• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuel Smith

Reaction score
lol @ 50k

and holy feck at DM7 .... cant wait to read that article. how the hell he does it: DM7 the memoir

Septimus

Reaction score
As far as the PTO listing, have people checked out the PTO saved e-bay searches? I assume PTO gets its listing from what those searches bring in. Maybe there are certain keywords or brands that turn up on the PTO searches and listings could be designed to trigger them? (It occurs to me -- as someone who has never listed anything on e-bay -- that you guys probably know a lot more about how this works than I do.)

As for DM7's super-mega-ultra-haul and soon-to-open-store, if it all came from a gigantic estate sale, two questions: (1) what mega-wealthy guy died recently? and (2) what size was he? (seriously, are all the clothes the same size?)

darkmatter7

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As far as the PTO listing, have people checked out the PTO saved e-bay searches? I assume PTO gets its listing from what those searches bring in. Maybe there are certain keywords or brands that turn up on the PTO searches and listings could be designed to trigger them? (It occurs to me -- as someone who has never listed anything on e-bay -- that you guys probably know a lot more about how this works than I do.)

As for DM7's super-mega-ultra-haul and soon-to-open-store, if it all came from a gigantic estate sale, two questions: (1) what mega-wealthy guy died recently? and (2) what size was he? (seriously, are all the clothes the same size?)

Funny story...

The clothes came from a guy who died who hoarded high end men's clothing from estate sales in the bay area

edit: so (2) many sizes

Last edited:

pack66

Reaction score
Today was rough, I had to put down my 13 year old malamute. I'm gonna hit the thrifts tomorrow to try and cheer myself up.

Sorry to hear for your loss. I had to do the same thing a few years ago. It wasn't easy and it still stings all these years later.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DM, this dude is going to haunt you ala the poltergeist for breaking up his tie collection.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Two pairs of shoes now.....two later

Has anyone had the elastic on the "ring" part of the strap changed by a cobbler? Easy/hard? Expensive/Cheap?​

Ring? I think the word you're looking for is buckle.

And yeah, I have had it done. Cheap, quick job, but impossible to do perfectly. The cobbler will have to stitch through the lining as well as the upper itself, and the stiching is probably going to be and look heavier duty than the original. It doesn't affect a thing and it's only visible with close inspection, but somebody might care. I can't imagine who, but I'd disclose it in whatever listing.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I first started thrifting, I had terrible nightmares that the people who died whose clothes I was selling were haunting me. True story.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Guys, sorry to interlope, but I have a quick question from somebody who's a complete n00b at thrifting:
I feel like there might be a certain type of person out there (like me) who has no objection to wearing used clothing, but lacks either the time, the knowledge, or the store access to make a go of it. This person could hit up eBay and search for big-name brands that folks like you have thoughtfully bought and flipped--but there'll still be a whole lot of quality product from obscure brands that slips through the cracks (or brandless product whose quality you guys can tell but whose quality is difficult to convey to the hoi polloi).
Has anyone attempted to bridge this gap, either through a thread, a market, or just informal proxies? It seems like a good way for you guys to be able to get more money and for people like me to get better clothes on the cheap.

I think most of us just leave that stuff in thrifts unless it fits. There are some lesser known brands around, like, say, Hanover shoes, to the point where there's a market, they just bring less money than comparable shoes, but I don't think there's any sort of market for wonderful high quality goods that are brandless or just aren't on anyone's radar. I've left some very nice, obviously bespoke suits behind in thrifts before because there's no way, apart from maybe this thread, to get them to people who would appreciate them. It's a shame, since my favorite jacket is a brandless, beat up old Harris Tweed. I know the stuff is good, I just hope that somebody with an eye for quality who wears that size walks through the door at some point. It's just too large a risk financially- it might sell, it might not, and if it does sell, it's only going to be for a small amount.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Funny story...

The clothes came from a guy who died who hoarded high end men's clothing from estate sales in the bay area

edit: so (2) many sizes
lurker[1].gif
nest.gif
There is hope after all
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

staxringold

Reaction score
Did a quick run after the bank today. Anyone know how well Hugo Boss blazers move on eBay? Left a 48ish tan one (no size tag, but just barely didn't fit me) because I felt uncertain. If it fit I would've snatched it in a second as hey, worst case, Hugo Boss blazer. Also had to leave a nice Southwick blazer because of some holes in the sleeve. Still, grabbed my first thrifted coat.

42R Brooks Brothers 346 Navy 3-button SC. 97% wool. Spare buttons! AVAILABLE

Last edited:

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey dudes, is this the givenchy I'm looking for?
IMAG0442_zpsce5bb4df.jpg
Indeed it is. Nice! Deets?
****... no bragging post... over 1500 items in this haul... another 1000 from the last I haven't been able to brag about... another 800 by the end of the week...
There is no way I can inventory and photo this stuff... Here's the breakdown of this haul... Suits: 65-70 ~20 Brioni, a few RLPL, 10 oxxford, a few Isaia, Zegna... Shirts: 150-200: Mostly Brioni, RLPL, Turnbull Asser, Charvet, one Kiton.... Pants: 150-200: Tons of Zanella, Incotex, Brioni, Barbera... Ties: 1000+: Imagine any high end brand (Kiton, Charvet, Brioni, Hermes, Turnbull & Asser, Sulka, RLPL), there's 10-50 of each, maybe 150 zegna (I just spotted a zegna for patek phillippe
nod%5B1%5D.gif
) Suspenders: About 50 trafalgar, some limited edition prints Shoes: 4: Not much to brag about
The story: I cleared out a pretty awesome estate sale By the end of the week, I'll be dealing with over 3500 items... bragging will be limited. ..... yeah.... oh... I'm pulling a spoo and launching a full blown webstore too... a little more comprehensive than luxeswap actually... It's up now (but pretty hidden), I should be launching it near the end of the week.... That's the story folks... onwards to post 50k!
If anyone had a chance to become a millionaire doing this (besides Spoo), it's you. Keep it up man - you're hitting the big time! :slayer:
Ok, so this was definitely not bought at normal thrift prices, but was an exceptionally good deal I couldn't pass up. As many of you know, before I got into this menswear bit, I used to deal in collectibles. Mainly vintage cameras. This was on the top of my list of cameras to find, but until yesterday I had never even laid eyes on one in person. This was in an antique mall, in the booth where I usually find bulk bags of cufflinks. I never looked in the glass case above the cufflinks so I have no idea how long this was sitting there.
1962 Leica M3 (Body Only)
:wow: That is pure insanity! A Leica in a thrift!! Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads