous owners thought it was broken...

Originally Posted by Nataku
OTC, wow - $30 for Blu Dot? I like the table. I think I know where you got this, at a thrift in northern St. Paul awhile back that seemed to get Blu Dot floor models and slightly damaged stuff. I almost bought a media center, but then I figured I wouldn't have room in the house, nor would I be able to get it home.

I would guess that you are correct. My aunt was there looking for some other blue dot stuff (I would guess someone told her about it) but it had already been sold. I feel you on the not being able to get it home...hence why I moved in here on january 1st and am still lacking a dining table

tsaltzma

Reaction score
Today I found Brooks Brothers Hudson Cords NWOT, a BB navy vest, a NWT shirt from a local store by Troy shirt makers guild, and -

a Polo cashmere sweater, which I think may be a knockoff. The label is odd. It is black, and it says Polo Ralph Lauren, with no box around the Polo. It is a nice looking/feeling sweater, but is it a fake?

Yesterday -

Lamode vintage sterling silver oval cufflinks & tie tack
London Fog brown tweed herringbone driving cap
Trafalgar belt
Ralph Lauren cashmere scarf
BB tweed sportcoat
J. Peterman western(?) vest - looks like a western vest but buttons low
vintage made in usa Woolrich wool railroad vest
vintage made in usa LL Bean sweater.

One of the stores by me had a bunch of belts from nordstrom NWOT, some with remnants of tags for $8 each, but nothing in my size.

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tsaltzma
One of the stores by me had a bunch of belts from nordstrom NWOT, some with remnants of tags for $8 each, but nothing in my size.

You know you can get most belts cut down to size.

Ryan Graber

Reaction score
these are not very recent (about 3.5 weeks ago), but I found a Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche suit, 4 valentino sportcoats (not great but 2 bucks a piece, A battaglia sport coat(Probably some chincy brand but i like the buttons) an Armani colezioni shirt, an emporio armani shirt, 2 Brioni shirts, a prada shirt, a Dolce and Gabbana shirt, a blumarine sweater, a valentino sweater, a versace classic sweater(No signs of wear)2 nwt I Livreri 50 cashmere and silk sweaters, a Giorgio Armani tie, a barcelinos tie, 2 valentino ties, a zegna tie, a lanvin tie. I also saw a bunch of other noteworthy stuff that i passed on because, I had enough junk from that store, wrong size, or didnt want, a few hugo boss suits, a few burberry sportcoats/ suits, 3 oxxfords in a 44(too big) missing buttons on one, moth holes on the second and a huge gash in the 3rd, 10-12 valentino uomo sportcoats, bunches of robert talbott ties, a couple canali suits, 2 armani black label sportcoats (one may have been orphaned suit jacket) a zegna sport coat, and the last of the notable passes but not the least was a Zegna tuxedo(I think it was it had satin lapels) that was a size 46 (tent-like) it was a very recent label, tag in the pocket(3000 and something) here is where it gets bad, the back had blown out, like a really obese man stretched in it or something, the pants had sweat(maybe pis) stains, the armpits where stained up pretty bad too. It went from wow this is awesome to WTF, where is my hand sanitizer
(the above haul was gathered over a 4 day period from dec 23 to dec 27)
(It was my first thrifting adventure)
(I'm potentially hooked)
(Am going again in early Feb)
sorry for the run-on/ horrid phrasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy