• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I use one of these babies:

Manufactured circa 1955 and still going strong. I bought mine at a car boot sale for £1, they sometimes appear on eBay for next to nothing but be warned, they are 220-240 volts

I've never heard of such a thing but it looks cool as hell. Mildly dangerous as well!

Ebay sells everything!

Vintage Working Electric Mens Necktie Presser or Iron 14" Iron Plate NEAT Tie

BTW...after listening to the advice in this thread, I'm keeping the RLPL white polo from the other day. Thanks for screwing my head on straight!

Last edited:

grendel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The temptation to overpay buy for myself was pretty strong at a couple of points today, but I'm proud of myself that I resisted. If, however, I happen to sleep walk back to the store and get one of those two HF overcoats, I won't be broken up about it.

What size were the HF coats, and how much?

mjt73106

Reaction score
The bag man striketh again (though on a much lower level).

Yesterday I dropped by the GW that I'll be establishing residency at due to proximity in a few weeks. Anyway it was just before closing, and I didn't have much time to do a complete sweep of the place. Walked past the pile, and I mean pile of bags and stuff in the back of the store when this little guy caught my eye.

Hello Mr. Leitz!!!

For the non-photogs/camera nerds- E.Leitz = Ernst Leitz = Leica

Not a Billykirk by any means, but way stoked on this. Problem is, this sucker is dirty. As part of a costume shop's inventory, it was probably rented out on a lot of films. As you can see in the first picture, one of the snaps on the left is missing, but that's ok by me. They also seem to have retrofitted velcro tabs to the bag as well, which is pretty awesome since I'll hopefully make this a keeper/user for myself, and you can't see them with the flap closed.

How should I clean this thing? I can't exactly throw it in the washer the leather and all. Soap and brush in the sink?
Also the strap is too damn short, considering various options to lengthen it so that I don't loose the awesomeness of the original.
Exceptional find. IMO it would be worth the investment to have the snap repaired. Would probably be worth taking it to a upscale dry cleaner that could offer some advice in regard to both cleaning and repair.

Let me know when you get tired of it, or where you keep it when you are sleeping. . .

Late last year I found a very nice Leica III f rangefinder with a 5cm summar that I eBayed to Hong Kong. Great stuff.

Evil Abed

Reaction score
That tie press looks 100% Cornballer on the danger scale.

Any of you ever listen to Astronautalis???

Right right, back to thrifting. Went out today desperately looking for furniture, ended up with another Corneliani made PRL sport coat that is **** for fall (I think it's 44R or L, I need to check), some black Florsheim V cleats sized 11D, and a first for me Hermes tie that needs Spooification, though I think it's kosher.

330CK

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Finally pulled down a great haul. It's been too long... All of this is new, and none of this is from a thrift, and it's all available. I'm willing to work a good deal for people with which I have a good rapport, but I'm not passing any of this on at cost and I'm not interested in trades for this stuff unless you have a pair of C&J boots. It'll all be up on B&S tomorrow or Sunday if no one here wants it. Just wanted to get that out of the way.

Zegna
Fabric on this is amazing. Top button is a little loose, but can be fixed while you're having the sleeve buttons put on. Awesome MOP buttons.
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0407.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0410.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

IMG_0414.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

Valentino Tailoring overcoat
Content tag looks like it was made by Isaia. Buttons I believe are natural MOP.
IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

PRL by Corneliani 100% silk sport coat
Natural MOP buttons
IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0439.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

RLBL SC
IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0445.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

IMG_0451.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Corneliani cargo khakis
IMG_0457.jpg

IMG_0458.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0461.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

Evil Abed

Reaction score

BohemianSpirit

Reaction score

Isn't it strange that so many sites use the wrong sequence? I wonder if that sequence (starting with blue) did exist at some stage??
They use it for their banner here for example:
http://onlineshopadicoholic.multiply.com/photos/album/56/.Coogi-High-Cut.
Here:
http://www.newera-capsoutlet.com/coogi-hats-c-9.html
Here (next to the image of the jeans):
http://www.coogijeansoutlet.com/coogi-men-baggy-casual-jeans-c-68.html
No wonder people get confused!

Recently I have noticed some sweaters that are definitely fake though, where the third letter is yellow, there is no R symbol, and not even the 100% next to mercerized cotton. And with very simple patterns. There are more and more on eBay... :(

barrelntrigger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sat next to her at a guns n roses concert, with jamie lynn sigler she was hot but not that hot

Please do tell that story! I'm all ears!

I picked up the Go Mini from Bed, Bath, & Beyond for $20. It's the one people say sometimes breaks on them, but for $20, I decided to give it a shot. I've only used it a little bit, but so far I like it. No problems, and I like that it has an actual on/off switch.

How do steamers compare to hanging your woolens in the bathroom while turning hot shower water on for about 20 minutes?

Mosh story time: this was a few weeks ago at Outside Lands festival in SF. It's like my 4th or 5th time seeing Metallica, except here it's all open instead of stadiums so I got up really close. Even though the crowd at OL was mainly hipsters, people still came out just for Metallica. Of course mosh pit. Having a good time. Towards the end, some giant decided to pick on me a bit. No problem. One unfortunate hit taken to the rib cage and bam fractured rib. Thrifting hasn't been that much fun since.

Also, Dustin Kensrue from Thrice is a complete badass.

PPS, that's the good Lanvin.

Wow! That sucks! You doing ok?

I sure hope so, as I have a pair of charcoal flannel flat front (slim) RLPL trousers headed there Sunday evening, if someone doesn't want them here. Size 36 waist.

From my experience, if it's in good condition, you should have no problems getting north of $100.

I've never been great at rote memorization of song titles, but I could probably approximately name 30-40 songs by those specific artists. How many Company Flow, J Dilla, Busdriver, Pharcyde, Antipop Consortium, Digable Planets etc songs can you name off the top of your head? Probably none.

More than anything, I come from an understand of underground music, whether it be punk, metal, hardcore, noise, or hip hop. It just so happens that hip hop beats hit the mainstream sooner and more pervasively than John Wiese noise experiments.

However, you have artists like Johnny Jewel contributing to Oscar nominated films (Drive) so the underground does gets through in unexpected ways.

Hip hop is generally about "look-at-me" lyrics and spitting game about ****** women will get people to look at you. Earl's 18, he's young and dumb.

Youth makes music exciting and generally introduces the freshest ideas. Period.

Speaking of Rap and Hip Hop culture, I thought I'll bring up some interesting information, it was many years ago I stumbled upon a video explaining the influence of 52 Hand Blocks on Hip Hop culture. According to some people in the video, B-Boyers, or break dancers (whatever you want to call them) got the idea of "battles" from watching 52 Hand Blocks practitioners practicing and demonstrating their fighting system. I tried looking for the video but to no avail. So instead I'll leave those of you who cares with this video.

Lol. I think Macklemore is from Seattle.

lol8[1].gif

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks, man!
Deal is: I hit a bunch of consignment shops today plus a massively overpriced GW (everyone near Connecticut knows where I'm talking about). ...
I may go back for that Versace -- at least to take pics. It was at the same place as the Graham, which I'm regretting leaving, and the HF overcoats. Versace was peak lapel, single breast and dual vent. Looked shorter, so I suspect recent. I suspect it was just a jacket, because the top row at this place is mostly SCs, and it it was in among them. What say Spoo?

Was this near/in Greenwich? If so, you may have smelled my cologne lingering in the air still :devil:

Cant say nut without pics...

GMMcL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was this near/in Greenwich? If so, you may have smelled my cologne lingering in the air still :devil:

Closer to Greenwich than, say, Cleveland, but not as close as, say, I am right now.

Will try to get some pics. Knew I should have taken them in the sto' but the owner was right there and was getting suspicious as to what I was up to.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
A little OT, but if any of you are like me, you need storage for all these GD clothes, at least judging by some of the pictures I've seen of you guys showing off your closets (which really, I don't understand, but go ahead, fly your freak flags, that's what this place is all about :) ) .

Some FB friend pinterested this blog this AM and I thought of you guys.

http://www.beforemeetsafterblog.com/2012/07/paris-grey-carved-dresser.html

She thrifts old, crappy looking but structurally sound and well jointed furniture, and uses chalk paint to make it not look like crap. I was thinking of doing this myself once I saw the results.

like this is one of her finished projects, one coat of paint and farting around with hardware, she turned a piece of ugly 1962 dresser into this

From a clothing storage point of view, you could do all right with that kind of space

Actually , you don't have to be that close. I can smell that reek up here in New Hampshire :rotflmao:

Last edited:

mjt73106

Reaction score
Long day, went thrifting all day, gone from the house for 12 hours, hit 16 stores.

BB,BB,BB,Zegna,Hickey Freeman, Brioni
How did I do for my first big thrifting trip?

If you are interested in anything, let me know and I can provide better pics.
Epic first score, welcome to the addiction. . .

clotheshound

Reaction score
Addiction??
Damn right it is an addiction!!
I am at the point now where I need an intervention.
If I don't hit Goodwill or Sally Ann at least 4 times a week to troll the racks, I get withdrawal and anxiety symptoms.
Now I equate every other purchase of disposable income to what I could have bought at a thrift. For example - If I buy a Big Mac trio for 5 bucks,I tell myself, "Why am I eating this ****?" For the same money, I could have a Zegna SC or a Brioni shirt.
Gas up the car for 40 bucks, WTF, instead of this ******* gas, I could have had 3 Canali suits, and a couple of Zegna cashmere jackets.
Am I a sick **** just like y'all??? LOL !!! ******* right it is an addiction. I can't stop myself !!! HELP !!!!!!!

Get me into Thrifting Anonymous ASAFP !!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads