1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Senior member

And it helps to sell those US citizens who have no idea that Macau is part of China, and have an aversion to buying stuff "Made in China".

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Right...It sounds like a tropical island.

3. messenger309

messenger309 Well-Known Member

Question. I picked up this Dinno Gallucci leather coat because it was in great shape and my size. However. Buttons up the other side. Mens or Womens? It is sized Medium and fits like a mens medium. I would have expected a number size for a women's coat. My wife hates it. Available. Butter soft leather.

[​IMG]
    Also, Allen Edmonds Manchester is good shape. 9D Available.

[​IMG]

4. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Senior member

I can't send you pictures as I don't have them anymore! Those $5 Kiton sportcoats happened YEARS ago [​IMG] Your outfit is fantastic! Very well fitted and nicely put together! Well done! But.... clean your mirror. It seems quite dirty in the first picture. [​IMG]

[​IMG] I would LOVE to see what those Valentini pants look like! They sound absolutely gorgeous! Are they a size 40 by chance??

Thank you for your kind words! I'm very open to trading with you all. I mean, if I find something that's my husbands size, chances are he'll take it. But if I find something that's not his size, you all will get the dibs. I'm not gonna leave a high end sportcoat on the rack! That would be completely dumb of me! I'm not too concerned about getting women's clothes in return. I'm quite picky when it comes to my style, lol. I wear unique shirts. I could always use jeans though! If you find those jeans that have that "bedazzled" look on the back pockets AND in a size 5, please let me know!

5. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Yes, but when it says Made in China, it means it's made in the mainland, where quality control tends to be atrocious. Where as in Macau, Hong Kong, are considered "new" old territory which has led me to think their quality control is a bit better. I don't have many garments that were made in Macau except for those APC's, but some of my Made in HK pieces are fairly quality and I'll take made in Macau pieces over Made in China pieces any day. [​IMG]
    Did somebody say "40S????!!!!!!" [​IMG] jk, jk!

6. quotientspace

quotientspace Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, I just saw a Ben Silver Jacket with Penn Buttons. [​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  8. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

One of the jackets in my Etsy shop got featured on Ivy Style today! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. GM-H

GM-H Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  10. DanM

DanM Senior member

Picked up a mess of ties, on Sunday, although nothing seriously brag worthy. Handful of Polo handmade ties:

[​IMG]

Bunch of BB vintage ties, last one on the right is a silk/Sea Island cotton blend.

[​IMG]

Couple of Talbott ancient madders.

[​IMG]

And then there was this one. Ebay search turned up nothing, but the pattern was neat and I hadn't seen anything totally in German before. By Laco for Herbert Stock. Anyone familiar with them? Hansderhund?

[​IMG]

11. MartiniGirl

MartiniGirl Senior member

You got it! It'll be our little secret! Sounds like a a tough size to find though. I'll be on the lookout! [​IMG]

Oh wow! How does that make you feel?! At first glance, I didn't realize those were golf clubs.... I thought it was Gianni Campagna's scissors from his label!

Well, I would wear this.... but...

[​IMG]

12. pack66

pack66 Active Member

I have a few finds that I have some questions on. I picked up two suits that I thought, initially, fit me. Unfortunately, one is a 40L that would cost about $155 to tailor to me. The coat on the other suit fit, but the pants needed some letting out. Unfortunately, when I was at my tailor, we found a patched hole that would be exposed. I'm still considering getting suit #1 done, but wanted to get some advice from the forum here. Also picked up a supposed "Christian Dior" shirt, but I'm not sure it's real. Hoping I can get some tag expertise if possible. Thanks in advance for the help.

-J

Suit #1, 40L and too long for me unless I want to spend $155. Anyone ever hear of Britches of Georgetown? Seems like an old local NoVA department store, perhaps?

[​IMG]

Legit Loro Piana tag?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Suit #2

40R I believe (coat fit me well and I'm about a 40R), but the pants were too tight for my 33-34 waist. Plenty of room to let them out, until I noticed the patch job. Anyone ever heard of the brand?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Christian Dior shirt, real or no?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pink, n/a.
    [​IMG]

Anyone here of this brand of shirt?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

So much [​IMG] in that last post...

Everything everyone else said plus I'm not sure a coat of that length is a flattering look for you. Makes you look kinda tiny.

I always assumed it was because those brands are made for the big fat Italian dudes who can afford them.

For what it's worth, I've heard nothing but good things about Unbranded, especially at the price point. A local store is selling them for $50 right now and I'm seriously considering getting a pair, even though I already have a denim backlog.

You could probably stand to get a below the knee taper on those, though. There's something weird going on on the right leg in that pic.

14. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Eazy has first dibs on this, coolest jacket I've found in awhile, and it is in absolute mint condition, as if never worn.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And I don't often ask this, but passed on a Burberry navy blazer. It was $5 but ventless. Good call?

15. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

16. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have the pants for that....in three different colors, waiting for warm weather to break.

17. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Weird, I got the pants for this too.....found them yesterday.

[​IMG]

18. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

Wow. Pics on the Isaia trousers, please. I'm sure that it happened, but still...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.