• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pejsek

Reaction score
Finally after a long while some real progress on the Anglomania front. Ebay flippers were on guard, but somehow I managed to outsmart them: immaculate Vivienne Westwood Red Label women's suit in teal blue Harris tweed with an amazing curved black velvet collar; T&A heavy flannel tartan robe (could have used that during the cold snap last week). When I got home I looked up the suit in the Vivienne Westwood monograph and it turns out it's from the 1990 Portrait collection, which was inspired by early 19th century clothing. It's an amazing cut and a good reminder of how rich the English tradition is. Reverence is rarely present at home.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
"No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die."

The notorious Death by a Dozen Buttons, I suppose.

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I found an Anderson & Sheppard navy jacket. I think it's an orphaned suit jacket as the buttons aren't blazer buttons. The jacket could easily work as a blazer with swapped buttons, or probably even as it is. - $4

In the pocket were some linen pocket squares and a Kent handmade comb.

Doorstop

Reaction score
Had to go be excited somewhere,

Pulled my first RLPL today, long sleeve black polo, cashmere. I may wear this every day until it gets too hot. I was probably more excited than anyone should be in a Goodwill.

tsaltzma

Reaction score
I found an oddity today. It is a J. Peterman tan suede jacket, in the style of a safari or bush jacket. First I thought it was kinda weird. Then I tried it on, and kinda liked it. I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but I picked it up anyway. It has a belt as well which is currently hidden on the back.

00001-2.jpg

I also found the classic Filson Red/black wool mackinaw vest, a vintage A&F tan blazer, a HSM herringbone overcoat, and this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

It's a bit too large for me at 44L, but if someone wants to trade or buy lemme know. Otherwise I may flip or consign.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big thrifting day for me. The highlight was the suit rack in a GW. I'm going down the line, next jacket is a 3 roll 2 tweed.........J Press, my size.......next is another 3/2, Norman Hilton.......next 3/2 tweed is a Southwick, my size........next is a 3/2 Chipp, too small for me but like new. I left the Norman Hilton because it had excessive wear, but the other 3 are in excellent condition.

I found 3 fresh Vineyard Vines polos in another store, my size and $2.78 each.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
That's crazy. Thank you for posting it. Really enjoyed seeing it.

De nada.

My 24/12 is in preparation.

Other notes: one previous poster said all he found was J. Crew. J. Crew is fine, piece for piece the best styled mall brand. You can build from J. Crew basics the way I can't from Gap stuff. Most Gap is just good for insulation. My late J. Crew finds include a jean-style jacket in rose- colored denim twill; a gray pinpoint oxford shirt with rounded collar points, and a forest green cardigan-style lambswool sweater vest with woven leather buttons. Each as at least one detail of style or color that distinguishes it from generic Everyclothing, and my own more individual wardrobe items can make the outfit particularly mine.

Rarer finds lately include a run of Lat-Am bespoke. In the past I have found vintage Carioca flannel coats with A&S style shoulders, and more recently a Sao Paulo-made flannel coat. Most recent additions include a SB peak lapel flannel tux coat made in Havana in 1942 ("Casa Stein"), and a bespoke DB drape tux coat made in Caracas.

One domestic find is a black Nehru coat made in 1968 in NY for an L Kirstein. Size and style of coat suggest original client was the New York City Ballet impresario Lincoln Kirstein, who died in 1996.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An unusual find from yesterday. 100% polyester. Izod, note the ancient tag. I'm thinking this would be perfect for that trip to Vegas.
sales1-17-10006.jpg

emptym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nataku
Here's something a little different. A J.C. Penny's wool casual shirt from the 50's. Most stuff of this vintage in any size has such a bizzare fit (short and wide - literally ending at my waistline), but this fits perfect. The sleeves and length are perfect, as is the width of the shirt. Amazing condition, no holes, rips, missing buttons, etc.

This is a reminder of how great these stores used to be. The shirt is really well made with very cool details. The chest pockets have two compartments, one under the flap and one behind it. They used cool color-coordinated striped fabric to line the back of the pocket. Anyway, $3 well-spent.

P1020452.jpg

Great shirt!

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Thanks - It's been put into my regular rotation of casual lazy-day (basically everyday for me) shirts. I've worn it about 3 times now and gotten atleast 4 compliments on it from people while I was out and about.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Steve Smith
An unusual find from yesterday. 100% polyester. Izod, note the ancient tag. I'm thinking this would be perfect for that trip to Vegas.

sales1-17-10006.jpg

Very swanky - it would indeed go with the Vegas style.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, things must really be slow if this fell back to page 7 during tax season!

Well, my theory worked, just like clockwork. My local Goodwill never puts out the good stuff (they don't get much, so they pick everything remotely nice to send to Second Debut). Well, every year around tax season (Jan-Feb), they get bombarded with donations and a lot of stuff slips through the cracks, or they run out of room in the "nice stuff bins" or whatever they use to store it in until the SD truck comes to pick it up. Well, today I found 3 Thomas Pink shirts, a Sulka casual shirt ,a brand new J. Crew Collection rugby stripe wool coat with $595 price tags on it and a Audrey Talbott (women's Talbott line) pink blouse for my wife. Nicest score I've had here since last February!

Coal_Mining_Polak

Reaction score
^ Congrats! Pics of the J Crew coat? How much did you pay for it?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Today I picked up a NWOT thigh length Brooks Brothers rain shell, pretty recent, and a Brooks Brothers Loro Piana Stormsystem navy lambswool overcoat, made in Italy (similar to this).

GiltEdge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooks Brother's hand made in the USA suit, glen plaid $15 (100% wool, maybe 25 years old, looks like a Tom Ford cut, between the plaid and sprawling labels with hardcore handwork)
Hickey Freeman (with nordstrom tag) $20 (95% wool, 4% cashmere, 1% mink) no visible handwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sistersaucy