• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mystillwater
the vast majority of the clothing in my local shops are XL and up.

Those come from the dead overweight. Gotta thank MickeyD's for that.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Those come from the dead overweight. Gotta thank MickeyD's for that.

laugh.gif

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
laugh.gif

Just sayin' - the best finds are 90% dead peoples stuff.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Just sayin' - the best finds are 90% dead peoples stuff.

How true. I remember being at an estate sale run by some guy and his wife - must have been in their 50s - anyway, his parents had just died within three months of each other, and they were clearing out the contents of his parents' house by holding this estate sale. I felt a little weird trying on the guy's overcoats, and finding stuff in the pockets... (of course I promptly handed over to the son all the stuff what was in the coat pockets to the son).

I guess at a thrift, you don't know if someone just gained or lost a bunch of weight, or whether they got tired of the clothes and are going for a new look, or whatever, but at this estate sale, there was no question that you were trying on dead people's stuff. A bit unsettling... needless to say I didn't buy any clothes...

EBTX66

Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
... I remember being at an estate sale run by some guy and his wife - must have been in their 50s - anyway, his parents had just died within three months of each other, and they were clearing out the contents of his parents' house by holding this estate sale... A bit unsettling... needless to say I didn't buy any clothes...

I thought I'd feel the same way until a lady at my church offered me a couple of suits that her recently deceased husband had owned. The guy was a sharp dresser in the middle-American, starched shirt, Hickey-Freeman mode. I told her I'd be honored though secretly I was sort of creeped out.

I ended up with a Hickey Freeman and Hartmarx Gold Trumpeter. They wouldn't get any respect on SF but they are good basics and perfect for church in Dallas. I really liked the guy but I couldn't bring myself to wear them for a few months. When I finally did I bumped to his widow. She complimented me on my shirt and tie combo with it and said she knew he'd be happy his suits found a good home and that they still made their way to church. I came this close to wailing like a chick watching "Titanic". It did make me feel good once I thought about it that way.

I guess when I check out I'd like to see my stuff go to someone who'd appreciate it: especially the sweat equity of the hours put in thrifting. I'd hate to think of some shmuck flipping it on eBay to finance his bottle service, or Nataku getting ahold of it and burning it all to keep his Brionis warm.
laugh.gif

mco543

Reaction score
I recently found a trench with a blue label reading "Aquaberry", any idea? I've never heard of it before and couldnt find anything on google.

mystillwater

Reaction score
another decent haul the other day..

2 Hickey Freeman suits (navy subtle POW in wool and a charcoal flannel with tan chalkstripe) labeled "Bespoke Collection" or something to that effect
PRL Tan Herringbone Tweed SC
A few Harris Tweed SCs
PRL Tartan shirt w/ spread collar... weird but VERY stylish
Camelhair SC - Local MTM in my size
Navy SC in kind of a camelhair material in my size
Cabelas Goretex Chinos - bad ass... marked 32 but fits a 30 (very disappointing)

Sartorialess

Reaction score
Hello all, this is my first post on styleforum but this thread is what got me hooked. As you can tell from my name, I haven't really figured it all out yet but I've been trying. Based on this thread I've been thrifting for about 3.5 months in the suburbs of Kansas City and I thought I'd share my better finds with you all!

Shoes
To Boot New York brown suede
AE Canfield
AE Brentwood
Johnston & Murphy Limited cordovan colored with medallion

Ties
Lots of BB Makers and Robert Talbott
1 each of Zegna, Turnbull&Asser, Armani, Gucci, Hermes

Sportcoats
2 Harris Tweed--black/grey herringbone brown/brown herringbone
Light Khaki-green color (don't know what it is) Brioni jacket
PRL blue blazer
Monty Sills bespoke Charcoal with red patterned silk lining and surgeon cuffs
Armani black label tan/black large glen plaid with brown windowpane
HSM Gold Trumpeter Charcoal w/red windowpane 3 buttons
Verl Custom Tailor tan/black micro check
Graham & Gunn Camel hair
Medium grey jacket from some SF tailor in 1959. Canvassed, 3/2 roll, 3 patch pockets

Shirts-not listing any of them to save space

Suits
Canali pinstripe
Hickey Freeman micro black/white pattern
Zegna mainline some dark, subtle pattern
BB Makers Hand Tailored glen plaid
something I've never heard of: the label is white and says "Karl Lagerfeld Couture" in script. Canvassed medium size black/white glen plaid with red windowpane

Overcoat
perfectly fitting black/grey herringbone tweed overcoat with 3/2 roll by someone called B.W. Harris

Thank you all again and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thrifted a sweet Brunello Cucinelli button up shirt.

Linen, white with orange pinstripes. Perfect condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 107 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads