• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recognize this thread is a thrifting highlights thread so the hauls posted might not be representative of daily thrifting experiences, but I'm wondering how often do you guys strike gold? I've been to all of my local Goodwills a dozen times and once came away with 4 Brioni shirts. All of the other times, nadda.

westling

Reaction score
Aagh, why do I never find shoes?
Nice haul!

Thanks! All of last year while searching for my size I found maybe two pairs of shoes that weren't Bostonians or Kenneth Cole Reactions or have massive cracks in the corrected grain. So a few days ago at this little shop I find a pair of brown Florsheim longwings followed the next day by a pair of black vintage Allen Edmonds longwings, I think to myself "Yay, I've hit my longwing quota this year", and then this. Here's my incentive to clean out the bottom of my closet.

MrDV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
4 brioni shirts in 12 trips is not that bad. (depending on where you live) i feel it's a numbers game. I only find good items when I'm religiously hitting several stores a week

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recognize this thread is a thrifting highlights thread so the hauls posted might not be representative of daily thrifting experiences, but I'm wondering how often do you guys strike gold? I've been to all of my local Goodwills a dozen times and once came away with 4 Brioni shirts. All of the other times, nadda.

this is about what you should expect

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I wanted to say thanks to everyone that I've done trades with (and proxies!) lately, including Capnwes, FaceOfBoh, Brianpore, Spoopoker, and highlifeman (it should be here soon!).

I also wanted to give a big thanks to Ocooney. I came home to a package that had a very nice note and a bundle of stuff. He sent me an unsolicited thank you gift for setting up the secret santa gift exchange. It wasn't necessary of him to do, but he's a real class act! I love the stuff and wanted to show it off to everyone:

L to R: Mattabisch (possibly Kiton's maker? I can't remember, but I like it!), Massimo Bizzocchi, Zegna, Sulka

RLPL tie and AWESOME trafalgar braces with a cowboy theme

Thanks again to everyone for all of the trades and gifts! I already wore the Sulka today and I received a compliment.

My secret santa got in touch with me and said mine is on the way, I can't wait!

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

4 brioni shirts in 12 trips is not that bad. (depending on where you live) i feel it's a numbers game. I only find good items when I'm religiously hitting several stores a week

I hit up about 10 different stores once a week, some of those more. Consistancy is certainly the key.

I wish I had started learning about clothing earlier in my life! I'm sure I walked past some really good stuff over the years!

flatspotting

Reaction score
Alright... I finally had a chance to at least get to 2 stores today... not nearly as much as I would like - but I got some stuff :)

Shirts:

Armani Collezioni (With super long sleeves just for me!!)

Canali (Probably available):

Polo Ralph Lauren Safari Style Shirt... I dont really know anything at all about it... fits me well but not sure if it's my style... if anyone knows the details of a shirt like this let me know, is it simply a safari shirt? Newer? Older? I am so new to all this...

Here it is:

Up next, Sport Coats!

Brooks Bros Country Club Two-Button Blazer (Loro Piana Fabric) At this time not available probably a gift for my dad, but if someone REALLY wants it and has the perfect belt or shoes for me... well I will just have to trade.

Next up,

Ermenegildo Zegna Blue Houndstooth 3-Button Blazer - AVAILABLE - 58EU 48US - there are 2 TINY stains in the last picture, I can try to treat them, or if someone wants it and would rather try it themselves... but this is available... if only it fit me, I absolutely love it.

Stain does almost look like blood.... lol... hmm Hydrogen Peroxide anyone....

Alright so this is what I found - if there is anything you want just let me know, hell, even if it is unavailable, if you have the right offer I will trade or sell :)

Hope I did well! I am still so new haha

I did pass on a Blazer that fit my nicely, it was 55% Silk 45% Wool, but the only taggings were made in Canada and "Bruje" so I left it behind :s

Last edited:

Randy

Reaction score
It's actually supposed to be an intra-uterine device.

Last edited:

lastdonb

Reaction score
Strike gold you ask, why only once, just so happens to be my 2012 submission:

Oxxford SC with 14k gold buttons:

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ATLjon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Props to my Cincy-based Secret Santa. Thanks for all the loot!

I'll definitely put the Candy cane BB and the Chipp ties to use this weekend!

staxringold

Reaction score
Anyone know where Paul Stuart shirts fall in terms of quality/flippability? Passed on a funky pink regular Paul Stuart shirt I would've bought for myself but didn't want to risk flipping, and a Paul Stuart Sea Island Cotton because of a small stain on the sleeve. But I'd like to know for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads