The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

lol @ 50k

and holy feck at DM7 .... cant wait to read that article. how the hell he does it: DM7 the memoir

2. concealed

concealed Senior member

Spoo must be paying them in luxeswap coupons and handjobs for the exposure he gets!

3. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

As far as the PTO listing, have people checked out the PTO saved e-bay searches? I assume PTO gets its listing from what those searches bring in. Maybe there are certain keywords or brands that turn up on the PTO searches and listings could be designed to trigger them? (It occurs to me -- as someone who has never listed anything on e-bay -- that you guys probably know a lot more about how this works than I do.)

As for DM7's super-mega-ultra-haul and soon-to-open-store, if it all came from a gigantic estate sale, two questions: (1) what mega-wealthy guy died recently? and (2) what size was he? (seriously, are all the clothes the same size?)

4. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Funny story...

The clothes came from a guy who died who hoarded high end men's clothing from estate sales in the bay area

edit: so (2) many sizes

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

5. pack66

pack66 Active Member

Sorry to hear for your loss. I had to do the same thing a few years ago. It wasn't easy and it still stings all these years later.

6. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

DM, this dude is going to haunt you ala the poltergeist for breaking up his tie collection.

7. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Ring? I think the word you're looking for is buckle.

And yeah, I have had it done. Cheap, quick job, but impossible to do perfectly. The cobbler will have to stitch through the lining as well as the upper itself, and the stiching is probably going to be and look heavier duty than the original. It doesn't affect a thing and it's only visible with close inspection, but somebody might care. I can't imagine who, but I'd disclose it in whatever listing.

8. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Nah man... I think he's pretty happy the items didn't end up donated/flea market. At least they'll get to an appreciative customer.

9. Beck

Beck Senior member

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

When I first started thrifting, I had terrible nightmares that the people who died whose clothes I was selling were haunting me. True story.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I think most of us just leave that stuff in thrifts unless it fits. There are some lesser known brands around, like, say, Hanover shoes, to the point where there's a market, they just bring less money than comparable shoes, but I don't think there's any sort of market for wonderful high quality goods that are brandless or just aren't on anyone's radar. I've left some very nice, obviously bespoke suits behind in thrifts before because there's no way, apart from maybe this thread, to get them to people who would appreciate them. It's a shame, since my favorite jacket is a brandless, beat up old Harris Tweed. I know the stuff is good, I just hope that somebody with an eye for quality who wears that size walks through the door at some point. It's just too large a risk financially- it might sell, it might not, and if it does sell, it's only going to be for a small amount.

12. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

[​IMG] [​IMG] There is hope after all [​IMG]

13. staxringold

staxringold Senior member

Did a quick run after the bank today. Anyone know how well Hugo Boss blazers move on eBay? Left a 48ish tan one (no size tag, but just barely didn't fit me) because I felt uncertain. If it fit I would've snatched it in a second as hey, worst case, Hugo Boss blazer. Also had to leave a nice Southwick blazer because of some holes in the sleeve. Still, grabbed my first thrifted coat.

42R Brooks Brothers 346 Navy 3-button SC. 97% wool. Spare buttons! AVAILABLE
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Indeed it is. Nice! Deets?
    If anyone had a chance to become a millionaire doing this (besides Spoo), it's you. Keep it up man - you're hitting the big time! :slayer:
    :wow: That is pure insanity! A Leica in a thrift!! Wow!

15. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.